01-27-2016 02:09 PM
56 123
tools
    It's to be expected honestly. If you want updates as soon as they come out get a nexus. That's the sad reality of the Android space.

Btw, Marshmallow isn't all that exciting. I'm more irritated by the lack of security updates. My phone is current as of October lol. I guess the only way to have a secure android phone is to have a nexus.

Posted via the Android Central App
    That would be your carrier. I'm on TMO and I get my security update monthly.
    01-07-2016 12:20 PM
    Att model

I used to have AT&T until recently. In my experience they were always last to update and sometimes skipped updates.
    01-07-2016 12:30 PM
    I've had 5 Samsung phones, including the Note 4 before the Note 5. Trust me, you really don't want the update. I regretted it on every phone. Each one was very wonky after the update. The Note 5 runs better than any other Samsun phone I've used. I'm probably not going to install the update when it gets pushed to preserve the quality of the experience.
    01-08-2016 07:59 PM
    So... are we getting this??
    01-22-2016 09:42 AM
    So... are we getting this??
    I thought it was supposed to be January for Note 5. Still waiting...
    01-22-2016 11:04 AM
    Have had a couple of updates this week that lead me to believe we should be seeing it soon.

01-22-2016 12:31 PM
    And now this:

01-22-2016 01:14 PM
    My phone works just fine as is,, when an update arrives fine, until then no worries, it will come.
    Mayze and home44 like this.
    01-22-2016 04:21 PM
    This is the case of android phones, very slow adoption rate of new operating systems.

Look at the latest chart of the operating systems all the android phones are Currently running all around.

Marshmallow - 0.7 %
    Lollipop - 32.6 %
    KitKat - 36.1 %
    JellyBean - 24.7 %
    Ice cream s, gingerbread, froyo - 5.9 %

Been over 3 months and marshmallow less than 1%.
    Why does this happen so? Is this because the phone manufacturers give up on updates?

A lot of people don't upgrade. My dad has an S2. He got it right when the S4 came out, so it was the last of the models. It works pretty good for him, but I doubt it's had any updates in software. Maybe a security thing from tmobile but that would be it, if that.

Just because I was curious, I was wondering about those cheap phones like at walmart (or Target or anywhere, but I went to walmart online). There's an LG phone for $45 on Straight talk (prepaid I think) that's running Gingerbread. An S4 for $299 that's running 4.2.2 JellyBean. This is where some of those stats are coming from. If they get an upgrade when bought and activated, who knows, but it won't be much higher, one OS if that.
    01-22-2016 04:29 PM
    The sad reality is simple. Even when Samsung sends the update to the carrier then it has to be tested.

The process takes time to happen for each carrier. In my case VZW is very strict with what they will release and it will still be broken once it is released.

I was very involved in some of those process a while back. It doesn't get easy and even at the end something was so wrong.

So here is why I bought a moto x pure a month back. It went straight to 6.0 on vzw but now is stuck there instead of 6.0.1 and I'm back on my note 5 because I simply love the S pen and what functionality it brings to the experience. My pure just sits on the desk waiting for me to pick it up again.

I don't buy every phone any more but I but i buy every note. All in hopes of the experience and S pen functionality had improved.

Meanwhile the update isn't ready yet. ...again ... but I'll spend my $700 this year on the note 6
    01-22-2016 05:53 PM
    The sad reality is simple. Even when Samsung sends the update to the carrier then it has to be tested.

The process takes time to happen for each carrier. In my case VZW is very strict with what they will release and it will still be broken once it is released.

I was very involved in some of those process a while back. It doesn't get easy and even at the end something was so wrong.

So here is why I bought a moto x pure a month back. It went straight to 6.0 on vzw but now is stuck there instead of 6.0.1 and I'm back on my note 5 because I simply love the S pen and what functionality it brings to the experience. My pure just sits on the desk waiting for me to pick it up again.

I don't buy every phone any more but I but i buy every note. All in hopes of the experience and S pen functionality had improved.

Meanwhile the update isn't ready yet. ...again ... but I'll spend my $700 this year on the note 6
    I really dont care for updates unless there security updates but what need to happen and what i think is going to happen is the upgrades are... When the gs7 and note 6 comes out should come with the 6.0.1 software bcuhz atleast then the carriers have time to test and work the bugs out. Because now everyone get thirsty for an upgrade and complain about not getting on time rather than knowing we are all going to go get the new model anyway and get use it there then roll out the 6.0 to the note 5 and g6s and g6se+ and other models.

I hope you understood this it kind of sounded like i was rambling right now explaining the same thing to my co workers right now but personally i dont care this software is just fine fell asleep with my phone at 34% at 1156am woke up at 8am at 19% with Notifications and 4missed calls and the alarm was going off so i really dont have any complaints

01-22-2016 07:50 PM
    Write on PDF app just updated via Google play, and it's changelog simply stated that it was updated for Android 6.0. Mean anything? Am I looking far too much into it? Probably...

01-23-2016 05:34 PM
    When the 6.0 update arrives, I finally hope that VZ double and triple checks it BEFORE releasing it.

My Note 5 is running smoothly in every aspect. Especially connecting to WiFi and 4G and battery life.

In the past, there were SO MANY problems with VZ and Samsung updates.

I don't want any problems!

VZ... are you reading this?
    mxrider821, jimd1050 and plumcrazy like this.
    01-23-2016 07:55 PM
    There was a Sprint memo earlier this week, Android 6.0 rollout is "starting in February" for Samsung phones. No specific date is given. IIRC, all of Sprint's Samsung phones and tablets from the S5 and newer are set to get it "in the following months".
    01-23-2016 10:32 PM
    A lot of people don't upgrade. My dad has an S2. He got it right when the S4 came out, so it was the last of the models. It works pretty good for him, but I doubt it's had any updates in software. Maybe a security thing from tmobile but that would be it, if that.

Just because I was curious, I was wondering about those cheap phones like at walmart (or Target or anywhere, but I went to walmart online). There's an LG phone for $45 on Straight talk (prepaid I think) that's running Gingerbread. An S4 for $299 that's running 4.2.2 JellyBean. This is where some of those stats are coming from. If they get an upgrade when bought and activated, who knows, but it won't be much higher, one OS if that.
    Exactly. However, I just bought a ZTE AT&T GoPhone just to play around with on WiFi (not to actually use with a SIM) and it cost me $40. It is running 5.1.1 and is slated for 6.0 as per the paperwork that came with the phone. So it can go both ways but it definitely swings way toward your logic.
    01-24-2016 07:27 AM
    When the 6.0 update arrives, I finally hope that VZ double and triple checks it BEFORE releasing it.

My Note 5 is running smoothly in every aspect. Especially connecting to WiFi and 4G and battery life.

Install Package Disabler Pro, disable carrier updates (mine is AT&T software update, I'm guessing Verizon's is something along those lines). Wait a month or so to see what you hear from real users about the update. If it's all good, re-enable updates and pull the trigger.

That's my path anyway.
    01-24-2016 07:30 AM

I have DirecTV and they sent out an offer when AT&T acquired them this past October. It was an offer "too good to refuse" so after 23 years with Verizon, I switched. I have been very happy so far but, to get to my point, my Note 5 has been running so well with Lollipop, I hate to even think about a new OS. My Note 4 was hell when VZW updated to Lollipop - the AT&T Note 5 came with Lollipop and has worked so well, I'd say it's the BEST cellphone experience I've ever had. They can keep Marshmallow as far as I'm concerned (all though, the Battery Keeper? idea sounds great)! That's it... sorry for the long winded reply!
    bassplayrguy likes this.
    01-25-2016 01:27 PM
    Samsung Galaxy S6 and Note 5 Marshmallow updates pushed to February/March

http://phandroid.com/2016/01/25/sams...llow-update-2/

So it looks like June or July for VZ customers.

01-25-2016 05:52 PM
    It's really not that big a deal. Marshmallow isn't a huge update.
    Maye likes this.
    01-25-2016 09:48 PM
    im hoping it doesnt come out till 2017. By then ill have the note6 and wont care.
    01-26-2016 04:34 AM
    I have DirecTV and they sent out an offer when AT&T acquired them this past October. It was an offer "too good to refuse" so after 23 years with Verizon, I switched. I have been very happy so far but, to get to my point, my Note 5 has been running so well with Lollipop, I hate to even think about a new OS. My Note 4 was hell when VZW updated to Lollipop - the AT&T Note 5 came with Lollipop and has worked so well, I'd say it's the BEST cellphone experience I've ever had. They can keep Marshmallow as far as I'm concerned (all though, the Battery Keeper? idea sounds great)! That's it... sorry for the long winded reply!
    They (AT&T) will push the update to your phone and there's nothing you can do about it. I think you can postpone it once but then go to bed with your phone on and wake up with an updated OS. Simple fix as I said above. Buy Package Disabler Pro, it's relatively cheap, and disable AT&T system updates until the general population starts to talk about the good and bad of the update. Then, you can decide if it's good to update or not.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    01-26-2016 09:16 AM
    I mean if we don't hurry and get marshmallow. The next update will be around the corner lol Android N lol!!

01-26-2016 10:17 AM
    It's really not that big a deal. Marshmallow isn't a huge update.
    Totally agree. It's pretty much lollipop with the ability to control app permissions and doze mode.
    01-26-2016 11:10 AM
    Totally agree. It's pretty much lollipop with the ability to control app permissions and doze mode.
    So long as they keep pushing security updates in a timely manner, I am happy. My entire business is on that phone and there is no excuse not to push security updates in a timely manner.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    01-26-2016 12:28 PM
    Write on PDF app just updated via Google play, and it's changelog simply stated that it was updated for Android 6.0. Mean anything? Am I looking far too much into it? Probably...

The nexus 6p is running 6.0 therefore all Google apps have been updatung for 6.0

01-26-2016 05:48 PM
56 123