First off I'd like to apologize for creating a thread regarding this topic. I have seen many similar threads using the search function but have been unable to find a solution.

A few days ago I made the switch from Apple and bought a Note 5. I am enjoying my phone thus far, but I have recently discovered that group messaging is not working the way I expect. My issue is as follows:

When I send a group message, each contact receives an individual text message (SMS) from me. When a contact from the group replies to my message, I receive an individual text (SMS) from that contact. What I expect to happen is for my contacts to see all messages from all participants in one thread and myself to see all replies in one thread.

Steps taken in an attempt to resolve issue:

-Disabled iMessage and removed old devices from iCloud.
    -Enabled Group MMS in default Samsung App settings
    -Tried Google Messenger. No change, group message settings correctly applied.
    -Checked recipients phones to ensure MMS and SMS was enabled (all recipients using iPhones). Ensured new messages on recipient's phones originate from their phone number, not their email.

Some info that may be helpful:

-I am using the Canadian carrier Telus Mobility
    -I did not restore or transfer any data or settings from my old phone.
    -However, the SIM card was transferred from my old phone.

Some photo's showing my current settings:

Default app settings appear to be correctly tuned:

(Another guy with) group messaging issues...-group-01.jpg

How it appears when I attempt to send and MMS group message:

(Another guy with) group messaging issues...-group-02.jpg

Settings appear to be correct in google messenger app:

(Another guy with) group messaging issues...-group-03.jpg

I guess the point of this excessively long post is to find out what my next steps should be, as I am beginning to run out of ideas. I have a feeling iMessage might somehow play into this, but I cannot be sure. Or, is it possibly a carrier issue? Maybe there are settings elsewhere that I have overlooked. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
    01-04-2016 09:27 PM
    Are you certain that your carrier supports SMS/MMS group messaging as you've described? Not all carriers support it in the same way. Some carriers treat "group messaging" as the ability to send multiple recipients the same message in one "blast" but not necessarily the ability to continue the message in a single thread, thus the individual replies. Are you able to confirm with anyone else on your carrier who is also using an Android phone that this functionality even works? Remember iMessage bypasses the carrier so iPhones are able to do group messaging independent of carrier design.

One other thing you could try is to make sure you are using the correct APN settings for your carrier.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-04-2016 11:51 PM
    To the OP -- I have the exact same issue on SaskTel. Have had it on every Android device I have ever had (and I have had MANY). I have concluded it is the way group SMS/MMS is handled by SaskTel. Maybe it's the same with Telus.
    01-05-2016 04:07 PM
    Okay, so I have the EXACT same problem on my Galaxy S7 Edge. Just made the switch from Apple to Samsung- because apple was trying to bully me into a new phone... and I Finally managed to get messages to my parents, Both iPhone users, about 24 hours after the switch.

I also managed to send the two of them a "group message" between the 3 of us after that first day. I have no problem with the group messages between 4-7 of my coworkers, only 1 of which is not an iPhone.

HOWEVER, I had HAD an iMessage group message with my parents, my 4 siblings, and their respective partners. Once I switched I stopped receiving, what we called, "Crazy Family" messages. I had one of them delete me from the iMessage.

I then proceeded to create my own "group message". I added them individually and wrote the text and sent it out. Each of the replies came back individually. I did a little research and I tried CREATING a group (which I affectionately named Looney Tunes) and then typing a message to "the group" but it just sent it in the same message as the one I sent previously...

I'm getting frustrated because these devices are how we keep in contact- (I don't receive pictures of my nieces and nephews because of this!) And the technology is becoming increasingly more complex to use compatibly with other, DIFFERENT, devices.

I have verified it is NOT a carrier issue. I want to believe it's a defect of iMessage, but it could just as well be a defect of Samsung.

Either way, we need a real solution... and the ONLY thing I can think of is the fact that all of my WORKING group messages (as few as they are) were created by the iPhone users... that's my next attempt.

...Get my parents to create a new new group message...

Live Long and Prosper, my friends. ๐Ÿ––๐Ÿ’š
    08-30-2016 11:19 PM
    If you guys can't figure this out after a while, I would say worst case scenario is that you use Whatsapp, kik, Google Allo (not out yet), or something like that.
    From what I understand these don't use carrier texts at all and they just use a little data.
    The downside is that you need all the people in the group chat to use the app also.
    09-06-2016 01:55 PM
    Have everyone in the group thread delete it from their phones. Then have an iPhone user restart it. This is exactly why I gave up and went back to my iPhone. Even when I got the group thread working it would stop working after a few weeks again.
    09-06-2016 11:09 PM