Note 5 - Android M (6.0) update - Still waiting

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Just because an update isn't pushed to your device the instant it is speculated to be released doesn't qualify your current OS as outdated. The Lollipop OS a relatively new OS version, especially 5.1.1.

I understand what you mean but lollipop might as well become past tense all the 2016 phones wont run on 5.1.1 making phonea older in that sense. Believe me i love the note 5 even without sd card which i dont have a need for its still about these flagship phones shouldnt be waiting especially from Samsung ive owned a galaxy s2 a note 2,3,4 and now 5 its about time they get it done fast not wait and have the brand new phone and still have a phone like a note 5 waiting for the new note to drop. Its like owning a phone but continues to get left behind cause the next best thing is out. Nah i dont buy it im tired of waiting its 2016 not 2012 where this tech was still in development These carriers and services need to get on point with consumers

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Personally I buy a device for what it can deliver now. Not what may or may not come later on. Tomorrow isn't promised. If you want upgraded for certain you need a Nexus device or a iPhone. If you don't get either of those then you run the risk of delayed updates.

That is why you should always buy a device you like as is without waiting for what is around the corner. Chances are anyway once the update arrives it will break something anyways.

Not all will agree and that's OK. That's what makes forums like these so fun. Everyone has a different take on stuff.

Mike_786

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Don't get an iPhone! Warning you right now! Even if the updates come really fast it ruins your phone. Like I had the iPhone 5s which ran really good then after updating it the phone started doing everything extra slow. The point is that Apple makes their old phones unusable with each update forcing you to buy a newer phone.

dennisharrison

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Don't get an iPhone! Warning you right now! Even if the updates come really fast it ruins your phone. Like I had the iPhone 5s which ran really good then after updating it the phone started doing everything extra slow. The point is that Apple makes their old phones unusable with each update forcing you to buy a newer phone.

Wholeheartedly disagree. iOS 7 was a bugbear for older devices, and iOS 8 had issues automatically freeing up space on full devices, but - updates have been smooth for the vast majority of software updates (especially on newer devices).

All that said, I totally understand why we are having to wait on Marshmallow for the note 5. There is quite a bit of extra functionality to test and certify - doze is kind of a big deal to make sure _some_ apps are compatible.

Updates can be rough, what feature(s) are you wanting the most right now?

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I am in no rush, sometimes these updates are not as good as what you currently have. When it comes, it comes. I don't feel like my phone is out dated, it's working great.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It's to be expected honestly. If you want updates as soon as they come out get a nexus. That's the sad reality of the Android space.

Btw, Marshmallow isn't all that exciting. I'm more irritated by the lack of security updates. My phone is current as of October lol. I guess the only way to have a secure android phone is to have a nexus.

Posted via the Android Central App

That would be your carrier. I'm on TMO and I get my security update monthly.

icecoolfsu

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had 5 Samsung phones, including the Note 4 before the Note 5. Trust me, you really don't want the update. I regretted it on every phone. Each one was very wonky after the update. The Note 5 runs better than any other Samsun phone I've used. I'm probably not going to install the update when it gets pushed to preserve the quality of the experience.

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Have had a couple of updates this week that lead me to believe we should be seeing it soon.

ebb824747f0686106ddc5345fb2f1b1d.jpg
87b1390fa62365d93eb0a5500f0e7824.jpg

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Still waiting

This is the case of android phones, very slow adoption rate of new operating systems.

Look at the latest chart of the operating systems all the android phones are Currently running all around.

Marshmallow - 0.7 %
Lollipop - 32.6 %
KitKat - 36.1 %
JellyBean - 24.7 %
Ice cream s, gingerbread, froyo - 5.9 %

Been over 3 months and marshmallow less than 1%.
Why does this happen so? Is this because the phone manufacturers give up on updates?

A lot of people don't upgrade. My dad has an S2. He got it right when the S4 came out, so it was the last of the models. It works pretty good for him, but I doubt it's had any updates in software. Maybe a security thing from tmobile but that would be it, if that.

Just because I was curious, I was wondering about those cheap phones like at walmart (or Target or anywhere, but I went to walmart online). There's an LG phone for $45 on Straight talk (prepaid I think) that's running Gingerbread. An S4 for $299 that's running 4.2.2 JellyBean. This is where some of those stats are coming from. If they get an upgrade when bought and activated, who knows, but it won't be much higher, one OS if that.

Miami1683

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
The sad reality is simple. Even when Samsung sends the update to the carrier then it has to be tested.

The process takes time to happen for each carrier. In my case VZW is very strict with what they will release and it will still be broken once it is released.

I was very involved in some of those process a while back. It doesn't get easy and even at the end something was so wrong.

So here is why I bought a moto x pure a month back. It went straight to 6.0 on vzw but now is stuck there instead of 6.0.1 and I'm back on my note 5 because I simply love the S pen and what functionality it brings to the experience. My pure just sits on the desk waiting for me to pick it up again.

I don't buy every phone any more but I but i buy every note. All in hopes of the experience and S pen functionality had improved.

Meanwhile the update isn't ready yet. ...again ... but I'll spend my $700 this year on the note 6

Last edited:

tubbz the bull

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
The sad reality is simple. Even when Samsung sends the update to the carrier then it has to be tested.

The process takes time to happen for each carrier. In my case VZW is very strict with what they will release and it will still be broken once it is released.

I was very involved in some of those process a while back. It doesn't get easy and even at the end something was so wrong.

So here is why I bought a moto x pure a month back. It went straight to 6.0 on vzw but now is stuck there instead of 6.0.1 and I'm back on my note 5 because I simply love the S pen and what functionality it brings to the experience. My pure just sits on the desk waiting for me to pick it up again.

I don't buy every phone any more but I but i buy every note. All in hopes of the experience and S pen functionality had improved.

Meanwhile the update isn't ready yet. ...again ... but I'll spend my $700 this year on the note 6

I really dont care for updates unless there security updates but what need to happen and what i think is going to happen is the upgrades are... When the gs7 and note 6 comes out should come with the 6.0.1 software bcuhz atleast then the carriers have time to test and work the bugs out. Because now everyone get thirsty for an upgrade and complain about not getting on time rather than knowing we are all going to go get the new model anyway and get use it there then roll out the 6.0 to the note 5 and g6s and g6se+ and other models.

I hope you understood this it kind of sounded like i was rambling right now explaining the same thing to my co workers right now but personally i dont care this software is just fine fell asleep with my phone at 34% at 1156am woke up at 8am at 19% with Notifications and 4missed calls and the alarm was going off so i really dont have any complaints

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Write on PDF app just updated via Google play, and it's changelog simply stated that it was updated for Android 6.0. Mean anything? Am I looking far too much into it? Probably...

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
When the 6.0 update arrives, I finally hope that VZ double and triple checks it BEFORE releasing it.

My Note 5 is running smoothly in every aspect. Especially connecting to WiFi and 4G and battery life.

In the past, there were SO MANY problems with VZ and Samsung updates.

I don't want any problems!

VZ... are you reading this?

flychinook

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
There was a Sprint memo earlier this week, Android 6.0 rollout is "starting in February" for Samsung phones. No specific date is given. IIRC, all of Sprint's Samsung phones and tablets from the S5 and newer are set to get it "in the following months".

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Still waiting

A lot of people don't upgrade. My dad has an S2. He got it right when the S4 came out, so it was the last of the models. It works pretty good for him, but I doubt it's had any updates in software. Maybe a security thing from tmobile but that would be it, if that.

Just because I was curious, I was wondering about those cheap phones like at walmart (or Target or anywhere, but I went to walmart online). There's an LG phone for $45 on Straight talk (prepaid I think) that's running Gingerbread. An S4 for $299 that's running 4.2.2 JellyBean. This is where some of those stats are coming from. If they get an upgrade when bought and activated, who knows, but it won't be much higher, one OS if that.

Exactly. However, I just bought a ZTE AT&T GoPhone just to play around with on WiFi (not to actually use with a SIM) and it cost me $40. It is running 5.1.1 and is slated for 6.0 as per the paperwork that came with the phone. So it can go both ways but it definitely swings way toward your logic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18