Note 5 battery life sucks - How many are having to charge their phones more than once a day?

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
something is seriously wrong with my verizon note 5 battery life after the marshmallow update. I barely used my phone in a half hour time period and it went down 30%. And that's with disabling any and all bloatware with disabler pro.

I don't know what to do, I did a factory reset when I upgraded to marshamllow. Right now I can't live with this kind of battery life for my job.

100%-30% in a half hour?

Posted via the Android Central App

wendemi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't really have any problem with my battery... But can anyone tell me what the 10250 in the battery consumption is about? First time I ever see it.

Attachments

• 1592.jpg
    1592.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 130

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't really have any problem with my battery... But can anyone tell me what the 10250 in the battery consumption is about? First time I ever see it.

That could be an App UID, or user ID. The discussions below are older, but help provide some background details on App UID. For some reason, your phone's battery stats decided to show the App UID instead of the app's name. The way I'd think of this is that the app's IP address "192.168.0.1" was shown instead of it's friendly name "www.awebsite.org". The IP address and friendly DNS name are made up for this example.

Rebooting the phone may help clear that up. An app like GSam Battery Monitor will show the App UID in App Usage\App Detail. 10256 is the App UID for Flipboard on my Note 5. There may also be apps in Google Play that can query and list all App UIDs, or if you have a Terminal app installed, then that could be used to list out the App UID as suggested in the discussions below.

How UID of an app determined during install in Android? - Stack Overflow
applications - How to know app name by UID - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

alejovh1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting almost 5 and a half hours of sot on my note 5. With most of the time streaming Netflix over lte. Really happy with this one, hope you sort out what's draining yours.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So I have one app installed on this phone and decided to take it to work with me plus I had my S7 Edge with me to use because I knew the Note 5 would not last an entire 8 hr shift.

The Note 5 was at 43% battery life left after 6 hrs. I finally had to turn it off because I knew it wouldn't last till I got home from work. Screen time usage was 47 minutes. I turned it back on when I got home late this morning. at about 1AM. Battery was at 33% before I went sleep. Woke up two hours later and it was at 15%.

This is the worst phone I have ever owned.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
How is the cell signal in your work building location? Where I normally sit the signal is fair to poor (~ 100 dBm or higher) and ranges from 1-2 bars LTE to 3G). Poor cell signal could account for rapid battery drain. Even with that, I usually get home around 6pm or so with 60% or higher (depending upon SOT and app usage), and this is with off charger at 0530.

Are you still running a custom ROM? In my experience most custom ROMs are well optimized and have little to no bloat (thus better battery life than stock), but if there is a different or tweaked kernel, or other system/UI tweaks those could impact battery life unexpectedly.

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
So I have one app installed on this phone and decided to take it to work with me plus I had my S7 Edge with me to use because I knew the Note 5 would not last an entire 8 hr shift.

The Note 5 was at 43% battery life left after 6 hrs. I finally had to turn it off because I knew it wouldn't last till I got home from work. Screen time usage was 47 minutes. I turned it back on when I got home late this morning. at about 1AM. Battery was at 33% before I went sleep. Woke up two hours later and it was at 15%.

went to bed last night and forgot to charge my note 5 which was fine since it was at 95%. Woke up and Note 5 was 90% some eight hours later. I would factory reset your phone. I had location, wifi, bluetooth, nfc, sync, all enabled. I have about 80 apps. I can drain the battery though during the day with about 4 hours screen time at full brightness. Spotify doesn't really drain the batter so much as screen on time with full brightness. I "optimize" almost every app besides 1 game and snapchat. If the battery drains like that in stand by after a factory reset, I would return it.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
went to bed last night and forgot to charge my note 5 which was fine since it was at 95%. Woke up and Note 5 was 90% some eight hours later. I would factory reset your phone. I had location, wifi, bluetooth, nfc, sync, all enabled. I have about 80 apps. I can drain the battery though during the day with about 4 hours screen time at full brightness. Spotify doesn't really drain the batter so much as screen on time with full brightness. I "optimize" almost every app besides 1 game and snapchat. If the battery drains like that in stand by after a factory reset, I would return it.
This is the factory reset. This is why I had only one app installed. I've owned it for two months now and it's been rooted so the warranty is void.

I don't think it was this bad when I got it. If I root it, my battery life is incredible but then it reboots on most phone calls making it unusable for that purpose.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So as I've said before, as long as my phone was stock, I would get poor battery life making me think the problem is not with the phone. When rooted, I could get the same or better battery life as my S7 Edge which is excellent. The problem with the root was my Note 5 would reboot during phone calls which is a common problem with some of the custom kernels out there that you need to root the phone. I found one now that says that reboot problem was fixed so I'm gonna take this phone out with me tonight and see how it goes making calls. I tried a few just now and it didn't reboot at all.

I don't mind staying rooted because it's fixing my battery problem. I was only trying to go back to stock because of the rebooting problem.

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
yeah, i realized you're experienced from all those posts on AC after I replied the first time :/. My note 5 was getting really warm and draining battery on standby really fast when I noticed I had "app optimization" turned off under battery settings. Otherwise, I wish I could fix that broken note.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

Low signal?

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
The battery life on my Note 5 is better then it was on my Note 4. I take it off the charger at 6 am and when I go to bed around 10 pm I still have around 40% left. I am a moderate to heavy user and use my phone all day long especially when I work Monday thru Friday. I disabled all the AT&T bloatware except the My AT&T app. I also disabled any apps that I have no interest in using.

Posted Via The AT&T Note 5

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Low signal?
T-Mobile has excellent service here. They are the only carrier in my area that can get me LTE at my house so T-Mobile has never been the problem.

I have two S7 Edge phones and one of my iPhones activated and they all get five bars. Never have any dropped calls.

I rooted the Note 5 again and after 11 hrs standby, the battery is at 88% and I've been texting and calling people all night. My Note 5 doesn't work well with stock firmware. I wish I knew the answer.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile has excellent service here. They are the only carrier in my area that can get me LTE at my house so T-Mobile has never been the problem.

I have two S7 Edge phones and one of my iPhones activated and they all get five bars. Never have any dropped calls.

I rooted the Note 5 again and after 11 hrs standby, the battery is at 88% and I've been texting and calling people all night. My Note 5 doesn't work well with stock firmware. I wish I knew the answer.

Holy cow, that's a lot of phones hahaha

ToddS71

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I've been getting 12 to 14 hours on time with 6 to 7 hours screen on time with mine. I've heard a lot of people complaining about the Note 5 battery, but I haven't had any issues. My wife hasn't either. Maybe we just got lucky? Makes me wonder if Samsung is making the batteries or buying them from different suppliers.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

The only logical choice is to unroot it and send it back.
Edit: oh wait, Knox right?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The only logical choice is to unroot it and send it back.
Edit: oh wait, Knox right?

Yah, knox has been tripped. My phone is rooted once again and this time I found a kernel that promised to fix the reboot during phone calls problem, So far it seems to be fixed.

My phone currently 1 day 7 hrs standby, 3 hrs 40 minutes screen time with 38% battery remaining. This is what I've been looking for. I am getting the same stats on my S7 Edge.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I've been getting 12 to 14 hours on time with 6 to 7 hours screen on time with mine. I've heard a lot of people complaining about the Note 5 battery, but I haven't had any issues. My wife hasn't either. Maybe we just got lucky? Makes me wonder if Samsung is making the batteries or buying them from different suppliers.

I think it has a lot to do with which carrier version note 5 they have. I recommend greenify, and greenify ALL the apps you don't use frequently.

Right now I have 2hrs SOT, with 5 hrs standby and 68% left. I'd say it's pretty good.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
As you know, there are so many freakin' variables that contribute to battery usage. Looks like you know what you are doing.

When I moved to MM, I did a full factory reset (always do) and then I used Package Disabler Pro to kill all bogus apps.

My N5 has extraordinary battery life. But again, lots of variables...

Good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc