02-22-2016 11:36 PM
121 12345
tools
    I know this isn't long enough for a true review, but my wife and I have had ours for 2 weeks. I did as much research as I dared to do, without getting overwhelmed with information, and settled on the Note 5. Coming from BlackBerry... it's a huge change! However, we have enjoyed our experience with the phone. To supplement any need for storage, I've gotten around 80gb of cloud storage for free. I can add more easily if needed. MEGA offers a lot and you can add more with more accounts. It's not too hard. As for the battery, it doesn't last as long as I would expect, but I'm not a heavy user. I might be considered a medium user, if that's a proper term (ask my friends!). I plug it back in at night and run with it. I've gotten a few apps I wanted that weren't available on BlackBerry and a few BlackBerry apps I was missing, i.e., BlackBerry Virtual Keyboard. Say what you will about BlackBerry but they have the best keyboards, both pkb and vkb. Just need the Hub to install and I'm golden! The pen is great! I don't use it as much as I should for taking notes on the fly, but I'll remember to do it, eventually. The screen is awesome! Great colors and seems to be accurate, if you care. The processor is a beast! I've had a little lag when pushing it with too many screens open and trying to get too many functions going at the same time. I lag when I do that too. I haven't had any issues with the fingerprint sensor. I think it's how you set it and how you remembered you set it. If it's off, it won't do it. My wife doesn't like hers because she can't get it to work. I'd reset it and try again with either more movement when it's sensing or less. The external speaker is a bit weak, but I don't use it for much. I have a speaker I can plug into it for that. I use Google Now as my launcher. I like it. I use Drupe for my phone app. I like it because you can drag and do what you need to do. Similar to BlackBerry actions. That's about it for my impromptu mini review of the Note 5. Hope this helps the OP decision on getting the phone.
    koves likes this.
    02-10-2016 04:30 AM
    On 4th Feb, I bought the Note 5, AGAIN! So, err, yeah, do it...
    02-10-2016 07:06 AM
    I like straight simple solutions. I find weaving through a maze or how-to's and what ifs stressful. I have had problems with VZW in the past that had my stomach in knots. I won't go through anything like that again. If they simply lower price I'm in. If I have to finagle the bagel I'll pass. That may make me a sucker. Anyway I won't do it. I don't want to join Samsung Pay nor switch phones and plans nor wait for rebates nor anything else out of the ordinary.
    Then the lowest it has been with using just s simple coupon would be just shy of $500. It has been this price a few times since release.
    02-10-2016 07:56 AM
    wow. It would be great if someone quotes this next time it happens or pm me. Keep in mind i have udp at vzw so must pay full price. no discount for new line and no sammy pay for me
    02-10-2016 08:09 AM
    wow. It would be great if someone quotes this next time it happens or pm me. Keep in mind i have udp at vzw so must pay full price. no discount for new line and no sammy pay for me
    I have the Note 5 and SPay is available for it. Just gotta download the app unless you're saying your bank doesn't participate?
    02-10-2016 10:19 AM
    It's too bad Samsung fails to discount full price note 5. I have vzw unlimited data and plan to keep it so I have to pay full price. Thing is full price should be less as a phone ages. When you buy a used phone or a used car you are buying someone else's problem. I want full warranty.
    The demand is still there at the current price point (and there's no Note 6 yet).
    02-10-2016 10:28 AM
    Waiting for theh Note 6 myself. My Note 4 works for me just fine for now, other than a crappy battery.
    02-10-2016 11:18 AM
    OK.... I'll add this.... this is a game played with EVERYTHING... from phones, to computers, to cars. If you wait, there will ALWAYS be a replacement looming on the horizon, one that is better, faster, etc... you name it. It would be different if the Note 6 was right around the corner, but its not. It is a good 5 or 6 months away. And even then, once the Note 6 is released, the Note 5 should have a pretty big drop in price, adding a whole new element to the equation.

I would say this... if you want a new phone, and want it now, and want a Note... get the Note 5. If you have no issues waiting until October (more or less), wait for the Note 6.
    While this is true, there is an advantage to waiting for the optimum moment to buy.
    recDNA likes this.
    02-10-2016 11:22 AM
    Waiting for theh Note 6 myself. My Note 4 works for me just fine for now, other than a crappy battery.
    Went on amazon and bought a pair of replacements with a wall charger (Anker) for a reasonable price and now rarely use my original samsung battery. Check it out. Love my note 4 so I'd go for a note 5 though i think they screwed up going apple style and losing bat and memory with glass back.
    I normally drool over the latest and greatest but in the year and a half I've only been interested in LG V10 enough to go to the store and hold one. The Notes are 2 year phones not 6 month phones
    02-10-2016 12:15 PM
    While this is true, there is an advantage to waiting for the optimum moment to buy.
    Yeah exactly like for me I've been debating on moving back to Android from my iPhone and since Samsung recently had the test drive promotion seemed like the best way for me to see how I like it and I'm loving this note 5 just not all the way sure if I should make the change
    02-10-2016 12:30 PM
    I dont have the Note 5. I had the option for picking one up, but the lack of an SD card slot turned me off completely. The Note 4 is great if you're not a power user. Despite what's been said. The Note 4 is in fact an amazing device if you're a casual smartphone user. On the other hand, using the device for work on a frequent basis throughout the day, the phone will end up lagging quite a bit after a few months. I restart my device at least once a day due to freezes and lag. It's only been since about October that I've had the Note 4. I've had the 6 plus and the Note 3 before that. Just make sure you don't download tooooo many apps and you'll be fine. I'll be waiting for the note 6 if it carries am SD slot and a much faster processor.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-10-2016 12:52 PM
    Thanks everyone for the great conversation. I think I am going to pick one up this weekend.
    Liskrig likes this.
    02-10-2016 01:14 PM
    I am seriously loving my Note 5. I've had it for just about a week now and the battery life has really improved over the past few days.

I thought that the lack of SD card and removable battery would be something I missed but I don't even think about it. I got the 64GB gold Note 5. This IS an amazing phone. My Note 5 is my main phone now even though I bought an iPhone 6S and a 6S+ in December. Nothing beats this phone.
    02-10-2016 01:38 PM
    The GS7 edge+ will be out before the note 6 so i may go for that. No way i pay full price for 6 month old phone
    02-10-2016 02:13 PM
    I have a 6s plus and a Note 5, I owned the Note 4,and even though the SD card was there and replaceable battery I still sold the device because battery wasn't the best, nice all around phone. Now the Note 5 is great even without the ad card and replaceable battery. I just purchased the 64 gb model. I really don't think it matters to much either device, if you have to many apps installed the device is going to lag.
    jnew619 likes this.
    02-10-2016 02:32 PM
    Yesterday I also purchased the S2 gear 3G so I'm going to compared the two devices being I also own a Apple Watch.
    02-10-2016 02:33 PM
    Had it, really liked it. Got stolen and got a nexus 6p now. Samsung needs to improve their updates with carriers . I feel spoiled now with a nexus device

02-10-2016 02:48 PM
    Its a beast. Go for it.
    02-10-2016 03:11 PM
    Great fit just about everything. Good going Samsung.
    02-10-2016 03:27 PM
    I dont have the Note 5. I had the option for picking one up, but the lack of an SD card slot turned me off completely. The Note 4 is great if you're not a power user. Despite what's been said. The Note 4 is in fact an amazing device if you're a casual smartphone user. On the other hand, using the device for work on a frequent basis throughout the day, the phone will end up lagging quite a bit after a few months. I restart my device at least once a day due to freezes and lag. It's only been since about October that I've had the Note 4. I've had the 6 plus and the Note 3 before that. Just make sure you don't download tooooo many apps and you'll be fine. I'll be waiting for the note 6 if it carries am SD slot and a much faster processor.
    The lack of storage space was a deal-breaker for me, but not as much as Knox. This keeps me from even considering any Samsung phones in the future. It's a shame, as they can make a pretty decent device.
    02-10-2016 03:43 PM
    Yes, I think it is, I love mine and still don't see anything that beats it yet. at least not for my needs.
    02-10-2016 03:50 PM
    Does any one know how the gear s2 is with the note 5? I was thinking about getting one.
    02-10-2016 03:51 PM
    I am seriously loving my Note 5. I've had it for just about a week now and the battery life has really improved over the past few days.

I thought that the lack of SD card and removable battery would be something I missed but I don't even think about it. I got the 64GB gold Note 5. This IS an amazing phone. My Note 5 is my main phone now even though I bought an iPhone 6S and a 6S+ in December. Nothing beats this phone.
    How are you enjoying it compared to your iPhone? I have a 6 plus and using the Samsung ultimate test drive promotion and think I might make the switch
    02-10-2016 06:42 PM
    The Gear S2 works perfectly fine with the Note 5. I have that setup.
    02-10-2016 07:06 PM
    So no sprint store carries the 64 gb Note 5, I'd have to order it. Might just get the 32 so I don't have to wait.

02-10-2016 08:28 PM
121 12345