What kind of Gmail address do you use for your Note 5?

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand. What is it about a real name address that makes it more susceptible to hacking than an obscure one.

I have four email addresses and one is my first name and last name separated by a period. Never been "hacked".

I use this email address for business (although I am now retired) and created it for that purpose rather than something like ilikebacon@gmail.com or ibitemytoenails@yahoo.com (used for examples) which obviously doesn't sound very professional.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Same here. To many hacks into emails with real names. Even someone at my company in an outside office with the same domain got hacked. Luckily my computer was ok, our filter caught it. I've had a Hotmail.com one for about 2 decades and because it's so obscure I don't think anyone wants it. I didn't know I would need a Gmail account when I got the Droid 1, so it's similar, but slightly different.
Yeah, real name accounts are a problem but a lot of people like them because they're easy to remember and they like the personalized sound. JohnSmith@gmail.com just is kinda friendlier than j-s.4597@gmail.com.

I don't understand. What is it about a real name address that makes it more susceptible to hacking than an obscure one.

I have four email addresses and one is my first name and last name separated by a period. Never been "hacked".

I use this email address for business (although I am now retired) and created it for that purpose rather than something like ilikebacon@gmail.com or ibitemytoenails@yahoo.com (used for examples) which obviously doesn't sound very professional.
Spam bots are programmed to try named accounts possibilities over random simply because the ogdds of success are higher. IOW the odds of finding johnsmith@gmail.com are much better than the abstract j-s.4597@gmail.com.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Spam bots are programmed to try named accounts possibilities over random simply because the ogdds of success are higher. IOW the odds of finding johnsmith@gmail.com are much better than the abstract j-s.4597@gmail.com.

So how is this "bot" going to find johnsmith@gmail.com? And if it does is it going to send the phishing email asking the subject to verify their gmail password? Anybody that falls for that deserves to be "hacked".

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
So how is this "bot" going to find johnsmith@gmail.com?
By simply guessing as I explained earlier. If a message gets delivered instead of bounced back as "Unknown address" then bingo! An active email address.

And if it does is it going to send the phishing email asking the subject to verify their gmail password? Anybody that falls for that deserves to be "hacked".
Possibly. Someone might be dumb enough to send their password. There's people who believe there's a Morrocan prince who's stranded in Bangladesh, but he has $5 million in offshore accounts and if you can just...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
He was simply stating they actually give you a lot of control versus other companies on what happens with your data. Don't take his word for it if you don't want to -- go read through the Terms on them and others and you will see Google isn't that bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This is my personal view....

I have one gmail account.. use it for everything. I'm logged into Chrome on my laptops, on my phone, etc. I use it for my primary account and everything points back into it. Am I afraid that I am going to have my identity stolen? A little bit, but there are other tools I have in place to monitor that and keep an eye on things.

As for prying government eyes... the way I see it, I am not that important. The NSA, FBI, et. al. have substantially more pressing items on their hands than to monitor anything I'm doing. I've given them zero reasons to violate my privacy.... If any of those organizations were sniffing around ur dataz... well, you're most likely up to some pretty gangsta stuff to have it get to that point. Good luck with that.

So back to one account. I view things as a quid pro quo. My online presence pretty much gets filtered through my google account. With that information, Google gets to build an anonymous profile which it can monetize via advertising. In return, I get an integrated experience across more services than I could readily list in a reasonable amount of time. And not only are these services predominantly free of charge, most all of those same services are best in class in their respective category.

And this all breaks down if I start splitting things up into different users.