Nova vs Action Launcher 3

dennisharrison

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Anyone that has used both. Please offer your opinion. I see the Nova launcher has high popularity on this forum. I went with action launcher 3 on the nexus and the oneplus, so stuck with it on the new Note 5 as well.

Are there any compelling reasons for one over the other?

Thank you for reading :)

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
If AL3 is working for you and you like what it offers that's all that matters IMO. I tried both and stuck with Nova. Has a nice Google+ group too.

nasc2k

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Action launcher has shutters which are pretty awesome. Gives you the ability to use widgets just by swiping up on an app icon on your home screen and doesn't force you to give up screen real estate. Not sure if nova launcher has that feature.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't using the covers and shutters in Action Launcher. The app list that you pull on the leftmost screen was pretty cool though.

ELavar

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Action launcher has shutters which are pretty awesome. Gives you the ability to use widgets just by swiping up on an app icon on your home screen and doesn't force you to give up screen real estate. Not sure if nova launcher has that feature.

No, Nova doesn't have that feature.

Posted via the Android Central App

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I tried action Launcher for about 15 minutes (I'm well aware that isn't nearly enough) and it appeared to require MUCH more patience to setup and get going than Nova. I'm not a patient person. Lol.

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I bought TSF and Next.... Fancy launchers but i still end up with Nova. Very stable, quick and it is compatible with just about any icon pack. I find Sikebo's stuff excellent.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Has Action Launcher 3 updated its version to have the slide out menu from the left that can be accessed anywhere? If Not, then Nope. I'll stick with Nova Prime, or Smart Launcher 3, both with Omni Swipe.

Dave Opperman

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
I have both paid versions of these launchers, and I find they both have similar core functionality (in fact, both of my setups look virtually identical at first glance). However, my preference goes to AL3.

Firstly, average usage for 3 hours on both launchers showed AL to use 29% less memory than Nova (this could however be explained by longer usage on nova), although both ran very smoothly. What really sold me on it was the swipe from left (anywhere), on home screen to launch apps (I disabled swipe left from edge on any screen, as it did not suit my preference). The result, combined with launch animation of flipboard app, gave it an incredibly similar experience to briefing, but with my own personal flipboard, which is profit in my eyes. I have also found that the use of the quickpage feature (basically an active widget drawer), to be pretty useful, if not just for some eye candy.

Like I said, both launchers are fantastic, it's just that Action Launcher 3 has a few extra features that make it operate much better for me! I hope this helps, and good luck with whatever launcher you choose!

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I think both launchers will noticbly increase the speed of your phone but because both prevent me from pinning notes to my screen I'm stuck with TouchWiz. If there's a way around this I'm game to switching launchers.

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I think both launchers will noticbly increase the speed of your phone but because both prevent me from pinning notes to my screen I'm stuck with TouchWiz. If there's a way around this I'm game to switching launchers.

Have you tried an Action Memo saved to your home screen with the "minimize" option?

Rick Rademaker

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I use Action Launcher 3. I've used both and was a long time Nova user, but Action just feels like a more complete launcher. Nova feels a little cartoonish since I've discovered Action Launcher. Anyway that's just my opinion, choose which ever you like best. They are both outstanding launchers.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I use Action Launcher 3. I've used both and was a long time Nova user, but Action just feels like a more complete launcher. Nova feels a little cartoonish since I've discovered Action Launcher. Anyway that's just my opinion, choose which ever you like best. They are both outstanding launchers.

I honestly think my biggest issue is I don't want to invest the time in setting up Action Launcher that it would take to make it what I want. I'm so lazy, I know....

Umbrokhan

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
i say Action Launcher is better then Nova. it gets the fastest features quicker, side app drawer, unique Shutter feature, Customizable Google search widget - the quickbar, Quickpage and Quick drawer, Quick themes that can automatically adjust home screen colors based on wallpaper. are cool stuff, but you need paid version for this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12