This seems like it has been a major topic in the past but I couldn't find any recent info on this.

I have a Note 5 with Android 5.1.1

This system by default doesn't light up the screen OR show a message preview when a new text comes in.
    If my phone is asleep I want the screen to come on AND the name of the sender and message content to show on my lock screen (greedy I know).

I have yet to find a setting or an app that will perform this exact function. If at all possible, I would like to use the default message app on the phone.

The person that provides a solution gets one million Stanley Nickels.

EDIT: It's a Verizon phone.
    01-27-2016 12:37 PM
    That's odd. The stock messaging app (unless modified by your carrier if you have a carrier-branded version) does exactly that. I know because that's the first thing I do with Samsung phones: Change the stock messaging app because I DON'T want the screen to light up with a new text; I've got the notification LED for that, thank you very much.

Anyway, just make sure that a few things are 'in order'.
    1) Your stock messaging app is set as the default app for texting and that notifications are enabled.
    2) Go to your Settings, Lockscreen and Security, and make sure that in the Notifications section you select SHOW CONTENT and that the stock messaging app isn't disabled in the list.
    3) If you have any Device Administrators that are controlling your phone's security settings, the above might not be possible to change or changes might not take effect. For example, some corporate e-mail accounts enforce strict lockscreen security (no content shown, fingerprint or password lockscreen, etc.) and cannot be disabled unless you remove the account from your phone.
    01-27-2016 12:44 PM
    The message app I am using is Message+. That's the normal one right?

I did what you said, but it still does not show message content it just says, the contact name, and then "1 unread messages." I don't have any administrative constraints.

It also does not turn on the screen, so I can just glance at my phone.
    01-27-2016 01:10 PM

I did what you said, but it still does not show message content it just says, the contact name, and then "1 unread messages." I don't have any administrative constraints.

Open messaging+, press hamburger menu at the top left, open settings, place check mark on Enable popup and Enable popup over lockscreen. That should do it.
    01-27-2016 07:03 PM
    Open messaging+, press hamburger menu at the top left, open settings, place check mark on Enable popup and Enable popup over lockscreen. That should do it.
    Will that light up the screen when sleeping though? Or will that just make it 'pop up' at the top while the screen is on?
    01-28-2016 12:37 PM

OK, problem is you're not using the 'stock' messaging app. Verizon modifies their version to add their advanced messaging features (like getting texts via WiFi or being able to text from a tablet/computer). Not sure if your phone has the stock app or if Verizon replaced it with their own.

I know there are 3rd party apps that do light up the screen, but can't think of any that did it off the top of my head. I've tried ChompSMS, MightyText's SMS app, Google's Messenger and Hangouts (I know these last two DON'T do that) and a couple others I can't remember the name of
    01-28-2016 12:39 PM
    There's a "Preview message" option in Messages settings\Notification. The description for "Preview message" indicates that lock screen is one place that a message preview shows up.
    01-29-2016 06:13 AM
    Try the Lite Flow app , it has the features your looking for plus personalized notification light colors
    01-29-2016 10:40 AM
    Hub1 provided a pretty good solution. It makes its own special alert, and doesn't show my other notifications, but it does light up the screen, and show message content.
    So Hub1 just send me your bank account number and routing number and I will transfer you your 1 million Stanley Nickels. Or we could use Venmo.

Thanks vel7wil for the tip on the app, I might check that out.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    01-29-2016 01:08 PM
    Will that light up the screen when sleeping though? Or will that just make it 'pop up' at the top while the screen is on?
    Yes it will. It shows the sender and the text being sent and you can type a response without unlocking the phone or you can press "view conversation", then unlock the phone right into the app. The popup appears on a black screen.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    01-29-2016 02:08 PM
    Hub1 provided a pretty good solution. It makes its own special alert, and doesn't show my other notifications, but it does light up the screen, and show message content.
    So Hub1 just send me your bank account number and routing number and I will transfer you your 1 million Stanley Nickels. Or we could use Venmo.

Thanks vel7wil for the tip on the app, I might check that out.
    It's on its way....☺
    01-29-2016 02:09 PM
    Nice! Well, that's of course a feature found only on Messaging+, which is a Verizon-only app

I still prefer my phone's screen off if I have the LED to blink (and the thing is bright, I usually notice it at night on my bedside table...but not as bright as the stupidly blinding blue glow from the wireless Samsung charger).
    01-29-2016 02:21 PM
    Nice! Well, that's of course a feature found only on Messaging+, which is a Verizon-only app

I still prefer my phone's screen off if I have the LED to blink (and the thing is bright, I usually notice it at night on my bedside table...but not as bright as the stupidly blinding blue glow from the wireless Samsung charger).
    Even though it's made by Verizon it can be installed on any android phone on any carrier.
    01-29-2016 02:29 PM
    But it will only work for your Verizon number, won't it?
    01-29-2016 02:33 PM
    But it will only work for your Verizon number, won't it?
    Nope, it'll work on any number....
    01-29-2016 03:54 PM
    Huh... nice! Thanks for the tip then!
    01-29-2016 04:00 PM
    No prob, glad to help
    01-29-2016 04:02 PM
    I need helps
    12-25-2016 10:16 PM