I have always used MX Player to play 720p or 1080p videos on my Samsung phones. (Note 2, Note 3, Note 4, and now Note 5)

It never occurred to me to use the stock Samsung video player app. Until today. I was stuck at an airport and had a lot of time to kill. I opened the stock Samsung video payer app and played the same videos that I've played using MX Player.

Boy, was I surprised when it became immediately apparent that the Samsung video player app had a MUCH sharper picture than MX Player. The colors were also more vibrant and seem to pop out nicely I tried it with a couple dozen different videos, from low quality 480p all the way to 1080p with high video bitrate.

Guess I'm ditching MX Player now... but I'm just wondering why there is such a dramatic difference in video sharpness?
    fantom305 likes this.
    01-21-2016 11:27 AM
    Just a random guess but maybe the stock app is doing hardware decoding whereas mx is doing software?
    01-23-2016 10:52 AM
    Just a random guess but maybe the stock app is doing hardware decoding whereas mx is doing software?
    I've tried all three decoder settings on the MX Player app. (HW, HW+, SW) They are all not as sharp as Samsung's own video app. I guess since it's a Samsung phone, Samsung must know a couple of tricks to make the videos look sharper? (whereas the MX Player has to cater to dozens, if not hundreds, of Android phones)
    01-23-2016 02:20 PM
    I have always used MX Player to play 720p or 1080p videos on my Samsung phones. (Note 2, Note 3, Note 4, and now Note 5)

It never occurred to me to use the stock Samsung video player app. Until today. I was stuck at an airport and had a lot of time to kill. I opened the stock Samsung video payer app and played the same videos that I've played using MX Player.

Boy, was I surprised when it became immediately apparent that the Samsung video player app had a MUCH sharper picture than MX Player. The colors were also more vibrant and seem to pop out nicely I tried it with a couple dozen different videos, from low quality 480p all the way to 1080p with high video bitrate.

Guess I'm ditching MX Player now... but I'm just wondering why there is such a dramatic difference in video sharpness?
    I would imagine that the Samsung Video player is more optimized to work on the phone maybe?
    01-25-2016 07:11 AM