Note 5 Users - Are you Tempted by the S7/S7 Edge?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I want the S7 to take to work because it's easier to use one handed. Right now, My main phones are the Note 5 and a 6S. The Note 5 made me realize just how amazing Android is again even though I was using a Note 4 and a Note Edge previously.

I'm going to wait a few months before I buy an S7. I want to hear what users on the forums have to say about it before buying. I did the same thing with the S6 and ended up not buying it last year.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The S7 only has 32GB internal storage. Not enough compared to the Note 5 with 64GB internal storage. I'm staying with the Note series regardless, and I hope that the Note 6 has an option for 64GB internal storage + SD card.

It will probably have the SD card slot but 32GB built in storage just like the S7. This is a US only thing as 64GB is available outside the US.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
The s7 models look really good and tempting, but I love my note 5 and I think I'm going to wait and see what the note 6 as well as other "big" phones from other manufacturers have to offer. History has proven every year since the note model has been in existence it's trounced it's baby brother S series in performance, display, battery life and form / function. I guess form and function is more of an opinion but the rest holds true from my personal experience and most people I've known that have had both models in a given year.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tempted by the new s7 and s7 edge.

Let's compare the Note 5 to the S7 Edge, because size is close. The battery is bigger, combined with the improved processor this should give a noticeable bump in battery life (that's not counting Doze!).

The camera will probably be better in some situations but the same in others. Aperture is not the same on the two devices. Note 5 is f/1.8 while S7 Edge is f/1.7.

Waterproofing without use of a case is an advantage.

I like the Note 5 a lot, but I don't take advantage of the stylus and I got it mostly because the S6 had pretty bad battery life. I'll probably be picking up the S7 Edge. If I actually used the stylus more I would just keep the Note 5, it's still a great phone.

All very good and valid points! It would make sense for someone who loves the edge look and or does not need or use the s-pen.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
If I didn't have the Note 5, I'd jump on the S7.

Curently, enjoying the S Pen, display, memory, processor speed and the quick charge.

No reason to jump to the S7.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would consider it. Like Kevin O'Quinn said, I got the Note 5 due to a lot of people saying the 6 had bad battery life.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I had the chance to watch some reviews for the S7. From the looks of it it's too small! Even with the 5.1 inch screen just the frame of the phone and all. Even with an Defender or Ulak Armor Knox case the S7 would probably seem small compared to my Note 5. I don't like the edge phones and the curved screen and its harder to find good protective cases for them too. The LG g5 looks really nice though and it is bigger too however my mom has a cheap LG phone similar design and its hard to get used to after using Samsung design for years. I guess I'll stick with the Note 5 until August when I assume the Note 6 comes out. Last year I bought an S6, a Note 4 and then a Note 5. I think I need to slow down.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy with the Note 5 and I use an iPhone 6s plus as well. I'll wait for the Note 6 since it will pretty much improve upon the S7 specs anyways.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy with the Note 5 and I use an iPhone 6s plus as well. I'll wait for the Note 6 since it will pretty much improve upon the S7 specs anyways.

There is no guarantee that it will improve over the S7 in any substantial way since the Note 5 didn't change SoC or camera over the S6. Industrial design was also pretty much the same with small changes.

My guess (no evidence of this) is that they will "flatten" the S7 Edge screen and make it .2" bigger, add a stylus and call it done.

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I played with the S7 and S7 Edge at BestBuy today. I was not impressed with both physical and SW aspect of it. The UI is slightly faster then my Note 5, but not enough to say wow. Apps and few other thing, I think Note 5 is still hold on its own. I can't wait to see M upgrade on the Note 5, that would be a real comparison. Will I get S7, probably not. I would get good discount S6.

sunrat39

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I preordered a s7 from Verizon. So, I heard they had demo units at best buy and I went and messed around with it.

I think I'm keeping my Note 5. Something was off about the s7. Maybe the screen size got to me? I wanted a smaller phone but then looking at the s7 it looked like a little toy.

I don't know anymore lol.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
There is no guarantee that it will improve over the S7 in any substantial way since the Note 5 didn't change SoC or camera over the S6. Industrial design was also pretty much the same with small changes.

My guess (no evidence of this) is that they will "flatten" the S7 Edge screen and make it .2" bigger, add a stylus and call it done.

Yeah I meant incremental improvements. Although the curved edges are intriguing I can't give up my Note 5 for an S7. It's bad enough that i have a 6s plus which has it drawbacks. If it weren't for the fact that I ran out and purchased an apple watch also, I'd probably have rid myself of it by now. Lol.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I meant incremental improvements. Although the curved edges are intriguing I can't give up my Note 5 for an S7. It's bad enough that i have a 6s plus which has it drawbacks. If it weren't for the fact that I ran out and purchased an apple watch also, I'd probably have rid myself of it by now. Lol.
Oh so you stuck yourself in that ecosystem.

Hectorius

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I was tempted until I saw the amount of internal storage.. But my Note 5 will do until the Note 6 comes out.

Posted via Apple 6s+ or Note 5...

Mukamooodi

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
S7 edge is looks good. If the note6 is cones with sd card option and android update may be jump otherwise stay on note5

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams