"The device was reset. To continue, sign in with a google account that was previously.." Note 5

dajromm07

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
"The device was reset. To continue, sign in with a google account that was previously.." Note 5

I know this wasn't exactly a question, but I thought i'd make it easier and more logical for the layperson who's searching.

The issue is with a Note 5 that's been left with me at my shop. He got his phone early December, it worked fine for a month, until this Sunday when his thumb print wouldn't work because his had was wet from the shower. This then lead to his phone being locked out for 72 hours. It's now Thursday, and his phone continues to be in this infuriating boot loop.

I have tried wiping/factory reset about 5 times, but it continues to give me the error 'E: failed to mount/ preload (no such file or directory)' and then 'data wipe complete'

It will reboot to what seems like a completely wiped phone, but after putting in language and wifi, it tries to connect to the network, and finally returns to the page with the statement 'To continue, sign in with a google account..'

Apparently the technician prior to me flashed it with an APK file multiple times to reset the phone, but alas, no dice.

I have a feeling that this issue has a lot to do with the "kill switch" law just put in place in California.
(i'd post a link to the story, but this site wont let me yet)

It's either this, or a google bug. I am currently out of options

I hope I gave you all enough info! haha

SO.... If anyone has this issue/knows anything about it, please help!

Much appreciate. Much Love.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: "The device was reset. To continue, sign in with a google account that was previously.." Note 5

I have a feeling that this issue has a lot to do with the "kill switch" law just put in place in California.

It does sound like that could be it. Smartphone 'kill switch' law takes effect in California - CNET

I have no idea how to get past it other than to give the phone what it wants. Do you not have access to the original Google account info?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: "The device was reset. To continue, sign in with a google account that was previously.." Note 5

First, the wet finger thing is odd to me.

I'm not sure how many times you have to enter incorrect info to lock yourself out for 72 hours. It isn't just a wet finger.

Question.. How far from LA are all of you located?

Last edited:

waazzupppp

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

With Nokia devices, which I am sure everyone has a similar process in place, once the device was locked out, you had to send it in to have it unlocked. They would usually contact the carrier that issued the device to verify ownership, then reset the device IF it passed the background check. If it was reported stolen or had a claim paid on it, they would contact the sender and the owner and let them know that they were unable to repair the device.

I've also heard rumors about this working, but I can't confirm it because I'm not brave enough to try it out on my own, but...

"Take out your SIM card and SD card and then go to keypad and dial *2767*3855# and then call it will reset your phone however your data will be deleted your phone will switch off and then again switch on by itself and its done."

So with this method, you take everything out of the device, turn it back on, make an emergency call and bring up the dial pad during that call. You enter the code above and then the device will reset. Again, I haven't tried it, but I've heard multiple reports of it working with older Sammy devices.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I believe that code is just a factory reset code.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure I am missing something, but why doesn't the guy who "got his phone early December, it worked fine for a month, until this Sunday ..." just give you the Google account info "that was previously..." used on the phone so that you can sign in to this (presumably) locked device?

Frankly, I can't help but wonder if it is a stolen phone and the guy (the shop owner's customer, not the shop owner) is trying to find a way to get it unlocked. Have you tried contacting Samsung support directly?

Matt171979

May 5, 2016
Visit site

I faced this issue till yesterday, after trying all those options given in the net, I called Samsung customer care, they offered to flash the device and fix it. So I had to wait for the device to be picked by the technician till the next day. However the next day morning I tried to login and it worked. I believe we just need to wait for 24 hours and do not change your password, try after 24 hours and you can login. Though it spoiled my previous day, im happy its working now.

Marine6212

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site

If you lock the phone out due to entering the wrong "google" password and then try to change the password, you have to send the phone to samsung! This happened to me a few months ago when MM came out on Verizon. Took samsung 8 working days to fix phone and 3 days to ship back to me!

ekerbudeeeek

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site

Take it to a samsung rep at best buy. They can low level format and reinstall the OS. So can an AT&T service center (both are relevant only if u r in the US of course)

Posted via the Android Central App

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Apparently you can bypass FRP on Samsung phones to resolve the issues originally described here. You may wish to search on YouTube for the RootJunky videos.

tonee s

May 31, 2016
Visit site

Apparently you can bypass FRP on Samsung phones to resolve the issues originally described here. You may wish to search on YouTube for the RootJunky videos.