02-08-2016 03:17 PM
58 123
tools
    Zagg glass is good. However I've gone through 2 replacements. Cost me 10 bucks cdn for shipping every time. I've been without a shield for almost month waiting for my replacement and my phone has been fine. I may just go without if this next one breaks.
    PDX97229 likes this.
    01-18-2016 09:14 PM
    Update: I checked it out and it has been reported that any case is likely to cause the edge of the SUPTECH Edge to Edge protector to lift. They do make one that isn't edge to edge for only $7.55. I guess I'll try that one. It doesn't have the alignment tabs (although I'm betting a removable label would work just fine), and I am concerned about edge chipping (which is probably an issue with any of the ones that don't go to the edge). If anyone has any experience with edge chipping (good or bad) I'd like to hear about it.
    01-19-2016 08:31 PM
    I have a wallet case on mine and it is fine. No lifting so far and I've had it on for about a month. I hope you find one you like. 😊
    PDX97229 likes this.
    01-27-2016 05:47 PM
    I have an zagg invisible shield and mines seems to be off a little. I think it's the way zagg cuts them because the S6 had the same problem at launch and they recalled the glass screens and then re released them
    PDX97229 likes this.
    01-28-2016 11:03 AM
    Thanks for your reply. There have been many complaints about the Zagg, so I have ruled it out. I'm going to get the SUPTECH.
    01-30-2016 07:42 PM
    I have a wallet case on mine and it is fine. No lifting so far and I've had it on for about a month. I hope you find one you like. ������
    Thanks for your reply. I think the wallet cases are more protective of the phone, and screen protectors. Still, it's interesting that you are using the edge to edge and the case isn't putting pressure on the protector. I would prefer to use the edge to edge version, but I'm concerned that it will come off if I have to remove my case. The edge of my case snaps onto & over the edge of my phone right up to, but not over, the screen. How does your phone go into your case?
    01-30-2016 07:54 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I think the wallet cases are more protective of the phone, and screen protectors. Still, it's interesting that you are using the edge to edge and the case isn't putting pressure on the protector. I would prefer to use the edge to edge version, but I'm concerned that it will come off if I have to remove my case. The edge of my case snaps onto & over the edge of my phone right up to, but not over, the screen. How does your phone go into your case?
    It does not overlap the front edge of the phone. I have not taken the case off of the phone since I installed it, so I'm not sure if there would be a problem with my other cases including a battery case which did chip the edge of my old non edge to edge tempered glass screen protector, so I'm pretty sure it would affect this one. I'm thinking a plain regular TPU would work ok since they don't apply a lot of pressure like a battery case would. 😊
    02-02-2016 09:59 AM
    I've heard Gorilla Glass 4 is the best available? Anyone used this?

Where to buy? Anywhere inexpensive other than Amazon because they often won't ship to Australia.
    02-02-2016 08:57 PM
    I've heard Gorilla Glass 4 is the best available? Anyone used this?

Where to buy? Anywhere inexpensive other than Amazon because they often won't ship to Australia.
    Gorilla Glass 4 is the glass that is used to make the Galaxy Note 5, as well as many other smartphones. To my knowledge, you cannot get a screen protector made out of Gorilla Glass.

-Shawn
    Noting the world one S-Pen at a time
    landyvlad and PDX97229 like this.
    02-03-2016 06:24 PM
    AH OK that makes sense, thanks.

Anyone know if there area any issues using tempered glass screen protectors with UAG cases?

Looking at this one specifically "Extreme GT True Touch ScreenGuard " ( I can't post a link as <10 posts.)
    02-03-2016 06:43 PM
    I got a glass protector from Amzer. The only flaw is a small bubble at the top that didn't work its way out. Otherwise, I like it.
    02-03-2016 07:18 PM
    For me, I would rather take a risk of a break or a scratch than put a screen protector on my phone. First, I use an excellent case, a Tech21 Tactical case which overlaps the front of the phone protecting the screen in a fall so long as it hits on the edge. Then I rely on the excellence of Gorilla Glass 4.

I have yet to scratch or break the screen on any of my many phones going back to my first smart phone, the Samsung Vibrant.

Watch the last one at your own risk:
    PDX97229 likes this.
    02-03-2016 11:58 PM
    AH OK that makes sense, thanks.

Anyone know if there area any issues using tempered glass screen protectors with UAG cases?

Looking at this one specifically "Extreme GT True Touch ScreenGuard " ( I can't post a link as <10 posts.)
    I can only speak for the zagg glass screen protector and can say that it leaves plenty of space for any case. No issues at all.

-Shawn
    Noting the world one S-Pen at a time
    02-04-2016 11:26 AM
    I bought a yootech note 5 protector and it works great. No halos and it does the job.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-04-2016 01:49 PM
    For me, I would rather take a risk of a break or a scratch than put a screen protector on my phone. First, I use an excellent case, a Tech21 Tactical case which overlaps the front of the phone protecting the screen in a fall so long as it hits on the edge. Then I rely on the excellence of Gorilla Glass 4.

I have yet to scratch or break the screen on any of my many phones going back to my first smart phone, the Samsung Vibrant.
    Thank you so much for your reply. I have the same case you have, and so far no screen issues, although I have only had the phone about 7 weeks. I have to admit that the information you have supplied makes me think that it's overkill to put a protector on. In the end it comes down to a replacement screen costing around $250 with loss of the use of the phone until it can be repaired, vs. the cost of a protector at between about $5 and $35. There are some great glass protectors at the very low end, so in MHO it is well worth the cost as insurance. I have always had protectors on my screens and never had any complaints with any of them, and none were glass. I really like the SUPTECH which only costs $7.55 at Amazon, and for $11.95 you can get the same thing with true Edge to Edge coverage. That's the direction I'm leaning in now.
    02-04-2016 07:20 PM
    It does not overlap the front edge of the phone. I have not taken the case off of the phone since I installed it, so I'm not sure if there would be a problem with my other cases including a battery case which did chip the edge of my old non edge to edge tempered glass screen protector, so I'm pretty sure it would affect this one. I'm thinking a plain regular TPU would work ok since they don't apply a lot of pressure like a battery case would. ������
    Thanks for getting back to me. I really like the Edge to Edge. It seems to me that one slip of the Note 5 stylus and any standard glass protector would easily chip. Plus the area between the protector and the edge of the phone would be a dust collector and impossible to clean. Since you aren't having a problem, and my case doesn't overlap the screen at all, I think I'll take a chance and order the Edge to Edge. Compared to the Zagg it's still a cheap protector and to replace it with the standard version is only a couple of dollars more than Zagg's shipping charge. It's a win-win all around. Thanks for your help.
    02-04-2016 07:28 PM
    Then I rely on the excellence of Gorilla Glass 4.
    I thought the Note 5 has Gorilla Glass 3! My mistake. I just got off a chat with Samsung and they confirmed that it's Gorilla Glass 4. I did watch the videos and it would seem that the risk is very small indeed. I have been told that the biggest risk is breaking from shock, but dropping a hammer on it from seven feet up seems like it would be substantial shock and it didn't do any damage (other than denting the edge of the frame - big surprise there). It looked like a small tack hammer though and I don't know what one of those weighs.
    02-04-2016 08:09 PM
    Small risk indeed regardless of the weight of the hammer. Those types of hazards are well beyond any that any of my phones have ever seen in the 6 years I've owned smart phones.

The most important thing to me is the quality of my enjoyment of the device versus the probability of a hazard causing any damage. Given the strength and scratch resistance of Gorilla Glass 4 I feel incredibly safe in going without screen protection, save for a good case that wraps around the front of the device. The Tech21 does just that.

The clarity and smoothness of the Gorilla Glass 4 is gorgeous. I am betting that I will never break or scratch a screen. I do understand the compulsion to want to protect one's investment but in this case I think it's like putting a bullet proof vest on the Terminator.
    PDX97229 and landyvlad like this.
    02-04-2016 08:18 PM
    Thank you so much for your reply. I have the same case you have, and so far no screen issues, although I have only had the phone about 7 weeks. I have to admit that the information you have supplied makes me think that it's overkill to put a protector on. In the end it comes down to a replacement screen costing around $250 with loss of the use of the phone until it can be repaired, vs. the cost of a protector at between about $5 and $35. There are some great glass protectors at the very low end, so in MHO it is well worth the cost as insurance. I have always had protectors on my screens and never had any complaints with any of them, and none were glass. I really like the SUPTECH which only costs $7.55 at Amazon, and for $11.95 you can get the same thing with true Edge to Edge coverage. That's the direction I'm leaning in now.
    Absolutely the most important consideration is your peace of mind and how you weigh risk vs. reward. The last thing I would ever want to do is influence anyone to avoid screen protection and then hear that they suffered a damaged or broken screen. These are just my personal values and observations.

Plus in the event of a damaged screen on my Note 5, although extremely unlikely, I do have a Galaxy S5 sitting in the drawer waiting to be called into service if my Note 5 needed repair. So downtime isn't a real concern here. I hear you, follow your instincts protect your phone.
    02-04-2016 09:23 PM
    I hear you, follow your instincts protect your phone.
    Actually, I'm reconsidering. I'm starting to think that there is no screen protector that can protect Gorilla Glass 4. If you can drop a hammer on it from 6 feet up without any damage to the screen, I don't think a screen protector will add anything. A diamond might scratch it, but unless you work with unmounted stones the diamond would never touch the screen. The point of a knife pressed and dragged against it didn't scratch it. So it seems to me that it would be far easier to damage the phone by shock or moisture, and neither would damage the screen in the least. Well done Samsung! I didn't think that I would ever say this, but I'm going naked!
    robonik likes this.
    02-04-2016 10:28 PM
    Actually, I'm reconsidering. I'm starting to think that there is no screen protector that can protect Gorilla Glass 4. If you can drop a hammer on it from 6 feet up without any damage to the screen, I don't think a screen protector will add anything. A diamond might scratch it, but unless you work with unmounted stones the diamond would never touch the screen. The point of a knife pressed and dragged against it didn't scratch it. So it seems to me that it would be far easier to damage the phone by shock or moisture, and neither would damage the screen in the least. Well done Samsung! I didn't think that I would ever say this, but I'm going naked!
    LOL! Another nudist in the ranks of Note 5 owners! Good luck, watch out for flying diamonds...
    landyvlad and PDX97229 like this.
    02-04-2016 11:40 PM
    I have the Zagg with privacy glass. It's perfect with no bubbles or halo

02-05-2016 12:25 AM
    This is the one I use, full screen protector and NO halo effect at all. Edge to edge. Perfect.

[Edge to Edge] SUPTECH Galaxy Note 5 Tempered Glass [Anti-fingerprints][Ultra-clear] Thinnest 0.26mm [Bubble Free] Samsung Note 5 Screen Protector Full Coverage (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015EETX2C...cUvbUpU4983827
    Same one under 5 on ebay

02-05-2016 10:24 AM
    I bought the clear view case and pretty sure it scratched my screen. I've had the phone for a week and I have a whole bunch of little scratches on the screen in a few differnet spots. Not impressed in how easy the screen scratches. I've owned every iPhone since the 3G and the only scratch I've ever had was on my 6 plus. It was one little scratch in the corner of the screen. Otherwise never had an issue.
    02-07-2016 04:23 PM
    I bought the clear view case and pretty sure it scratched my screen. I've had the phone for a week and I have a whole bunch of little scratches on the screen in a few differnet spots. Not impressed in how easy the screen scratches. I've owned every iPhone since the 3G and the only scratch I've ever had was on my 6 plus. It was one little scratch in the corner of the screen. Otherwise never had an issue.
    "whole bunch of scratches in a week?" "not impressed how easy the screen scratches?" LOL

Sounds like an Apple Troll to me, clearly from the video evidence I've seen on YouTube and my own experience the Gorilla Glass 4 screen on the Note 5 is nearly impervious to scratches from normal wear and tear. Some of the videos posted go way beyond normal wear and tear using, knives, keys, nails, hammers, etc. and nary a scratch.

Roll on back to your Apple friends and spare us the BS.
    02-07-2016 06:17 PM
58 123