Buttons on Galaxy Note 5 Stopped Working

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
So, I know I praised the new Note 5 about not having these said features, BUT now I'm re-thinking my decision. My phone has become in-operational. I can't turn the phone off, I can't restart it. Home button doesn't work, the recent and back keys no go. The only thinks working are the Volume keys, and the LED indicator light. The screen had turned black, and now the only thing that shows is my lock screen wallpaper. I will Have to take it into AT&T.

Luckily, I have my Note 3, but it's dead so it's charging. lol. There is always that BlackBerry Passport that I used to use.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go

So, I know I praised the new Note 5 about not having these said features, BUT now I'm re-thinking my decision. My phone has become in-operational. I can't turn the phone off, I can't restart it. Home button doesn't work, the recent and back keys no go. The only thinks working are the Volume keys, and the LED indicator light. The screen had turned black, and now the only thing that shows is my lock screen wallpaper. I will Have to take it into AT&T.

Luckily, I have my Note 3, but it's dead so it's charging. lol. There is always that BlackBerry Passport that I used to use.

I wouldn't take it to AT&T, you will get a refurb. You have another phone, send it to Samsung for them to look at and repair.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go

I wouldn't take it to AT&T, you will get a refurb. You have another phone, send it to Samsung for them to look at and repair.

The GODsend part is that as I mulled over my non-functional device, the screen lit up and it was my Dad. So thanks to him calling it would had saved me a trip to AT&T. The phone is working now. It might had been caught up in some continuous loop. I just don't like sending my phone in as my files and privacy data are in their hands. I'm just finicky about that. And if there were to get the phone working again after I had sent it in, then it's exposed to them.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

The GODsend part is that as I mulled over my non-functional device, the screen lit up and it was my Dad. So thanks to him calling it would had saved me a trip to AT&T. The phone is working now. It might had been caught up in some continuous loop. I just don't like sending my phone in as my files and privacy data are in their hands. I'm just finicky about that. And if there were to get the phone working again after I had sent it in, then it's exposed to them.

Oh no the files aren't in their hands. They tell you to reset before you send it in. If you don't, they will.

You should always reset a phone before sending it in. When it is dead, they remove the OS anyway and that erases everything, as does them replacing the motherboard.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Oh no the files aren't in their hands. They tell you to reset before you send it in. If you don't, they will.

You should always reset a phone before sending it in. When it is dead, they remove the OS anyway and that erases everything, as does them replacing the motherboard.

So, reset would be from the Find.mysamsung.com site to do it remotely?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

So, reset would be from the Find.mysamsung.com site to do it remotely?

Well.. If it isn't working the remote wipe won't work. If you can't at least boot into recovery so you can reset, the first thing they will do is remove the OS and put it back on again. If that doesn't work or they can't do that, they are going to replace the motherboard.

When I cracked the screen on my Note 2 and sent it in, I had to reset the phone before sending it in. When you send a phone to Samsung for any repair, they are going to check it top to bottom. They also don't need passwords, fingerprints and PINS, etc on a phone when they are checking it. So if they can get the phone to boot up, the first thing they will do is wipe the phone, even if you already reset it.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Well.. If it isn't working the remote wipe won't work. If you can't at least boot into recovery so you can reset, the first thing they will do is remove the OS and put it back on again. If that doesn't work or they can't do that, they are going to replace the motherboard.

When I cracked the screen on my Note 2 and sent it in, I had to reset the phone before sending it in. When you send a phone to Samsung for any repair, they are going to check it top to bottom. They also don't need passwords, fingerprints and PINS, etc on a phone when they are checking it. So if they can get the phone to boot up, the first thing they will do is wipe the phone, even if you already reset it.

If this happens again, how would I boot it into recovery if only the volume keys were to function? I tried pressing the power button, volume keys And home button yesterday. The phone would Not respond. All I could do was turn up or down the volume of the music that was blasting out my speaker.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Folks I spun this off to it's own thread because it's not really related to whether or not Samsung ought to have SD cards and/or removable batteries.

I was curious if ADB works on your phone also. If it is, you might be able to get away with controlling it from a PC.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

If this happens again, how would I boot it into recovery if only the volume keys were to function? I tried pressing the power button, volume keys And home button yesterday. The phone would Not respond. All I could do was turn up or down the volume of the music that was blasting out my speaker.

Have to have the power button to function also. If the phone is on, then you can remote wipe from Samsung or ADM.

Personally if it were me, having an extra phone I would go ahead and send it in to Samsung. Even if it isn't a full failure now, if there is a problem it could fail at a bad time for you.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Folks I spun this off to it's own thread because it's not really related to whether or not Samsung ought to have SD cards and/or removable batteries.

I was curious if ADB works on your phone also. If it is, you might be able to get away with controlling it from a PC.

I've never tried it on my phone.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Have to have the power button to function also. If the phone is on, then you can remote wipe from Samsung or ADM.

Personally if it were me, having an extra phone I would go ahead and send it in to Samsung. Even if it isn't a full failure now, if there is a problem it could fail at a bad time for you.

No, power button didn't work either. I couldn't restart the phone, or turn it off.

I asked how you could remote wipe it and you said it has to be rebooted. How does That work if None of the buttons, except for the volume up and down worked? Remember, I mentioned Find.mysamsung.com . I was asking if that could work? BUT through a computer. Obviously, if I couldn't do Anything with my phone, Could I Use My Computer to remote wipe the phone?

What is ADM?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No.. Remote wipe doesn't require a reboot. Booting into recovery requires you to turn off the phone and the buttons to work.

With Find My Mobile on Samsung, you can remote wipe your phone or unlock it. That is something done on the computer or the browser on another phone.

ADM is Android Device Manager and you can remote wipe your phone with that too.

ADB that Assassin is talking about is Android Debug Bridge.

http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
But.. The big thing is this. We are talking about Samsung, not some pop up corner unknown store. They aren't going to put their business at risk over the personal info on your phone. I doubt any of us have anything that is worth a worldwide business, major business, risking it all.

If you can't wipe your phone, they are going to do it first thing.