01-27-2016 02:09 PM
56 123
tools
    https://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/0...w-update-2016/

How can the largest android manufacturer be the slowest to get out updates. This is a great phone but what use is a great phone when the system is being outdated. I got this phone pre ordered and got it 2 days before the official release and now it fails where every note does late on an update release. WHEN WILL samsung get it right??? A friend who works developing software for Samsung confirmed a Mid January update or early February release hope thats right. Meanwhile LG phones are getting updated msyb ed a nexus phone we would be in my future. The Nexus 6P doesn't convince me to switch lets see what 2016 brings
    01-05-2016 10:23 PM
    Get used to it. If I wanted updates that bad or hated waiting for them I wouldn't get but Nexus devices.
    mobdad, faith3935 and Chief FTR like this.
    01-06-2016 01:21 AM
    you will eventually get it and will likely be very let down by the update. its more likely to be the carrier slowing the release down than samsung
    waazzupppp likes this.
    01-06-2016 04:33 AM
    This is the case of android phones, very slow adoption rate of new operating systems.

Look at the latest chart of the operating systems all the android phones are Currently running all around.

Marshmallow - 0.7 %
    Lollipop - 32.6 %
    KitKat - 36.1 %
    JellyBean - 24.7 %
    Ice cream s, gingerbread, froyo - 5.9 %

Been over 3 months and marshmallow less than 1%.
    Why does this happen so? Is this because the phone manufacturers give up on updates?

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-06-2016 06:16 AM
    Been over 3 months and marshmallow less than 1%.
    Why does this happen so? Is this because the phone manufacturers give up on updates?

I wouldn't say they give up but they have to test all their software they put on it (Samsung apps), re-skin it all to ensure it looks and functions properly without bugs, and then release it. After that if you have a carrier version they then have to test their bloat and ensure it all works.

Nexus is the only true way to get quick updates directly from Google.
    01-06-2016 06:59 AM
    Other than doze (which only kicks in when you're not using your phone) and the ability to control app permissions what compelling feature does Marshmallow offer? I've been running MM on my N7 for months and it's pretty much the same as lollipop. Of course we all want timely updates but I'm in no hurry because it won't improve much over what we already have.
    BarfingMonkey and plumcrazy like this.
    01-06-2016 11:33 AM
    Other than doze (which only kicks in when you're not using your phone) and the ability to control app permissions what compelling feature does Marshmallow offer? I've been running MM on my N7 for months and it's pretty much the same as lollipop. Of course we all want timely updates but I'm in no hurry because it won't improve much over what we already have.
    IME updates almost always create more bugs than they cure. I can only remember one update that actually improvee performance and that was from froyp to gingerbreqd. Manufacturers do much more testing on new phones than old ones so the probability of bugs is very high when operating system is updated. The only updates I want are bug fixes and security patches. If I could I would block most updates.
    plumcrazy likes this.
    01-06-2016 11:40 AM
    IME updates almost always create more bugs than they cure. I can only remember one update that actually improvee performance and that was from froyp to gingerbreqd. Manufacturers do much more testing on new phones than old ones so the probability of bugs is very high when operating system is updated. The only updates I want are bug fixes and security patches. If I could I would block most updates.
    I agree. IMO the N5 is close to perfect on 5.1.1. Don't see the need for a hurried update. I'd rather Samsung or the carriers take their time and make sure it's right before rolling it out. If the phone was buggy right now I'd be screaming for an update but it's running great so I'm content
    cjsmoove and alphabets like this.
    01-06-2016 12:00 PM
    I agree. IMO the N5 is close to perfect on 5.1.1. Don't see the need for a hurried update. I'd rather Samsung or the carriers take their time and make sure it's right before rolling it out. If the phone was buggy right now I'd be screaming for an update but it's running great so I'm content
    Well of course if you had the bluetooth bug that makes signal only good for 3 feet you might be anxious for the update I suppose.
    01-06-2016 12:45 PM
    Well of course if you had the bluetooth bug that makes signal only good for 3 feet you might be anxious for the update I suppose.
    I had that bug on my 1st Note 5. I believe it is a hardware issue because the one I got for an exchange has been perfect for over 3 months.
    01-06-2016 01:15 PM
    The only thing I'm interested in is the Doze implementation which suppose to impact battery life. The rest of the OS is fine as it is IMO.
    01-06-2016 01:50 PM
    It's to be expected honestly. If you want updates as soon as they come out get a nexus. That's the sad reality of the Android space.

Btw, Marshmallow isn't all that exciting. I'm more irritated by the lack of security updates. My phone is current as of October lol. I guess the only way to have a secure android phone is to have a nexus.

01-06-2016 03:02 PM
    It's to be expected honestly. If you want updates as soon as they come out get a nexus. That's the sad reality of the Android space.

Btw, Marshmallow isn't all that exciting. I'm more irritated by the lack of security updates. My phone is current as of October lol. I guess the only way to have a secure android phone is to have a nexus.

What variant of the Note 5 do you have? Is it from a carrier?

That is why I was reluctant to get a N5 from from carriers, and bought the duos version from Taiwan. I just got it and updated to the latest build with the December security update.
    01-06-2016 03:18 PM
    The problem is people expect the new yearly update to be ready for all phones as soon as it is announced. That is just not the case..

Even when compared to iphone, if tou buy an iPhone anywhere close to release date your going to have that system for close to a year, and they only have one brand of phone.

With marshmallow being on so few kinds of android its obvious it takes a while to sift through brands and then carriers and out to the public.

I blame some of the people who review phones. I watch youtube reviews on phones like the note 5 and turbo 2 and one of the first things out of their mouth is "its only running the 5.1.1 not marshmallow". Well no kidding, these phones have been in development for a long time, they arent going to build a phone and then at the last second put a new version of android on it and take the chance of it being buggy.

I agree, marshmallow will be nice, hopefully add some battery life, but to think 6.0 is a wide spread version and we are sitting waiting for something everyone else has is really misleading. 5.1.1 is the newest mass release of android, and its not a year old yet.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!
    01-06-2016 03:34 PM
    I had MM on the nexus 6p. It is not all that different from 5.1.1. I'm fine without it. Doze wasn't all that impressive but it did work. I'm happy for now.
    01-06-2016 03:58 PM
    I had MM on the nexus 6p. It is not all that different from 5.1.1. I'm fine without it. Doze wasn't all that impressive but it did work. I'm happy for now.
    You know, for some reason, doze never worked consistently for me on the 6P, but when it did, the standby drain was minimal.
    01-06-2016 04:40 PM
    You know, for some reason, doze never worked consistently for me on the 6P, but when it did, the standby drain was minimal.
    For sure. Like I said it wasn't all that impressive. I get everyone wants the newest thing. Lord knows I buy every new device I can. But 6.0 is not that different so I'm not concerned.
    recDNA likes this.
    01-06-2016 04:48 PM
    Thats it. No 6.0 yet if i win the powerball I'm making my own cell phone I'll make a stock android system that is so good everyone will want my phone. I won't have system updates called .01 .05 and 1.1 ill have 1.0 2.0 and so on. It will be calles the Osc not Samsung Nexus Apple Motorola.

Just wait While we're at it I'LL also buy Android Central.
    01-06-2016 08:07 PM
    What variant of the Note 5 do you have? Is it from a carrier?

That is why I was reluctant to get a N5 from from carriers, and bought the duos version from Taiwan. I just got it and updated to the latest build with the December security update.
    Att model

01-06-2016 08:17 PM
    https://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/0...w-update-2016/

How can the largest android manufacturer be the slowest to get out updates. This is a great phone but what use is a great phone when the system is being outdated. I got this phone pre ordered and got it 2 days before the official release and now it fails where every note does late on an update release. WHEN WILL samsung get it right??? A friend who works developing software for Samsung confirmed a Mid January update or early February release hope thats right. Meanwhile LG phones are getting updated msyb ed a nexus phone we would be in my future. The Nexus 6P doesn't convince me to switch lets see what 2016 brings
    Just because an update isn't pushed to your device the instant it is speculated to be released doesn't qualify your current OS as outdated. The Lollipop OS a relatively new OS version, especially 5.1.1.
    Oscar Maradiaga and recDNA like this.
    01-06-2016 10:34 PM
    Just because an update isn't pushed to your device the instant it is speculated to be released doesn't qualify your current OS as outdated. The Lollipop OS a relatively new OS version, especially 5.1.1.
    I understand what you mean but lollipop might as well become past tense all the 2016 phones wont run on 5.1.1 making phonea older in that sense. Believe me i love the note 5 even without sd card which i dont have a need for its still about these flagship phones shouldnt be waiting especially from Samsung ive owned a galaxy s2 a note 2,3,4 and now 5 its about time they get it done fast not wait and have the brand new phone and still have a phone like a note 5 waiting for the new note to drop. Its like owning a phone but continues to get left behind cause the next best thing is out. Nah i dont buy it im tired of waiting its 2016 not 2012 where this tech was still in development These carriers and services need to get on point with consumers
    01-06-2016 10:51 PM
    Personally I buy a device for what it can deliver now. Not what may or may not come later on. Tomorrow isn't promised. If you want upgraded for certain you need a Nexus device or a iPhone. If you don't get either of those then you run the risk of delayed updates.

That is why you should always buy a device you like as is without waiting for what is around the corner. Chances are anyway once the update arrives it will break something anyways.

Not all will agree and that's OK. That's what makes forums like these so fun. Everyone has a different take on stuff.
    Kantiman and Ryano89 like this.
    01-06-2016 11:10 PM
    Don't get an iPhone! Warning you right now! Even if the updates come really fast it ruins your phone. Like I had the iPhone 5s which ran really good then after updating it the phone started doing everything extra slow. The point is that Apple makes their old phones unusable with each update forcing you to buy a newer phone.
    James8561 likes this.
    01-06-2016 11:40 PM
    Don't get an iPhone! Warning you right now! Even if the updates come really fast it ruins your phone. Like I had the iPhone 5s which ran really good then after updating it the phone started doing everything extra slow. The point is that Apple makes their old phones unusable with each update forcing you to buy a newer phone.
    Wholeheartedly disagree. iOS 7 was a bugbear for older devices, and iOS 8 had issues automatically freeing up space on full devices, but - updates have been smooth for the vast majority of software updates (especially on newer devices).

All that said, I totally understand why we are having to wait on Marshmallow for the note 5. There is quite a bit of extra functionality to test and certify - doze is kind of a big deal to make sure _some_ apps are compatible.

Updates can be rough, what feature(s) are you wanting the most right now?
    01-07-2016 12:56 AM
    I am in no rush, sometimes these updates are not as good as what you currently have. When it comes, it comes. I don't feel like my phone is out dated, it's working great.
    sweetypie31 likes this.
    01-07-2016 09:05 AM
56 123