Trying it one last time! Just traded 6S Plus for the Note 5

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I felt the exact same way when I got rid of my 6s+, now it's like the tables have turned and ios isn't the smoothest and fastest anymore, plus it's seems like I had to take too many steps to complete a task.

Posted via the Android Central App

It's funny that you say that because I was just thinking the opposite. One of the things that I had tested was how many steps would it take me to accomplish certain tasks. My results weren't what I was expecting. In some situations it took me half as many steps to accomplish a take with my iPhone versus with my Note 5. For example, creating a check list with S-note and one with the Apple notes app. 8 steps with s-note; 4 with Apple notes. And you would think that the Note 5 would be superior in this take. But no, it wasn't. And the finished product was a lot more refined on the iOS side. Also, I'm faster thumb typing than I am writing on the screen using the s-pen; and more accurate too. 3D Touch has incorporated a lot of features that the s-pen has. And I know I continue to harp on this one feature, but it really changes the game. Spotlight search offsets a lot of the advantages Android had over iOS. I don't care any longer about arranging my icons on the screen. I spotlight search every app, all content including multimedia and notes. If I want a phone number-spotlight search. Want to see Game of Thrones - spotlight search. Listen to Selena Gomez - spotlight search. Addresses, content in text messages, calendar events, YouTube videos, looking for apps, podcasts, everything! Spotlight search. Just a swipe downward on the screen and I can find any and everything.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
It's funny that you say that because I was just thinking the opposite. One of the things that I had tested was how many steps would it take me to accomplish certain tasks. My results weren't what I was expecting. In some situations it took me half as many steps to accomplish a take with my iPhone versus with my Note 5. For example, creating a check list with S-note and one with the Apple notes app. 8 steps with s-note; 4 with Apple notes. And you would think that the Note 5 would be superior in this take. But no, it wasn't. And the finished product was a lot more refined on the iOS side. Also, I'm faster thumb typing than I am writing on the screen using the s-pen; and more accurate too. 3D Touch has incorporated a lot of features that the s-pen has. And I know I continue to harp on this one feature, but it really changes the game. Spotlight search offsets a lot of the advantages Android had over iOS. I don't care any longer about arranging my icons on the screen. I spotlight search every app, all content including multimedia and notes. If I want a phone number-spotlight search. Want to see Game of Thrones - spotlight search. Listen to Selena Gomez - spotlight search. Addresses, content in text messages, calendar events, YouTube videos, looking for apps, podcasts, everything! Spotlight search. Just a swipe downward on the screen and I can find any and everything.

Sounds like you found the phone for you

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like you found the phone for you

For now. The reality is that smartphone manufacturers are competitive. This may be the situation for me currently. But the next Note could change the game. It's what always happens. Samsung may have a spotlight search equivalent. They may revamp their notes app. Then it's back to square one. Happens every year.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I use both the 6s Plus and the Note 5. I just had a thought on the creating a list in the notes app for each device. I agree the Notes app in iOS has come a long way. It works great now. However on android I would use Google Keep. I have a widget on my screen with an add button. I touch it and select the type of note I want to add and I'm there. That's two steps. In iOS with 3D touch I can do it in two steps as well. Two different ways to accomplish the same task but both get it done quickly.

Both iOS and Android have come so far and are both great to use. It just comes down to ecosystem I believe.

I am very invested in Google. My main issue is that my whole family and most of my friends have iPhone. However with my kids using Google for everything at school they are seeing how nice it all works together. It's been an eye opener for them. All they have ever heard is apple this and apple that. Lol.

AmyNo

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
I was really impressed with S7, while I was trying out the iPhone 6s Plus. I feel the same way, from the screen and the camera to basic features, like notifications that you can see without unlocking the phone, I feel the same way about iOS. iOS is very boring. I used to pick up my phone all the time with my android but when I was trying out the iPhone, I just had no desire. After about 10 minutes of playing around with it, there was nothing left to do. I really wanted to hold out for the Note 6, though.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I use both the 6s Plus and the Note 5. I just had a thought on the creating a list in the notes app for each device. I agree the Notes app in iOS has come a long way. It works great now. However on android I would use Google Keep. I have a widget on my screen with an add button. I touch it and select the type of note I want to add and I'm there. That's two steps. In iOS with 3D touch I can do it in two steps as well. Two different ways to accomplish the same task but both get it done quickly.

Both iOS and Android have come so far and are both great to use. It just comes down to ecosystem I believe.

I am very invested in Google. My main issue is that my whole family and most of my friends have iPhone. However with my kids using Google for everything at school they are seeing how nice it all works together. It's been an eye opener for them. All they have ever heard is apple this and apple that. Lol.

Forgot about Google Keep. Yes that would be a great alternative.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I was really impressed with S7, while I was trying out the iPhone 6s Plus. I feel the same way, from the screen and the camera to basic features, like notifications that you can see without unlocking the phone, I feel the same way about iOS. iOS is very boring. I used to pick up my phone all the time with my android but when I was trying out the iPhone, I just had no desire. After about 10 minutes of playing around with it, there was nothing left to do. I really wanted to hold out for the Note 6, though.

Boring indeed. My issue with ios is you can't download anything from the Internet, and one still has to use iTunes to transfer content from computer to phone. I can't deal with that.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
The nice thing about discussions like these is that sometimes, you learn a completely different approach to something that has perhaps bothered you, or turns on a light to other paths. With me, I'm incapable of this thing called boredom, so I'm not always tasked to decide between different ecosystems. When I left BlackBerry 4 years ago, it was the choice of iPhone and Android, which was Gingerbread, at the time

After a couple of runs with my daughter's iPhone, I tried Android, and it became my go-to. Is it perfect? No cell phone truly is. There are trade-offs no matter what choice you make. It takes time to adapt, but if you change about all the time, it frequently comes down to which weaknesses you can live with, or which annoys you less.

Android has done everything I've asked of it, everything I've demanded, and some things I never expected. Love my Note 5, but if 6 comes packed the way I'm expecting, it'll be another welcome upgrade. I love the fact I'm on the annual upgrade track, and am not forced to wait for two.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'd be lying if I said I didn't like my iPhone (6 Plus). I've been on Android since the HTC Droid Incredible, but the only Samsung phone I had was the S4. Having said that, I grabbed my 6 Plus off Swappa and I have been pleasantly surprised. I had an iPhone 4 way back when for a couple months, but I have used the 6 Plus exclusively for the last 6 months and it really has been a great experience. Sharing videos with the wife over iMessage has been awesome and being able to Facetime with my 9 yr old when she is away from home at a sleepover has also been a great experience. I won't say I'll never come back to Android because I'm sure I will at some point, but right now the iPhone checks more boxes than Android at the moment. I have been impressed with what I've seen from the S7 and Edge though. What a beautiful device. Looking forward to what the Note 6 brings.

I've enjoyed reading these posts and seeing a civil conversation. I've been following the conversations between Wildo and Doctor for awhile and its nice to see a comparison/opinion on both ecosystems both here and over at iMore. Well done guys and thanks for the insight.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I'd be lying if I said I didn't like my iPhone (6 Plus). I've been on Android since the HTC Droid Incredible, but the only Samsung phone I had was the S4. Having said that, I grabbed my 6 Plus off Swappa and I have been pleasantly surprised. I had an iPhone 4 way back when for a couple months, but I have used the 6 Plus exclusively for the last 6 months and it really has been a great experience. Sharing videos with the wife over iMessage has been awesome and being able to Facetime with my 9 yr old when she is away from home at a sleepover has also been a great experience. I won't say I'll never come back to Android because I'm sure I will at some point, but right now the iPhone checks more boxes than Android at the moment. I have been impressed with what I've seen from the S7 and Edge though. What a beautiful device. Looking forward to what the Note 6 brings.

I've enjoyed reading these posts and seeing a civil conversation. I've been following the conversations between Wildo and Doctor for awhile and its nice to see a comparison/opinion on both ecosystems both here and over at iMore. Well done guys and thanks for the insight.
I said this one time before that if Apple ever released an iPhone that had a big screen that it would be game over. But, I will say this also, if there was a Nexus that had an integrated stylus like the Note I believe that they could destroy the Note line.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Thanks! It's crazy what civil adults can do in a conversation when it's not about who's what is bigger! I like both phones honestly. I blame absolutely zero people for using an iPhone. It's solid. Does what most people want. And does it well. There are just some limitations for me that drive me crazy after using it for a bit that make me miss Android. And my wife uses Android, so we already share everything via Google Photos, so a lot of my loss of iMessage is pretty trivial. I'm pretty excited to try out the S7 edge now. But I already know that iOS may reel me back in at some point in the future. I'm a bit of a junky.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! It's crazy what civil adults can do in a conversation when it's not about who's what is bigger! I like both phones honestly. I blame absolutely zero people for using an iPhone. It's solid. Does what most people want. And does it well. There are just some limitations for me that drive me crazy after using it for a bit that make me miss Android. And my wife uses Android, so we already share everything via Google Photos, so a lot of my loss of iMessage is pretty trivial. I'm pretty excited to try out the S7 edge now. But I already know that iOS may reel me back in at some point in the future. I'm a bit of a junky.
You are right. When we are civil we actually can have intelligent conversations. And there are a lot of people who offer some great tips and advice. I've learned a lot and I try to give back when I can. As far as the addiction a lot of us share, it is what it is. I can sit here all day long and say that my iPhone is going to last until the next one is released. But the likelihood of that happening is slim to none. History tells me that I will get the itch soon.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You are right. When we are civil we actually can have intelligent conversations. And there are a lot of people who offer some great tips and advice. I've learned a lot and I try to give back when I can. As far as the addiction a lot of us share, it is what it is. I can sit here all day long and say that my iPhone is going to last until the next one is released. But the likelihood of that happening is slim to none. History tells me that I will get the itch soon.

I mean, honestly, they're just phones. Sure they're communication devices. But for most of us here, they're our adult toys. I also try to help out where I can and don't belittle people for what phone they use - that just makes no sense to me. I've received a lot of help over the years on these Mobile Nations sites. This is like my home away from home. And the struggle is definitely real. I'd be happy if I lasted more than 3 months with the edge.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I mean, honestly, they're just phones. Sure they're communication devices. But for most of us here, they're our adult toys. I also try to help out where I can and don't belittle people for what phone they use - that just makes no sense to me. I've received a lot of help over the years on these Mobile Nations sites. This is like my home away from home. And the struggle is definitely real. I'd be happy if I lasted more than 3 months with the edge.

Funny that you say that. 3 months is my tipping point. It's like the 3 month itch.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

The Whiteboard app combined with the pen shifts the advantage of note taking over to the Note 5 completely IMO. It's a widget, it's always there, you write on it. No keyboard, spelling mistakes, font sizes to think about. Just your own handwriting..... Cannot get more efficient and simple than that. One Note on the 6 Plus was a chore in comparison.

2ndHalfCor

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
The Whiteboard app combined with the pen shifts the advantage of note taking over to the Note 5 completely IMO. It's a widget, it's always there, you write on it. No keyboard, spelling mistakes, font sizes to think about. Just your own handwriting..... Cannot get more efficient and simple than that. One Note on the 6 Plus was a chore in comparison.

Which Whiteboard app? Just looked and there are a bunch of them out there.

benni abiog

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Man...what a great civilized here with lots of smart conversations as well. I hope i can chimed in some but im not that phone smart though...lol. I love the Note 5 but i cant afford it right now..so i will just wait for the Note 6 then. I do use only Samsung phones since GS3, then Note 3, now Note 4 edge....(wife still on Note 3). Im very happy with my Note 4 still, I tried to maintain it really well to make it not too lag much. Im still on Kitkat 4.4.4 and planning to stay with it. I will keep this phone for a loooong time. Works for me as a Graphic artist/editor. I also wanted to get the Iphone 6S plus but will just wait for the 7 with Amoled screen. I decided to have 2 phones this year. I will use the Iphone as a daily phone (make phone calls, and for other basic stuff)...and Note 6 for work related. (Note 4 will be then for personal portable computer use only)... I love Iphones as well because I know for a fact that its a solid phone with long lasting battery usage...my families are into Iphone only...lol. Will stay for Samsung/Google though. I learned a lot about both platform just by reading from this conversation. Thanks and kudos to all. :)