How do I stop my Note 5 from inserting email addresses from my contacts when sending text messages?

A

AC Question

How do I stop my Note 5 from inserting email addresses from my contacts when sending text messages

I have peoples emails saved to their contacts in my phone. When I send a text it is auto correcting words to contacts email addresses. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
There was a thread about this a month or two ago. No one has the answer. It's so annoying. I've actually deleted contacts just to reduce this from happening.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Happening to me too. I seem to recall it starting about a month or so ago. Quite irritating.

I know this problem did not happen with Verizon based Galaxy S3, Note 2, Note 3, or Note 4. I checked in Messages and Contacts settings and didn't see an obvious way to disable or change this unwanted behavior.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Go to the keyboard settings and turn of predictive text.

I'm afraid you are right. In my view a bit of a letdown that an option does not exist to choose whether or not emails should receive an SMS. Now that I think about it, can an email address receive an SMS text?

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I am using the stock SMS app and the only time I get an email address when inputting a name in the recipient box is if that name in the stock Contacts app has no phone number and only an email address.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I am using the stock SMS app and the only time I get an email address when inputting a name in the recipient box is if that name in the stock Contacts app has no phone number and only an email address.

Good find, I think that may be part of what I'm seeing. In my case when I input one of my family member's names into the stock Messages app, the first letter of her name will "invoke" her email address. As I mentioned above, not sure if SMS messages can be sent to an email address.

I'm considering going to SwiftKey in hopes that will work better for predictive text, and dictionary - if I don't lose any Note or S-Pen specific features that are embedded in the stock Messages app.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Good find, I think that may be part of what I'm seeing. In my case when I input one of my family member's names into the stock Messages app, the first letter of her name will "invoke" her email address. As I mentioned above, not sure if SMS messages can be sent to an email address.

I'm considering going to SwiftKey in hopes that will work better for predictive text, and dictionary - if I don't lose any Note or S-Pen specific features that are embedded in the stock Messages app.

You will get faster learning with SwiftKey but you will lose all the special features of the stock keyboard such as access to and selection of all of the clipboard snippets.
I don't believe that MMS can be sent to an email address. Though I am sure there are folks here that know about this.

farshad rouhani

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
I have peoples emails saved to their contacts in my phone. When I send a text it is auto correcting words to contacts email addresses. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Go to Google keyboard and then under setting go to auto correction and unchecked suggest names from contacts.
Hope that helps

tmccormick87

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
The way to fix this is to do a long press on the email address in the predictive text bar. Then the Samsung keyboard will ask you if you want to remove that particular email address from your dictionary. Tell it yes. It will keep happening for each email that fits your predictions, but eventually they will be removed from your personal dictionary. I love Swiftkey, and used it for years, but went back to the default keyboard on the Note 5 because it's the only way to properly use the S-pen. I would be a happy camper if Swiftkey could somehow add that functionality.