tempered glass screen protector

PDX97229

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
It does not overlap the front edge of the phone. I have not taken the case off of the phone since I installed it, so I'm not sure if there would be a problem with my other cases including a battery case which did chip the edge of my old non edge to edge tempered glass screen protector, so I'm pretty sure it would affect this one. I'm thinking a plain regular TPU would work ok since they don't apply a lot of pressure like a battery case would. ������
Thanks for getting back to me. I really like the Edge to Edge. It seems to me that one slip of the Note 5 stylus and any standard glass protector would easily chip. Plus the area between the protector and the edge of the phone would be a dust collector and impossible to clean. Since you aren't having a problem, and my case doesn't overlap the screen at all, I think I'll take a chance and order the Edge to Edge. Compared to the Zagg it's still a cheap protector and to replace it with the standard version is only a couple of dollars more than Zagg's shipping charge. It's a win-win all around. Thanks for your help.

PDX97229

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Then I rely on the excellence of Gorilla Glass 4.
I thought the Note 5 has Gorilla Glass 3! My mistake. I just got off a chat with Samsung and they confirmed that it's Gorilla Glass 4. I did watch the videos and it would seem that the risk is very small indeed. I have been told that the biggest risk is breaking from shock, but dropping a hammer on it from seven feet up seems like it would be substantial shock and it didn't do any damage (other than denting the edge of the frame - big surprise there). It looked like a small tack hammer though and I don't know what one of those weighs.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Small risk indeed regardless of the weight of the hammer. Those types of hazards are well beyond any that any of my phones have ever seen in the 6 years I've owned smart phones.

The most important thing to me is the quality of my enjoyment of the device versus the probability of a hazard causing any damage. Given the strength and scratch resistance of Gorilla Glass 4 I feel incredibly safe in going without screen protection, save for a good case that wraps around the front of the device. The Tech21 does just that.

The clarity and smoothness of the Gorilla Glass 4 is gorgeous. I am betting that I will never break or scratch a screen. I do understand the compulsion to want to protect one's investment but in this case I think it's like putting a bullet proof vest on the Terminator.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much for your reply. I have the same case you have, and so far no screen issues, although I have only had the phone about 7 weeks. I have to admit that the information you have supplied makes me think that it's overkill to put a protector on. In the end it comes down to a replacement screen costing around $250 with loss of the use of the phone until it can be repaired, vs. the cost of a protector at between about $5 and $35. There are some great glass protectors at the very low end, so in MHO it is well worth the cost as insurance. I have always had protectors on my screens and never had any complaints with any of them, and none were glass. I really like the SUPTECH which only costs $7.55 at Amazon, and for $11.95 you can get the same thing with true Edge to Edge coverage. That's the direction I'm leaning in now.

Absolutely the most important consideration is your peace of mind and how you weigh risk vs. reward. The last thing I would ever want to do is influence anyone to avoid screen protection and then hear that they suffered a damaged or broken screen. These are just my personal values and observations.

Plus in the event of a damaged screen on my Note 5, although extremely unlikely, I do have a Galaxy S5 sitting in the drawer waiting to be called into service if my Note 5 needed repair. So downtime isn't a real concern here. I hear you, follow your instincts protect your phone. :)

PDX97229

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I hear you, follow your instincts protect your phone. :)
Actually, I'm reconsidering. I'm starting to think that there is no screen protector that can protect Gorilla Glass 4. If you can drop a hammer on it from 6 feet up without any damage to the screen, I don't think a screen protector will add anything. A diamond might scratch it, but unless you work with unmounted stones the diamond would never touch the screen. The point of a knife pressed and dragged against it didn't scratch it. So it seems to me that it would be far easier to damage the phone by shock or moisture, and neither would damage the screen in the least. Well done Samsung! I didn't think that I would ever say this, but I'm going naked!

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Actually, I'm reconsidering. I'm starting to think that there is no screen protector that can protect Gorilla Glass 4. If you can drop a hammer on it from 6 feet up without any damage to the screen, I don't think a screen protector will add anything. A diamond might scratch it, but unless you work with unmounted stones the diamond would never touch the screen. The point of a knife pressed and dragged against it didn't scratch it. So it seems to me that it would be far easier to damage the phone by shock or moisture, and neither would damage the screen in the least. Well done Samsung! I didn't think that I would ever say this, but I'm going naked!

LOL! Another nudist in the ranks of Note 5 owners! Good luck, watch out for flying diamonds... :D

pontiacgp

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

chrisforpm

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I bought the clear view case and pretty sure it scratched my screen. I've had the phone for a week and I have a whole bunch of little scratches on the screen in a few differnet spots. Not impressed in how easy the screen scratches. I've owned every iPhone since the 3G and the only scratch I've ever had was on my 6 plus. It was one little scratch in the corner of the screen. Otherwise never had an issue.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I bought the clear view case and pretty sure it scratched my screen. I've had the phone for a week and I have a whole bunch of little scratches on the screen in a few differnet spots. Not impressed in how easy the screen scratches. I've owned every iPhone since the 3G and the only scratch I've ever had was on my 6 plus. It was one little scratch in the corner of the screen. Otherwise never had an issue.

"whole bunch of scratches in a week?" "not impressed how easy the screen scratches?" LOL

Sounds like an Apple Troll to me, clearly from the video evidence I've seen on YouTube and my own experience the Gorilla Glass 4 screen on the Note 5 is nearly impervious to scratches from normal wear and tear. Some of the videos posted go way beyond normal wear and tear using, knives, keys, nails, hammers, etc. and nary a scratch.

Roll on back to your Apple friends and spare us the BS.

chrisforpm

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
"whole bunch of scratches in a week?" "not impressed how easy the screen scratches?" LOL

Sounds like an Apple Troll to me, clearly from the video evidence I've seen on YouTube and my own experience the Gorilla Glass 4 screen on the Note 5 is nearly impervious to scratches from normal wear and tear. Some of the videos posted go way beyond normal wear and tear using, knives, keys, nails, hammers, etc. and nary a scratch.

Roll on back to your Apple friends and spare us the BS.
Sadly I'm not kidding and I am not trolling. I do love the device and will mostly likely keep it. All I am saying is that I have a lot of scratches, I'm not blaming samsung but there has been noted instances of the clear view cases causing issues with the S6. I love the device just not happy with the scratches. Can I prove the case did it? No I can't and maybe it's not but just my stated observations.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Small risk indeed regardless of the weight of the hammer. Those types of hazards are well beyond any that any of my phones have ever seen in the 6 years I've owned smart phones.

The most important thing to me is the quality of my enjoyment of the device versus the probability of a hazard causing any damage. Given the strength and scratch resistance of Gorilla Glass 4 I feel incredibly safe in going without screen protection, save for a good case that wraps around the front of the device. The Tech21 does just that.

The clarity and smoothness of the Gorilla Glass 4 is gorgeous. I am betting that I will never break or scratch a screen. I do understand the compulsion to want to protect one's investment but in this case I think it's like putting a bullet proof vest on the Terminator.
Wondering how Gorilla Glass 4 handles fingerprints & smudges?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I watched the videos and was very impressed but one thing stands out as being the reason I will likely still use a tempered glass screen protector is the fact that IF the glass should break like from a fall G4 glass shattered while G3 glass just broke in half.

All the techniques used to test with gave impressive results but in my eyes a fall lands a phone in any number of various positions including a sharp jar to its corners which is entirely different than testing directly on a phone sitting on a flat surface. Should my glass break I don't like the dangers of it shattering all over the place. I think at least a tempered glass screen protector would help keep shattering to a minimum because the screen glass shards would stick to the protector.

I would love to see real life testing things like dropping phones from various heights and on different surfaces. Your phone hitting the concrete street is gonna take a harder hit than your phone hitting your kitchen floor kinda thing.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I watched the videos and was very impressed but one thing stands out as being the reason I will likely still use a tempered glass screen protector is the fact that IF the glass should break like from a fall G4 glass shattered while G3 glass just broke in half.

All the techniques used to test with gave impressive results but in my eyes a fall lands a phone in any number of various positions including a sharp jar to its corners which is entirely different than testing directly on a phone sitting on a flat surface. Should my glass break I don't like the dangers of it shattering all over the place. I think at least a tempered glass screen protector would help keep shattering to a minimum because the screen glass shards would stick to the protector.

I would love to see real life testing things like dropping phones from various heights and on different surfaces. Your phone hitting the concrete street is gonna take a harder hit than your phone hitting your kitchen floor kinda thing.

Perhaps this video will explain why I have so much confidence in the Gorilla Glass 4 solution. Corning has actually done "real life testing" in their drop tests and revised the formulation to protect the screen.

For me, maybe not for you, but for me I would much rather experience the full enjoyment of my display without the extra weight and filters between my eyes and the display. I love an unhindered view and given the strength of Gorilla Glass 4 (plus my own experience with the earlier generations of Gorilla Glass) the benefits of a clean uncovered screen far outweigh the potential risk. But that's for me, if I am wrong and break a screen I am ready with a Galaxy S5 in my drawer, and I would be willing to pay the piper for repairs if I am wrong and do break a screen.

For those unwilling or unable to risk breakage, by all means, protect your investment. It is my personal opinion that putting protection on the Note 5 display is like putting a bullet proof vest on Terminator IF and only if you have a good case that wraps around the front of the display.

I use a Tech 21 Tactical case and for me that's all I want or need.

Anyway Shaggy Kids, this video is for you:

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
The D3O compound found in Tech21 cases help to protect the screen from shock waves. Obviously if an object hits the glass and not the case then the glass is on its own. But for any impact on the case the phone will be very well protected.

I have dropped my phone on concrete from 5 feet with no ill effects. YMMV.

PDX97229

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

PDX97229

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Good Point!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar