Phone keeps trying to install gear vr

pmendoza502

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
So last night after using my portable battery pack for just a few mins my phone tried to install samsung gear vr and now it wont stop trying.

It keeps connecting and disconnecting to a charger regardless of if a charger is connected or not. Sometimes it indicates that its connected to a dock.

Ive tried restarting the phone, wiping the cache, disabling samsung vr processes but doing so only lasts for a few mins before the malfunction happens again.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
So to clarify, your phone is trying to install oculus? If you hadn't already done so, install oculus app completely, then try uninstalling it from there. Can't guarantee it will work, but that's what I would try.

geoman78

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
The same thing happened to me about 2 months ago. For two weeks I went through hell but I was patient. I let the installs come through and finally one day no more trouble. I did clear the cache but otherwise did nothing else. Some say it was a hardware issue but that's definitely not the case because I'm 2 months free of issues now.

Posted via the Android Central App

pmendoza502

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Samsung vr will come on randomly and try to install itself. I tried letting it install all the way and just leaving it, but it will self activate randomly.

I also tried letting install completely then uninstalling but that didnt help either. And ive cleared the cache 3 times already. Tried safemode, but it wont let me disable samsung vr.

I read some where that the usb port is defective or faulty, having it checked today...

pmendoza502

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Took it to sprint today and they did a factory reset. At first, while in the store it started doing it again, so they ordered me areplacement. I took the malfunctioning note 5 back and after an andriod software update the problem seems to have gone away.

The replacement is coming in 2 days, so I'm going to be watching this thing like a hawk till then, if the factory reset really worked, not only will i be amazed but also a little hesitant to exchange my phone. I guess some what sentimental, but also do not want a refurb...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
The oculus apps are supposed to try and install itself after you plug your phone into the gear vr the first time. For whatever reason, it may be detecting (incorrectly) that it has been plugged into a gear VR. An internal problem may become persistent as it may keep falsely detecting the gear VR. I suspect the gear VR provides a specific data signal to the phone to tell it the gear VR is connected. It's likely a steady signal as it stays in VR mode when plugged in. It's easily possible a portable battery or charger may be providing the wrong dedicated charger signal and triggering the gear VR signal instead of the dedicated charger signal.

pmendoza502

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
So another thing i did, was remove the magnetic kickstand from my phone case. It has been full 24+ hours and the problem seems to have gone away.

I have my fingers crossed

JMiddle59

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I started having this same problem about a week ago, it started in the middle of the night.

I tried everything, uninstalled all apps that recently updated, safe mode, even downloaded an app that can force disable pre-installed apps, and finally had to do a factory reset in order for Verizon to be willing to send me a new phone.

At first the factory reset worked until about 15 hours later it started to happen all over again, I noticed it started happening right after a forced update of a google app and youtube came through. I tried uninstalling all updates that I could but it is still happening.

My note 5 is 2 months old, I have an otterbox on it which covers the charging port and I have yet to drop it so I really think negligent damage is out of the picture.

Samsung needs to figure out what is causing this to happen as it should be a software fix even if the port has some sort of interference causing it to think a gear VR or dock is connected.

JMiddle59

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
No the Otterbox doesn't have a magnet. I found another forum that told me to Uninstalling the Gmail updates and it worked. Not sure why but I'm going to stick with it until it acts up again.

Give that a shot and let me know if it works for you too.

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I had this same problem on my Note 5 along with phantom charging prompts that would fire off like a machine gun thus draining my battery in the process. As many have stated, just trying to disable the app via Application Manager works for like five minutes and then you are back at square one. I did a factory reset a few months back and everything seemed good until about a week ago when I was on vacation in Chicago.

It started doing it the morning I was set to leave and kept trying to auto install Gear VR throughout the trip back home to Michigan. The odd thing was, as soon as I crossed over in to Michigan it stopped. I thought all was good, but a few days later it started doing t again. I am not a fan of factory resetting as it is a pain, but I was about to do another one (even if it only did fix it for a few months) until I saw on another thread where they mentioned using an app called Package Disabler Pro (link below).

I looked it up and there were a ton of reviews from people in the same boat as us that said this did the trick and stopped it for good. This particular app only works on Samsung devices though, but to me it is worth the $2.00 if it permanently corrects the issue. I just installed it, disabled the Gear VR services and it stopped immediately. I'll let it run a few days and report back.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.ospolice.packagedisablerpro&token=YJdxq6Vt

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
It has been just over two days and since installing this app I no longer get the install requests for the Gear VR. Success!

I am still however having phantom charging issues. My phoned wigged out yesterday morning for a few hours as if I were plugging the charging in and unplugging it right after. I tried multiple things to get it to stop to no avail. Eventually it just stopped on its own. At this point I am unsure if it is a faulty Micro USB port or something else triggering it.

Sean Jahnig

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Kamen,

Have you found a solution yet? There's enough people suffering that it almost feels like a software problem

JMiddle59

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I tried everything including the app which worked for a few days. Samsung customer service was no help and wanted me to ship them my phone so they could look into it which would take up to 10 business days leaving me without a phone.

Luckily Verizon customer service was much more helpful and they shipped me a refurbished note 5 and took the one that wasn't working.

Not too sure

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried Samsung customer support just now as well, and they are still not aware of this issue, or at least not admitting it. Hopefully if enough people contact them they will get a fix in place. For now, I'm off to exchange my Note 5 for an S7 Edge. I guess having the Jump On Demand from T-Mobile is saving me from frustration!

KeyeUL

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue, started this morning!

> Samsung Gear VR trying to install on its own and after uninstalling it, it tries again.
>Phantom charging
>> Says its charging but not plugged
>> Says its not charging but its plugged in
>> Says connected to the dock
>> Says power sharing cable is connected and suggests I download the app otherwise I could transfer all my power to what ever is connected...(which is nothing).

I find it interesting that this sort of thing at least in this thread has been happening since 1-18-16.

How many of us have the samsung app store installed? I have only recently installed it about a week or two ago.

I will try the old tech support routine and will report back if there is anything of interest.

Last edited:

JMiddle59

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Just talk to your cell phone provider. Calling Samsung support is a waste of time.

I personally will never buy another Samsung phone because of their customer service. Back to LG for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1