Samsung fixes Spen backwards issue on newer Note 5s

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
And this is partly why phones are 800 plus dollars. I see where you are coming from and I agree that a lot of companies do it. I just don't agree with it.

Well that's a different topic for a different day. In some cases, we end up with better, more reliable products... in other cases we end up with 'Caution : Contents may be hot" warnings on the side of coffee cups. Samsung obviously had enough complaints, warranty claims, bad press to go in and make a tweak to the switch (and kind of without making a big deal over it too)

In the end, sometimes a simple design element is the right choice, even though the user should really know better.

claymore.jpg

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
OK... this was something spoken about, in length, back when the story broke. Yes, putting the S-Pen in backwards is a mistake on the part of the user and most people wouldn't have that problem. But.... one of the most critical component of product testing and quality assurance is what's called 'negative path' testing. This involves purposefully using the product incorrectly. Whether the product is a toaster or a piece of software, the concept is the same; if it can be done wrong, it will be done wrong. And the manufacturer really has to do their due diligence in these cases. If the design can be changed to eliminate or reduce the chances of it happening, change the design.

So back to the enclosure for the S-Pen. If someone inserts the pen the wrong way (and there really isn't anything mechanically to stop that), if the narrowed portion of the S-Pen, the 'cap', passes that black switch, the switch will snag on it when removed, and there is a high likelihood that the switch will break if the S-Pen is removed at that point.

That is most certainly a design flaw. Sure, it is a design flaw that only occurs due to an error on the part of the user, it is still a flaw. It's why manual gearboxes have lockouts to keep someone from going from 5th gear to reverse and why electrical codes require GFI outlets in bathrooms.

Disagree. Gasoline engines run on gasoline, not DIESEL. The manual for the car specifically states not to put diesel in your gasoline engine. The manual says NOT to insert the pen in backwards or damage may occur. So it's the manufacturers fault of the engine if someone puts diesel in the engine that runs on gasoline and it damages the engine?

Lol it's pure carelessness nothing else. Like the one guy whose S-Pen magically broke in half while "INSIDE" the silo. WTF are you doing to the phone or the pen to get it to break whether inside or outside the silo?! But then that was blamed on the design of the pen also. You can only ***** proof these electronic devices so much. What's next? "I dropped it in the pool, it doesn't work, so it's a design flaw?" Even though it tells you not to get the device wet. C'mon now...

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Disagree. Gasoline engines run on gasoline, not DIESEL. The manual for the car specifically states not to put diesel in your gasoline engine. The manual says NOT to insert the pen in backwards or damage may occur. So it's the manufacturers fault of the engine if someone puts diesel in the engine that runs on gasoline and it damages the engine?

Lol it's pure carelessness nothing else. Like the one guy whose S-Pen magically broke in half while "INSIDE" the silo. WTF are you doing to the phone or the pen to get it to break whether inside or outside the silo?! But then that was blamed on the design of the pen also. You can only ***** proof these electronic devices so much. What's next? "I dropped it in the pool, it doesn't work, so it's a design flaw?" Even though it tells you not to get the device wet. C'mon now...

Exactly what I have been saying.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Exactly what I have been saying.

People want to blame the manufacturer for their failures. I fail to see how it is a design flaw. A diesel nozzle goes in the same exact way as a gasoline nozzle. How do you save those from themselves that don't pay attention? It's really not a hard concept and an instruction manual explicitly tells you what and what NOT to do.

My impression is alot of these people shouldn't own these phones in the first place. Stick with a BlackBerry phone. It's a plastic box with an antennae and a battery. Very rugged. Hard to break and no external moving parts. Again, the issue is not Samsung. The issue is a large population of people that utilize their expensive device in a careless manner and then when they break it, it's someone elses fault.

Last edited:

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Not all manuals are that specific. There was some vehicle that the front of the manual was written for the diesel version of the vehicle and the back version written for the gas version. If someone just quickly checked the manual (and some young girl did), you would think to put diesel in it. Plus the top of the most gas tanks are wide enough to fit a diesel gas pump in, the lower part fits the gas pump perfectly. My gas tank is like that. Those who are young or have worked on farms with diesel vehicles, may not know any better.

I've never done any of this, but have calls on this at my day job (in vehicle fleet).

About the Note 5 manual regarding the Spen insertion. Mine never said that. Here's a picture I took of the manual. I got it on launch day at t-mobile.

serpent2005

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I pre-ordered mine and it didn't come with a manual - just a quick start guide that made no mention of this issue. I'm pretty sure the manual was updated only after this issue became public. Anyway I don't think a warning would be enough because it's too easy to tweak the design as they did to make this a non-issue. I'm glad they fixed it even though I won't benefit.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Not all manuals are that specific. There was some vehicle that the front of the manual was written for the diesel version of the vehicle and the back version written for the gas version. If someone just quickly checked the manual (and some young girl did), you would think to put diesel in it. Plus the top of the most gas tanks are wide enough to fit a diesel gas pump in, the lower part fits the gas pump perfectly. My gas tank is like that. Those who are young or have worked on farms with diesel vehicles, may not know any better.

I've never done any of this, but have calls on this at my day job (in vehicle fleet).

About the Note 5 manual regarding the Spen insertion. Mine never said that. Here's a picture I took of the manual. I got it on launch day at t-mobile.

Boils down to common sense and being just a little bit smarter than whatever it is you are working on. People just need to pay attention and make sure you know how to operate a piece of machinery or technology before touching it. It is your responsibility to learn to use a product, not the manufacturers' to save you from yourself. IMHO

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Boils down to common sense and being just a little bit smarter than whatever it is you are working on. People just need to pay attention and make sure you know how to operate a piece of machinery or technology before touching it. It is your responsibility to learn to use a product, not the manufacturers' to save you from yourself. IMHO

Thank you for bringing a voice of reason to the thread.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I disagree. I found your past very rude and demeaning. Nor everyone is as smart as you. I'm not. I would need that on my quick start manual, which it wasn't. Samsung massed up.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Status
Not open for further replies.