WiFi Disconnecting When Using Google Apps

waazzupppp

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Minor issue / question to those with a Verizon variant... In the last two weeks, my Note has dropped wifi while using both Google Play Music and Google Remote Desktop. It racked up 250MB in downloads on Music and 125MB on a session of Chrome Remote. It didn't give me a notification that wifi had disconnected. It didn't warn me or even stutter a bit.

I have disabled "smart wifi" since day one, and have only had this happen twice since December. It's nothing that is regularly happening, but I hate using such a big chunk of data in 10 minutes of use. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Disabling "Smart WiFi" was the first thought that came to mind. I haven't used either Google app, but am on Verizon. Good to know this is a potential issue.

imaposer

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine might be doing this too. This is my second month with it. I figured the first month would be data heavy as I played with the new phone, but expected it to go back to normal by now. I checked my data usage yesterday and saw I used more than my typical months worth of data in 11 days. I started looking in to it, and here's what I discovered. On my old phone(note2) my monthly data usage on the device was almost evenly split on everything I use all the time (games, facebook, dolphin). On my note 5, that holds true for the games and facebook, but is running 100-1 cellular data to wifi for dolphin. I never get a notification it is switching from wifi to cell, but obviously, it must be doing it all the time.
I did not know of the smart wifi function, so I just looked for it, and it was set to off already. I need to figure out how to stop it. On my note 2, the mobile data button was right next to the wifi button. I could turn it off and on easily if I needed to, but never did. On the note 5, it's about three screens further to go every time. What a PITA.

waazzupppp

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
2016-02-11 00.15.05.jpg

I set up the "Mobile Data" short cut on my quick access menus just for this situation. I actually went around yesterday and found out that I had so much coverage with Xfinity Wi-Fi that I don't know that I would miss having Mobile Data at all... Yesterday we were out and about for the evening and I had coverage in town, didn't have it on the highway (but could have turned on MD if I needed it), then had it at the restaurant and walking around Snohomish. I also had it shopping at Target last night via their free in-store Wi-Fi.

I do want to find out why this thing is hauling off and downloading stuff when I don't ask it to, but for now, avoiding a 100MB mystery download is more important to my overage fees that doing a bit more homework on it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1