Planning on switching to Note 5

AndroidFanatic247

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I made the major mistake in switching from my Android to iPhone. I miss my customization options and freedom of my Android. I like the battery life of the iPhone but it is made out of cheap materials and boring. Anywho, I plan on switching the the Note 5 when I jump on the 29th. My question to you all is what are the pros and cons of the Note 5 in your opinions?

Derek Danforth

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I can't think of a con. I don't need a removable battery or SD card but I guess that some people find those options as needs. Everything about the note 5 is great.

Posted via my Galaxy Note 5

dennisharrison

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I made the major mistake in switching from my Android to iPhone. I miss my customization options and freedom of my Android. I like the battery life of the iPhone but it is made out of cheap materials and boring. Anywho, I plan on switching the the Note 5 when I jump on the 29th. My question to you all is what are the pros and cons of the Note 5 in your opinions?

Just ditched iOS as my main device in December. First time using Android primarily since 2011. Here is my take.

Pros:
Stupid quick
Charges fast
Looks and feels very high quality
Best display
Exceptional camera experience
S Pen
Side sync
Samsung pay
Best in class multitasking solution
Android wear

Cons:
Less than stellar battery life
Takes a bit of tinkering to get to a set of what I considered 'sane defaults'
Awkward to use 1 handed (although the one handed mode is way better than the afterthought implementation in ios)
Slippery without case (not as good looking with case)

All in all, I'm very happy with it.

Here is what made we switch from iOS:
Android Wear.
Sleep as Android.
Hangouts is good enough to live with compared to iMessage finally.
Side Sync makes dealing with various stuff, without touching the phone, easy.
The S Pen is very convenient when remoting into Windows and OSX.
Action Launcher 3.
Muzei.
Tighter integration with Google services.
Google now is great once you train it.
Google photos is the best of its kind.

Hope this helps :)

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Welcome!

I have been a super-picky mobile user for years, and the N5 is hands-down the best device I've used. I really don't have a single "con".

After being a snobby "Nexus-only", "Pure Android" dude for a long time, I have to admit something I would have considered total heresy in years past: I love Samsung software. Samsung Pay, S Note and S Health are all industry leading apps IMO.

Enjoy!

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
The big iPhone is also noticeably wider, taller and heavier than the Note 5. Their big round button on the bottom (vs. the 'flat tire' style on the Note 5) probably doesn't help the vertical dimension.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I just switched from the iPhone 6s Plus to the Note 5 on New Years Eve. I have been an iPhone user since the 3Gs and have never used an android device. I am finding the switch a bit different.

The things I like about the Note 5 are:

Better Screen
Customization
Full Keyboard with numbers above the letters
Great Camera
Fast Charging
Wireless Charging
Quick operation

Things I miss from the iPhone

Certain apps are better on the iPhone
Easy integration with my mac computer and iPad
Battery Life was a bit better (but the fast charging mostly makes up for this)

AndroidFanatic247

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank you to everyone that has responded! A few people mentioned a less than stellar battery life, can anyone comment on if it is better, worse or the same as the s6 line?

poppy

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you to everyone that has responded! A few people mentioned a less than stellar battery life, can anyone comment on if it is better, worse or the same as the s6 line?

I presume you mean the galaxy s6, then I would say yes, my wife's s6 needs toping up frequently. BTW, I'm happy with the battery life on my N5 👍

Posted via the Android Central App

Maye

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site

Battery life for me is pretty good. I stream music/podcast all day at work and by the time my 8hrs are up I still have around 50% battery left. I usually plug it up to my QC 2.0 car charger on my trip home and since it charges so fast I'm usually almost topped off by the time I get home. I'm sure the battery would last me all day but I usually do some heavy gaming before I go to bed.

Allenhardiman

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site

before the note 5, I used the galaxy s5. The battery life on the note 5 is a little bit better (especially on standby) than the s5 which itself was good (not excellent, I would say). in the end, it depends on how you use the device

Posted via the Android Central App

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site

I just got my Note 5 on new years eve and coming from the iPhone 6s Plus I think the 6s Plus had slightly better battery life. My girlfriend has the Galaxy S6 and she is having to charge more often than I do and I know she doesn't use her phone as intensely as I do. So I would say from that the Note 5 is definitely better than the S6.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
You won't be disappointed with the Note 5, especially if you're coming with an iPhone.

I'm just gonna assume you're coming from an iPhone 6 Plus. You're gonna get a lot of extra features, an excellent stylus, a vibrant OLED display that's super-sharp (1440p is overkill, though for PenTile, it's somewhat needed), loads of RAM, a speedy processor and a great camera. It also charges really quickly and can also do so wirelessly. It's somewhat slippery and fragile due to the glass design, however. Battery life should be somewhat similar or slightly less than the Plus. Even so, the Note 5 is a great phone and you'll love it.

BTW, do tell which iPhone you're coming from, since I stated earlier that I assumed you came from the 6 Plus. If it's one of the 6S phones, however, note that it might be a tiny bit slower because the 6S uses NVMe storage while the N5 uses UFS storage, which is almost similar but a little slower than NVMe.

Note that I said "tiny bit", meaning that you likely won't be able to notice the difference anyway. AND the Note 5 is pretty darn quick as well.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I remember one of the first times I picked up a Note 5 at best buy when I was contemplating ditching the 6 Plus. Somehow wasn't attached to a lanyard type thingie. Dropped it with a nice thud right on the counter....and this was a working model, not a mock up. It dropped only four or five inches but still felt a bit embarrassed though it was no worse for wear....yes the Note 5 is slippery. The things I noticed immediately different.....much sharper and vibrant screen. Better form design. The screen takes up a maximum of the front's real estate. The 6 Plus has alot of wasted space along the vertical dimension. Makes it feel much bigger than the dimension specs would lead you to believe. On the other hand the 6 Plus was a nice piece of hardware. Though some complained of a bending problem since the phone was so long and thin.

shark boy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Billykac Wow, really? I am kind of where you were, I guess. I am leaning towards the Nexus 6P but after my mother-in-law got her Note5, I have been torn. I really want access to Samsung Pay and S Note seems really cool and convenient. Good to hear that another "Nexus snob" is happy with a Samsung phone. Makes my decision a bit more complicated now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech