S-Pen easily lost?

awraynor

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
During my first few weeks with my Note5 I have had two things that disappoint me.

First is the battery life, worse than my S4 on most days.

Next is the S-Pen security. Numerous times I have had to reseat it into the holder.
Now I have lost it. I thought I had the setting checked to notify me if it were away
from my phone.

Nonetheless that is an expensive item to lose over and over. Ultimately it's a very good
phone, but I'm not sure I"m happy with it overall.

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I've lost mine twice now.... Samsung has been no help in purchasing a oem one and I bought a few that were definitely fake. :(

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
If your battery life is worse than your S4 there is something very wrong somewhere. Settings, bad app, something... This phone is among the best in battery life. The S Pen I cannot comment on as mine has not come out of my phone without my help.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Disabling apps you don't use should help with battery life, for instance I noticed hangouts and s-finder were constantly running even though I never use them. Having s-voice or ok google set to always listen is convenient but not the easiest on battery.

My s-pen has never come out without my assistance.

TheLastPanda

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I do not have issue with securing the s-pen. I even have my phone mounted on a phone holder on my Ducati that has a big vtwin. It has a lot of vibrations, enough vibrations that the s-health application registers a couple steps a second when phone is mounted. No issues even when I have my phone in the wind at 80-90mph

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Ive lost 2 spens. Both just disappeared from the slot. And both times I was using a case that prevents it from coming out easily
Yup same instance here. I just about baby my S pen and my phone of course! This is the first note where this has happened and I have read a lot about the pen disappearing in this device

awraynor

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I use a shell and holster case with the phone always on my hip during the day. I guess that puts me in a situation where it's easier to accidentally put just enough pressure on the pen to eject it.

As for battery I have intentionally uninstalled many apps and have the screen at half brightness. I specifically uninstalled Flickr and some syncing apps that could consume more battery. When I look under battery in settings Android/Google services are usually the biggest offenders.

Another complicating factor on some days is one of the hospitals I go to is terrible on my connection. When in the ICU area you can barely get a signal. However, even on days off the battery is lucky to make it into the evening. Thank goodness the fast charging is wicked fast.

I've ordered another S-Pen, but it is irritating to have to replace a $30-50 accessory. The reason I bought this phone in particular was for the stylus features so I feel obligated to keep one with me.

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I use a shell and holster case with the phone always on my hip during the day. I guess that puts me in a situation where it's easier to accidentally put just enough pressure on the pen to eject it.

As for battery I have intentionally uninstalled many apps and have the screen at half brightness. I specifically uninstalled Flickr and some syncing apps that could consume more battery. When I look under battery in settings Android/Google services are usually the biggest offenders.

Another complicating factor on some days is one of the hospitals I go to is terrible on my connection. When in the ICU area you can barely get a signal. However, even on days off the battery is lucky to make it into the evening. Thank goodness the fast charging is wicked fast.

I've ordered another S-Pen, but it is irritating to have to replace a $30-50 accessory. The reason I bought this phone in particular was for the stylus features so I feel obligated to keep one with me.
Where did you order it from? I bought a 1 from amazon and another from eBay but they don't feel as the oem I had.

awraynor

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Has taken me most of the day to figure out I don't have 10 posts so I can use links. It looks OEM and sold by alwayz-on-sale. With a name like that what could possibly go wrong.

I bought it for $27.87 and today shows $39.99. It is in process of shipping and is promised for Friday. I guess we'll see if it gets here on time and what it looks like.

Mike_786

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
For battery go to YouTube and check out ways to save battery on Note 5. I've never lost my S pen and even when its accidentally clicked out it never falls out.

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Oh wow, some of these threads just amaze me and I don't mind having a good laugh every now and then. I have no idea how some users lose and s pen and complain about it. I'm a heavy power user and I want to put emphasis on the term heavy. I can't even put an average estimate of how many times I remove and reinsert the s pen on a daily basis to be honest. That's how much I literally use it. I understand that the clicker can become unseated if it comes in contact with something. But that has rarely ever happened to me. Especially since whatever would cause it be pressed must come in direct contact with some applied pressure to compress the clicker. I just think it is nothing more than sheer carelessness. Whether its being careless of how you handle your device or whatever. Also note that the notification for the detached s pen alert only works when the screen is turned off. So maybe you even lost the s pen by setting it down, forgetting to put it back in the device and then leaving the area using your phone. Don't take offense to my response because that is merely my opinion. You can acquire replacement s pens for like 10 to 15 dollars BTW.

Last edited:

awraynor

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Oh wow, some of these threads just amaze me and I don't mind having a good laugh every now and then. I have no idea how some users lose and s pen and complain about it. I'm a heavy power user and I want to put emphasis on the term heavy. I can't even put an average estimate of how many times I remove and reinsert the s pen on a daily basis to be honest. That's how much I literally use it. I understand that the clicker can become unseated if it comes in contact with something. But that has rarely ever happened to me. Especially since whatever would cause it be pressed must come in direct contact with some applied pressure to compress the clicker. I just think it is nothing more than sheer carelessness. Whether its being careless of how you handle your device or whatever. Also note that the notification for the detached s pen alert only works when the screen is turned off. So maybe you even lost the s pen by setting it down, forgetting to put it back in the device and then leaving the area using your phone. Don't take offense to my response because that is merely my opinion. You can acquire replacement s pens for like 10 to 15 dollars BTW.

I can assure you there is no intentional carelessness on my behalf as I take care of my electronics with great care. I've had phones with a stylus before and this is the only one that has ever been lost. Glad your luck has been different.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The S-Pen in both of my Note 5 phones are 100% guaranteed never to be lost.
(unless the whole phone is lost, of course. :) )

The reason? I've had them for about 3 months. The S-Pen has only been taken out
just once, on the day I bought the phone. Ever since then, I completely forgot there
was the S-Pen inside the Note 5. Same thing with my previous Note 2, Note 3, and
Note 4. I have NEVER used the S-Pen, so there was no chance of losing them. :)

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

Mark is correct. If you have the proper settings checked (which should be by default) it is very hard to lose the S-Pen. However the feature only works if your screen is turned off. My screen is set to deactivate and lock after 30 secs of inactivity.

Either way, I just conducted a quick test out of boredom to see how reliable that S-Pen detached security is and 10/10 times when I moved the phone away from the S-Pen while the screen was off, I got the warning notification. I even conducted 5/5 tests where I had the screen on, removed the pen, (as if the pen fell out while I was using the phone) walked away from the pen, turned the screen off and within a few seconds the warning popped back up on the screen even though I didn't wake the phone.

I have had my Note Edge a year and a couple of months with a UAG case on it since day one. The case won't allow anything but a cylindrical object to get in that cutaway to access the pen. Even still, you then have to PULL on the grooves on the pen to get it out. I say that to say that from what I understand, the redesigned pen that you guys have is much different from the Note 4/Edge and requires you to push in to get it to pop out? Even if it does manage to "fall" out, the warning notification is there for a reason. I can't fathom losing just one pen let alone multiple??

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-08-07-22-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-01-08-07-22-18.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Make sure the S-Pen Alerts panel is checked.

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-08-07-19-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-01-08-07-19-09.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 75

awraynor

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I had them checked and must have grown notification weary and cleared without paying
attention to the specific alert. I'll pay more attention next time.

New S-Pen should arrive today.