Power Saving Always

Nsh222

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Just curious, is it only me or anyone else who has "Power Saving" feature working 24x7??
Inspite of never running 4g, no games, no music, no videos, just a bit of browsing, full signal strength, my Note 5s battery drains real quick. Pathetic battery life. Charge 2-3 times a day.
Now I feel that Power Saving feature is pretty much useless.

Posted via the Android Central App

angrytentpole

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes I use it all day, sometimes I have it off for the entire day. I don't really see a big difference with it on or off honestly.

On wifi, with bluetooth off, I play games for a couple of hours and do some browsing on chrome and it easily lasts the day.

Maybe your unit is defective?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Have not used Power Saving except for while on a trip recently when I used GPS, camera, and Google Maps heavily. In addition to that for much of the day there was intermittent cell signal. Around 3pm I turned on Power Saving, which helped me get through the evening. Normal workweek/weekend usage I can easily get 16+hrs off the charger.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Without knowing exactly what you are doing, charging 2-3x a day could be normal for your situation. Like running navigation on full brightness with hotspot on all the time...

Nsh222

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I have never had a battery issue, was very satisfied. This is happening from the past 3-4 weeks. Battery life has become pathetic. Even when I am on airplane mode the battery seems to fall at rates which it never did before 3-4 weeks.

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I have mine set to "power save" when the battery hits 15%. I get about 14 hrs of battery life on average before I even get to 20%. I do have a lot of unused apps disabled and I use Nova Launcher.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Is Google Services consuming significant battery percentage? Twice in the past few weeks I've had rapid battery drain and noticed that Google Services is at 25% or higher. The problem started soon as I got home and turned on WiFi. Noticed the phone getting warmer than usual, which led me to look into what may be happening. I understand that Google Services or one of the packages/processes for it will kick in once WiFi is on since I set Google Photos to only backup when on WiFi. Not sure which package/process it was that "ran away", but battery drain was rapid. Notice the gradual battery life decline from time off charger to around ~ 630pm. Upon arriving home battery % was over 60%, and before 10pm was basically drained. I wasn't using the phone much at all.
GoogleServicesBatteryPlummetNote5.PNG

Nsh222

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I do not have Google play services at all in the battery usage chart. The one this that is draining a lot is "Android System" and to add to that "Android OS". Two processes of android? This is my first android phone so I am unaware of these.
I have tried Google Now launcher assuming that it might take less battery, but with that running battery drain increased.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Android System and Android OS are in my experience typically high up on the battery consumer list, but that is to be expected given that they are essentially involved in running the operating system and all that it does.

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Is Google Services consuming significant battery percentage? Twice in the past few weeks I've had rapid battery drain and noticed that Google Services is at 25% or higher. The problem started soon as I got home and turned on WiFi. Noticed the phone getting warmer than usual, which led me to look into what may be happening. I understand that Google Services or one of the packages/processes for it will kick in once WiFi is on since I set Google Photos to only backup when on WiFi. Not sure which package/process it was that "ran away", but battery drain was rapid. Notice the gradual battery life decline from time off charger to around ~ 630pm. Upon arriving home battery % was over 60%, and before 10pm was basically drained. I wasn't using the phone much at all.
View attachment 213854

I have Google photos set to only back up when on WiFi and charging.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Check your location services settings. If you have it set to high accuracy, that could be the culprit. If you aren't using your phone for navigation, there really is no need to have that set any greater than power saving. Still very accurate and saves a ton of battery.

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I do not have Google play services at all in the battery usage chart. The one this that is draining a lot is "Android System" and to add to that "Android OS". Two processes of android? This is my first android phone so I am unaware of these.
I have tried Google Now launcher assuming that it might take less battery, but with that running battery drain increased.

Try clearing cache partition in recovery mode by pressing home+power+volume up at the same time for 7 sec+-.
Use your volume button to navigate to "wipe cache partition" and press the power button to select it. Then reboot your phone.
Wiping cache partition will not delete any personal data, games, pics etc.

2-3 charges a day is abnormal for a note 5. If the battery drain is still present after wiping cache partition, i recommend to do a full factory reset.

I rarely use power saving mode on my S5. Only when i really need my phone to be running up longer.
Why would you buy an expensive phone when you just use power saving mode to limit it? Better buy a cheaper phone but more huge battery like the Moto X play.

Posted with ❤Love❤

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have Google photos set to only back up when on WiFi and charging.

Good option. I've used that combination in the past. Think in my particular case, one of the Google Services packages/processes got hung up.

Nsh222

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Try clearing cache partition in recovery mode by pressing home+power+volume up at the same time for 7 sec+-.
Use your volume button to navigate to "wipe cache partition" and press the power button to select it. Then reboot your phone.
Wiping cache partition will not delete any personal data, games, pics etc.

2-3 charges a day is abnormal for a note 5. If the battery drain is still present after wiping cache partition, i recommend to do a full factory reset.

I rarely use power saving mode on my S5. Only when i really need my phone to be running up longer.
Why would you buy an expensive phone when you just use power saving mode to limit it? Better buy a cheaper phone but more huge battery like the Moto X play.

Posted with ❤Love❤

Thanks for your tip, but I am not at all familiar with all of that. Guess I'll just be using my iPhone as my primary phone till marshmallow comes up and test out the battery life with that OS. I heard it has got some pretty good battery saving options.

Nsh222

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Check your location services settings. If you have it set to high accuracy, that could be the culprit. If you aren't using your phone for navigation, there really is no need to have that set any greater than power saving. Still very accurate and saves a ton of battery.

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time

My location services is never on. I don't require it.I Don't use the maps app at all. Have got most of the map in my mind 😀

Nsh222

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
No that's not possible, it only gets goesw to power saving mode when you enable it. Can you show any screen shots?

What I meant was, am I the only one who leaves the power saving option always on. Or others do the same as well.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your tip, but I am not at all familiar with all of that. Guess I'll just be using my iPhone as my primary phone till marshmallow comes up and test out the battery life with that OS. I heard it has got some pretty good battery saving options.

Well, try to do a factory reset then. It fixes most problems for other people.

Posted with ❤Love❤

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool