FaceTime for Android?

sincere11105

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
It would be nice to have apples FaceTime. More so there iMessage. I'm tired of the group text issue. I had an iPhone and was in the middle of a group text when I made the switch to the note 5. All other recipients have iPhones. I don't get those messages

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
We've landed on Hangouts as our group messaging app for the iPhone and Android users in our family. As noted above, Hangouts works well, as does Skype. I keep both on the Note 5, and have them installed on my Windows laptop and desktop.

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but, I refuse to get, or use Facebook. Simply isn't going to happen. But, if that is a solution for others, great...

PS: are you saying Tango doesn't work on AT&T? If so, that's a shame.

Sorry, I missed this question. Yes, Tango works on AT&T and the Note 5.

To your other comment about not getting Facebook....you actually don't have to use Facebook to use the Messenger app. They broke them apart so now you can use your phone number to activate Messenger as opposed to before where you needed to sign-in using a Facebook account.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
People calling video calling FaceTime just shows how strong Apple's marketing is.

buenos

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
What you all might be thinking about is VoLTE which verizon calls advanced calling (HD voice & HD Video), that only works with newer phones with advanced calling. But not to apple phones of course....you can get HD voice between apple and android but not HD video....the VZW, AT&T and tmobile have it already...but it can be hit & miss between them......

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
What you all might be thinking about is VoLTE which verizon calls advanced calling (HD voice & HD Video), that only works with newer phones with advanced calling. But not to apple phones of course....you can get HD voice between apple and android but not HD video....the VZW, AT&T and tmobile have it already...but it can be hit & miss between them......

My Note 5 with AT&T (on 5.1.1) does not have that video button on the dialer...wonder how I go about getting that added?

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I missed this question. Yes, Tango works on AT&T and the Note 5.

To your other comment about not getting Facebook....you actually don't have to use Facebook to use the Messenger app. They broke them apart so now you can use your phone number to activate Messenger as opposed to before where you needed to sign-in using a Facebook account.

...ah, sort of like WhatsApp. Hmm, scary ;)

buenos

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
My Note 5 with AT&T (on 5.1.1) does not have that video button on the dialer...wonder how I go about getting that added?

this is what i see on att site:

To use Video Call, you and the person you’re calling will need to be AT&T postpaid wireless customers in an AT&T HD Voice coverage area and have a Video Call-capable device. To start, we’re launching Video Call on the Samsung Galaxy S 6 Active and will be expanding to other devices soon. - See more at: AT&T Launches Video Calling and Advanced Messaging | AT&T

maybe call and see if its enabled for note 5 yet...which would be weird???

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I am on Verizon and have a Note 5. A friend of mine just moved over to Verizon and got an S6. We tried Video call the other day and worked great. I also have an IPAD and have used Facetime with my daughter and other relatives as they all have Iphones. I got the IPAD for a number of reasons, one of which was Facetime. I tried to use Tango and other apps that are cross platform, but as stated before the other party has to install them too. There is a certain amount of resistance from Iphone users to use cross platform apps for communications. Their response has been "why don't you just get an Iphone, that would be eaiser". I like the Video Phone on the Galaxy line. It is very easy to use and works on WiFi as well as on the cell phone (if wifi calling is implemented). So Verizon please expand WiFi calling to other devices. The call was crisp and clear and the video was excellent quality thanks to the higher resolution camera on the devices.
Now if we can only get this on other devices (Iphone) so video calls can be mad3 regardless of the platform.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it's much easier to spend $750 on a phone instead of downloading an app!! Talk about lazy!

The mentality of some, not all and not most, is that is no other phone out there except iphone. That you should just conform and march in lock step like the other apple zombies. If you jjist get an iphone it would be so much easier (for them of course) than having to download and learn to use another app.

Again before the flames start, this only applies to certain iphone users.

I can say one thing about my ipad. I am now convinced more than ever that Android is the way to go, at least for me. To get any kind of organization i have to resort to folders. It is just one big app drawer. No real home screen, real widgets, and of course no customization.

But facetime with the grandkids is worth it, at least for now.

Posted via the Android Central App

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the Note 5 and there is a FaceTime option, but I think it's only available between Samsung device. I have 2 sons in college one has an HTC and the other has an S5, I can FaceTime with my son who has S5. Feature is not available on HTC.

FaceTime is a brand name owned by Apple. It's highly unlikely that you have an Android app named FaceTime. If you do, it's only a matter of minutes until the developer is sued out of existence.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
FaceTime is a brand name owned by Apple. It's highly unlikely that you have an Android app named FaceTime. If you do, it's only a matter of minutes until the developer is sued out of existence.

It is true there are Facetime LIKE apps or features available. The phone app supports video calls provided the other person has a suppoted phone. A green camera will light up in that person's contact. Apps like Tango are cross platform but require both parties to have the same app. Trying to get an apple user to use a third party app to do what Facetime does between apple users is difficult. I know i have tried. Rather then them downloading a free app, their solution is fo you to spend $700+ to buy an iphone. The apple culture and mindset is hard to break. Don't even try to convince them that their free app is better than you paying for an iphone. It is a waste of time.
When looking for a new tablet, I included the ipad in my comparisons. Best Buy had them on sell for $125 off. Facetime was only a mimor player in my decision. Price was another. I broke down and got the ipad. I like the facetime feature and can now video call my daughter and her family. IOS9 is not my favorite OS but I am getting use to it and it's limitations. I miss custizations but I am learning to live with it. Widgets on the other hand are another thing. No active info on the home screen is frustrating to say the least. You have to pulldown a screen to see the limited widgets apple does have. Not the best solution.

athomas917

May 27, 2013
Visit site

So is iTunes but its available for PC. BBM is owned by RIM but available to all platforms. Google Hangouts is available for IOS. Apple should make Facetime available to all

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Trying to get an apple user to use a third party app to do what Facetime does between apple users is difficult. I know i have tried. Rather then them downloading a free app, their solution is fo you to spend $700+ to buy an iphone. The apple culture and mindset is hard to break.

These folks aren't worth talking to. If they pretend to be your friends then it's clear they're not.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
So is iTunes but its available for PC. BBM is owned by RIM but available to all platforms. Google Hangouts is available for IOS. Apple should make Facetime available to all

Apple's only business it to make money. They're not a benevolent organization. iTunes is available for all because that makes Apple money. Lots of money. There's no money to be made for Apple by supplying FaceTime to non iPhone users.