03-31-2016 03:52 PM
100 1234
tools
    That's funny because rewind a few years, iOS would bash Android users because of "lag", now it seems Apple is the laggy one despite "superior" hardware. You can't even scroll in the Music App in iOS without frame drops...

Anywho, which phone gives you better battery? So far my iPhone 6 is winning in that department.
    Pretty much every time I unlock it it takes a second or so before you can interact with anything on the screen. And sometimes you can even see the apps and how it's supposed to zoom in completely freeze for a second. It's more lag than I've had with any Android phones recently.

Battery on my 6s Plus is insane. I'll give it that.
    02-28-2016 05:15 PM
    What are you seeing? I definitely see some stuff with lag when unlocking.

Haven't been able to shake the Android bug yet.
    On Android again?
    02-28-2016 05:18 PM
    On Android again?
    No. Not yet. Still on the 6s Plus exclusively. But debating pretty hard about a return. Either S7/S7 edge or Nexus 6P...if I make a return.
    ibcop likes this.
    02-28-2016 05:19 PM
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having this dilemma. I've always had Android phones but with the lack of SD and removable battery, I thought I'd try the iPhone 6s Plus. It definitely has its attributes but I do miss Android's customization features. If I could afford it, I'd own both. I have until Wednesday to decide I'm leaning toward the Note but all the talk about fragile and broken styluses has me concerned.
    02-28-2016 06:44 PM
    What are you seeing? I definitely see some stuff with lag when unlocking.

Haven't been able to shake the Android bug yet.
    I see some bugs in the message app. Sometimes it looks like the formatting is off and there is a strange thing that happens sometimes that there are message threads that are created but they are blank with no contact person. But they are there. I just delete them. But they come back sometimes and I have no idea what creates them. I also notice that when I have folders in the dock, when the screen rotates, the folders flicker.
    03-06-2016 08:55 PM
    No. Not yet. Still on the 6s Plus exclusively. But debating pretty hard about a return. Either S7/S7 edge or Nexus 6P...if I make a return.
    What is intriguing you about the new S7?
    03-06-2016 11:37 PM
    What is intriguing you about the new S7?
    Geez, everything. I preordered one. I'm so bored with iOS. It just isn't for me. I need more from my phone. And the camera on that thing is insane.
    03-07-2016 06:43 AM
    Geez, everything. I preordered one. I'm so bored with iOS. It just isn't for me. I need more from my phone. And the camera on that thing is insane.
    You are really that unhappy with your iPhone? I do think that the S7 looks like a good handset, but I don't really see anything that's different that would make changing worth it. Well, good luck with it. Looking forward to your assessment of it.
    03-07-2016 06:47 AM
    You are really that unhappy with your iPhone? I do think that the S7 looks like a good handset, but I don't really see anything that's different that would make changing worth it. Well, good luck with it. Looking forward to your assessment of it.
    If Android didn't exist, I'd be perfectly happy with my iPhone. But I just want a phone to do more. I feel like I'm trapped in with an iPhone. What Android phones can do these days is incredible. It'll be years before iPhones are in the same boat. I'll miss iMessage and quick updates. But other than that, I'm good. I feel like my iPhone is a dumb smartphone. It's a great phone, but the OS is what limits it.
    Carlo Villa and BergerKing like this.
    03-07-2016 06:50 AM
    If Android didn't exist, I'd be perfectly happy with my iPhone. But I just want a phone to do more. I feel like I'm trapped in with an iPhone. What Android phones can do these days is incredible. It'll be years before iPhones are in the same boat. I'll miss iMessage and quick updates. But other than that, I'm good. I feel like my iPhone is a dumb smartphone. It's a great phone, but the OS is what limits it.
    I can understand your frustration with the limited nature of your iPhone. I used to feel that way as well. However, I feel like either I don't do as much with my device as I used to or iOS has just advanced so much that it meets my needs and then some. After about 3 months with my iPhone, I have just begun to utilize most of the new features from the newest model. And I'm starting to appreciate the intuitiveness of those features. Sure, there are a ton of features that I miss from Android, more spicifically my Note 5. But ios and the iPhone have come a long way.
    tsparks1 likes this.
    03-07-2016 06:58 AM
    I can understand your frustration with the limited nature of your iPhone. I used to feel that way as well. However, I feel like either I don't do as much with my device as I used to or iOS has just advanced so much that it meets my needs and then some. After about 3 months with my iPhone, I have just begun to utilize most of the new features from the newest model. And I'm starting to appreciate the intuitiveness of those features. Sure, there are a ton of features that I miss from Android, more spicifically my Note 5. But ios and the iPhone have come a long way.
    I agree they have. And I don't really even tinker. Once I set up my phone, it's pretty much set. But I get tired of not setting a default browser. Of not having widgets (the Notification Center widget thing is a joke - might as well open the app). Of not being able to put icons where I want and hide ones I don't use other than in a junk folder. Screen is old tech at this point. Their great camera from last fall was already beaten by the Samsung camera from last spring - now it's even further behind. There are some other things that I'm missing, but you get my point. I'm also invested in Google, and nothing Apple. And I don't intend on really getting into the ecosystem. Therefore, Android makes more sense.
    BergerKing and flybub like this.
    03-07-2016 07:13 AM
    I agree they have. And I don't really even tinker. Once I set up my phone, it's pretty much set. But I get tired of not setting a default browser. Of not having widgets (the Notification Center widget thing is a joke - might as well open the app). Of not being able to put icons where I want and hide ones I don't use other than in a junk folder. Screen is old tech at this point. Their great camera from last fall was already beaten by the Samsung camera from last spring - now it's even further behind. There are some other things that I'm missing, but you get my point. I'm also invested in Google, and nothing Apple. And I don't intend on really getting into the ecosystem. Therefore, Android makes more sense.
    Being invested in the Google ecosystem is huge. That's where Android really sets itself apart from iOS. I know that all the Google services are available on iOS, but it doesn't work quite the same. So I really agree with you there.I actually like the widget system in iOS better. But, that's where I see some bugs that need to ironed out. Funny thing is that I haven't seen too many bugs on my Note 5 at all. That's very different from my history of Samsung and Apple devices.
    BergerKing and flybub like this.
    03-07-2016 07:20 AM
    Being invested in the Google ecosystem is huge. That's where Android really sets itself apart from iOS. I know that all the Google services are available on iOS, but it doesn't work quite the same. So I really agree with you there.I actually like the widget system in iOS better. But, that's where I see some bugs that need to ironed out. Funny thing is that I haven't seen too many bugs on my Note 5 at all. That's very different from my history of Samsung and Apple devices.
    I also see tons of lag opening and unlocking my phone. Constantly. It isn't the end of the world. But I haven't seen it with any of the top of the line Android phones lately. The phone is unusable for a couple of seconds after unlocking. It isn't every time. But it's more often than it should be.
    03-07-2016 07:30 AM
    I also see tons of lag opening and unlocking my phone. Constantly. It isn't the end of the world. But I haven't seen it with any of the top of the line Android phones lately. The phone is unusable for a couple of seconds after unlocking. It isn't every time. But it's more often than it should be.
    Now that is something I haven't seen. I really don't see lag at all. Actually when I do a very unscientific speed test comparison between my iPhone 6S Plus and Note 5 the iPhone wins just about every time. But I will say that I'm impressed with Samsung's software. The phone does not lag like they used to in previous years. But over time I did notice that the keyboard on my Note 5 would hang for a few seconds. Never had this on my iPhone.
    03-07-2016 07:33 AM
    I felt the exact same way when I got rid of my 6s+, now it's like the tables have turned and ios isn't the smoothest and fastest anymore, plus it's seems like I had to take too many steps to complete a task.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Lefty724 likes this.
    03-07-2016 08:14 AM
    I felt the exact same way when I got rid of my 6s+, now it's like the tables have turned and ios isn't the smoothest and fastest anymore, plus it's seems like I had to take too many steps to complete a task.

It's funny that you say that because I was just thinking the opposite. One of the things that I had tested was how many steps would it take me to accomplish certain tasks. My results weren't what I was expecting. In some situations it took me half as many steps to accomplish a take with my iPhone versus with my Note 5. For example, creating a check list with S-note and one with the Apple notes app. 8 steps with s-note; 4 with Apple notes. And you would think that the Note 5 would be superior in this take. But no, it wasn't. And the finished product was a lot more refined on the iOS side. Also, I'm faster thumb typing than I am writing on the screen using the s-pen; and more accurate too. 3D Touch has incorporated a lot of features that the s-pen has. And I know I continue to harp on this one feature, but it really changes the game. Spotlight search offsets a lot of the advantages Android had over iOS. I don't care any longer about arranging my icons on the screen. I spotlight search every app, all content including multimedia and notes. If I want a phone number-spotlight search. Want to see Game of Thrones - spotlight search. Listen to Selena Gomez - spotlight search. Addresses, content in text messages, calendar events, YouTube videos, looking for apps, podcasts, everything! Spotlight search. Just a swipe downward on the screen and I can find any and everything.
    flybub likes this.
    03-07-2016 08:25 AM
    It's funny that you say that because I was just thinking the opposite. One of the things that I had tested was how many steps would it take me to accomplish certain tasks. My results weren't what I was expecting. In some situations it took me half as many steps to accomplish a take with my iPhone versus with my Note 5. For example, creating a check list with S-note and one with the Apple notes app. 8 steps with s-note; 4 with Apple notes. And you would think that the Note 5 would be superior in this take. But no, it wasn't. And the finished product was a lot more refined on the iOS side. Also, I'm faster thumb typing than I am writing on the screen using the s-pen; and more accurate too. 3D Touch has incorporated a lot of features that the s-pen has. And I know I continue to harp on this one feature, but it really changes the game. Spotlight search offsets a lot of the advantages Android had over iOS. I don't care any longer about arranging my icons on the screen. I spotlight search every app, all content including multimedia and notes. If I want a phone number-spotlight search. Want to see Game of Thrones - spotlight search. Listen to Selena Gomez - spotlight search. Addresses, content in text messages, calendar events, YouTube videos, looking for apps, podcasts, everything! Spotlight search. Just a swipe downward on the screen and I can find any and everything.
    Sounds like you found the phone for you

03-07-2016 08:41 AM
    Sounds like you found the phone for you

For now. The reality is that smartphone manufacturers are competitive. This may be the situation for me currently. But the next Note could change the game. It's what always happens. Samsung may have a spotlight search equivalent. They may revamp their notes app. Then it's back to square one. Happens every year.
    03-07-2016 08:50 AM
    I use both the 6s Plus and the Note 5. I just had a thought on the creating a list in the notes app for each device. I agree the Notes app in iOS has come a long way. It works great now. However on android I would use Google Keep. I have a widget on my screen with an add button. I touch it and select the type of note I want to add and I'm there. That's two steps. In iOS with 3D touch I can do it in two steps as well. Two different ways to accomplish the same task but both get it done quickly.

Both iOS and Android have come so far and are both great to use. It just comes down to ecosystem I believe.

I am very invested in Google. My main issue is that my whole family and most of my friends have iPhone. However with my kids using Google for everything at school they are seeing how nice it all works together. It's been an eye opener for them. All they have ever heard is apple this and apple that. Lol.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-07-2016 09:16 AM
    I was really impressed with S7, while I was trying out the iPhone 6s Plus. I feel the same way, from the screen and the camera to basic features, like notifications that you can see without unlocking the phone, I feel the same way about iOS. iOS is very boring. I used to pick up my phone all the time with my android but when I was trying out the iPhone, I just had no desire. After about 10 minutes of playing around with it, there was nothing left to do. I really wanted to hold out for the Note 6, though.
    03-07-2016 10:24 AM
    I use both the 6s Plus and the Note 5. I just had a thought on the creating a list in the notes app for each device. I agree the Notes app in iOS has come a long way. It works great now. However on android I would use Google Keep. I have a widget on my screen with an add button. I touch it and select the type of note I want to add and I'm there. That's two steps. In iOS with 3D touch I can do it in two steps as well. Two different ways to accomplish the same task but both get it done quickly.

Both iOS and Android have come so far and are both great to use. It just comes down to ecosystem I believe.

I am very invested in Google. My main issue is that my whole family and most of my friends have iPhone. However with my kids using Google for everything at school they are seeing how nice it all works together. It's been an eye opener for them. All they have ever heard is apple this and apple that. Lol.
    Forgot about Google Keep. Yes that would be a great alternative.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-07-2016 11:38 AM
    I was really impressed with S7, while I was trying out the iPhone 6s Plus. I feel the same way, from the screen and the camera to basic features, like notifications that you can see without unlocking the phone, I feel the same way about iOS. iOS is very boring. I used to pick up my phone all the time with my android but when I was trying out the iPhone, I just had no desire. After about 10 minutes of playing around with it, there was nothing left to do. I really wanted to hold out for the Note 6, though.
    Boring indeed. My issue with ios is you can't download anything from the Internet, and one still has to use iTunes to transfer content from computer to phone. I can't deal with that.

BergerKing likes this.
    03-07-2016 01:08 PM
    The nice thing about discussions like these is that sometimes, you learn a completely different approach to something that has perhaps bothered you, or turns on a light to other paths. With me, I'm incapable of this thing called boredom, so I'm not always tasked to decide between different ecosystems. When I left BlackBerry 4 years ago, it was the choice of iPhone and Android, which was Gingerbread, at the time

After a couple of runs with my daughter's iPhone, I tried Android, and it became my go-to. Is it perfect? No cell phone truly is. There are trade-offs no matter what choice you make. It takes time to adapt, but if you change about all the time, it frequently comes down to which weaknesses you can live with, or which annoys you less.

Android has done everything I've asked of it, everything I've demanded, and some things I never expected. Love my Note 5, but if 6 comes packed the way I'm expecting, it'll be another welcome upgrade. I love the fact I'm on the annual upgrade track, and am not forced to wait for two.
    03-07-2016 03:58 PM
    It's good to see opinions from both sides...even better when the conversation stays civilized. Kudos guys.
    flybub and sweetypie31 like this.
    03-07-2016 04:24 PM
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't like my iPhone (6 Plus). I've been on Android since the HTC Droid Incredible, but the only Samsung phone I had was the S4. Having said that, I grabbed my 6 Plus off Swappa and I have been pleasantly surprised. I had an iPhone 4 way back when for a couple months, but I have used the 6 Plus exclusively for the last 6 months and it really has been a great experience. Sharing videos with the wife over iMessage has been awesome and being able to Facetime with my 9 yr old when she is away from home at a sleepover has also been a great experience. I won't say I'll never come back to Android because I'm sure I will at some point, but right now the iPhone checks more boxes than Android at the moment. I have been impressed with what I've seen from the S7 and Edge though. What a beautiful device. Looking forward to what the Note 6 brings.

I've enjoyed reading these posts and seeing a civil conversation. I've been following the conversations between Wildo and Doctor for awhile and its nice to see a comparison/opinion on both ecosystems both here and over at iMore. Well done guys and thanks for the insight.
    03-07-2016 06:10 PM
100 1234