I'm used to iPhones, and every time I got a text message on my iPhone, the notification would appear on my sleeping screen without me having to press a button. But now, I hear a vibration & look at my Note 5 screen but it's just black with no visual indication of a notification. Until I press the home button & then I can see up to two notifications - but only AFTER I press the button.
    I have Android Version 5.1.1 (checked for system updates, but none are available), phone is Verizon Wireless
    I have gone to Settings > Lock Screen & Security > Notifications > Notifications on Lock Screen set to "show notifications"
    The menu item right under that says "Show Notifications From" and I show "all apps".
    A friend of mine has this identical phone, and when I text her and her phone is in sleep mode, the text visually shows up on the screen.
    01-27-2016 06:36 PM
    I'm used to iPhones, and every time I got a text message on my iPhone, the notification would appear on my sleeping screen without me having to press a button. But now, I hear a vibration & look at my Note 5 screen but it's just black with no visual indication of a notification. Until I press the home button & then I can see up to two notifications - but only AFTER I press the button.
    I have Android Version 5.1.1 (checked for system updates, but none are available), phone is Verizon Wireless
    I have gone to Settings > Lock Screen & Security > Notifications > Notifications on Lock Screen set to "show notifications"
    The menu item right under that says "Show Notifications From" and I show "all apps".
    A friend of mine has this identical phone, and when I text her and her phone is in sleep mode, the text visually shows up on the screen.
    Welcome to Android Central!

Your friend probably has the text message pop up window turned on. You can go in to your messaging app, go to settings, and there should be an option to turn on pop up window. You can also look in to an app called Dynamic Notifications. I use that on all my phones, it brings up the notifications every 1 minute on the screen but in black and white.
    02-02-2016 07:11 AM