left my Note 5 in my car at airport parking lot for over a week, temps always under 15 degrees

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I just came home from a week out of town. When I was leaving, I forgot my Note 5 in the cupholder of my car at the airport parking lot. I had another spare Note 5, so it didnt' cause any problem for me. The daytime high temperatures have been under 15 degrees during the last week. When I got into the car, the battery was dead, obviously.

I wonder if any damage has been done to the phone by leaving it in such low temperature for a week. I left it in the car and didn't bring it inside. It can't be good go bring it indoor where it's 75 degrees.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Cold temps shouldn't be an issue. I know folks that put their electronics in a freezer to maintain it over a long period of time.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Temps that low aren't great for the battery nor is running it down to "empty". You may find battery has less capacity. To avoid condensation and be super careful you could charge in the car so it warms internally before going into warm house with higher humidity. Another alternative is to put it in a bag of rice before going into the house and leave it for 2 days before charging. I don't think it is necessary but it might prevent condensation. The thing is the phone will heat up in the car on the way home so the temperature inside the phone won't be cold anymore and the car is much less humid than your home so I doubt you will get condensation anyway. You may notice battery life is diminished. Cold temperatures are hard on li ion batteries.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Depends on where you are... if it's 15, you're looking at a seriously dry air mass. In your house, unless you got a fancy HVAC that humidifies the air, there isn't much moisture in that air, either (in fact, it might even be 'drier' inside)

Now, the opposite.... going from a dry, cool, air conditioned room into an unholy hot and humid outside... THAT can cause condensation issues.

I'd be more careful because of the temp change. You got a lot of delicate parts in that phone, parts made of materials the can expand and contract. If tab A heats up really fast, it might break slot B. My advice is to bring it inside and let it sit on the counter for an hour or so to let it warm slowly.