Is there a compass app on tge Galaxy Note 5?

MB2

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Is there a compass app on galaxy note 5?

Is there a stock compass app on the galaxy note 5? I would think there would be (just like the calculator, clock, etc.), but either I somehow deleted it, hid it, or something. It isn't something I use often, but ...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is there a compass app on galaxy note 5?

No, but GPS Status & Toolbox will give you GPS readings and a compass. (You'll probably find that the compass is miscalibrated every time you go to use it - that's how electronic compasses work when they're subjected to all sorts of varying magnetic fields. Run the app, rotate the phone 3 times in each axis and the compass should be within a couple of degrees if you're not near any large metal. [It won't be accurate in or next to a car or truck, a metal shed, etc.])

lmb02

May 20, 2014
Visit site

I use GPS Essentials and it provides a compass plus you can have 8 different pieces of information displayed in real time, such as altitude, bearing, speed, local sunrise/set, local moonrise/set, lat/long, etc. Does a lot more, but that gives you a start.

Nsh222

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site

It is sad that we don't have a compass app.
However S6 Edge and Edge + will be getting a compass edge screen in Marshmallow. Really cool. I wish we had a native one.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• getfile-6.jpg
    getfile-6.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 91

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I really believe that the reason native compass apps are not included in either stock Android or custom skins (manufacturer and/or carrier) is because - as noted above by Rukbat - they are inherently inaccurate until "calibrated", they need to be re-calibrated with nearly every use, and because the average user understands none of this and generates a lot of negative feedback and/or support requests to replace "bad" hardware.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Yet google maps relies on native compass for navigation without destination (push icon once to show your location on map twice to supposedly rotate map to show direction straight ahead). Of course since compass doesn't work the function doesn't work. Google refuses to use gps to determine direction of movement unless you put in a destination and go into navigation mode.

MB2

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. I'll pick up a compass app in the Playstore, and maybe we'll get a native one soon. In transitioning from Blackberry to the Galaxy Note 5, I'm still learning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781