Note 5 Users - Is SD Card Important?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I think the device runs better without the sdcard. Transferring data from the internal storage to my PC or external HD is definitely faster.

I don't put any personal data in the cloud and as previously mentioned, the cloud doesn't help if you have a bad signal.
I have plenty of music on my phone, all of my pics and videos, even a few movies and I still have 23GB free.

Last edited:

Hectorius

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I personally don't need it, but the good thing about android is, choices... At least we have some.

Posted via Apple 6s+ or Note 5...

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
With the announcement by Samsung that they have are now commercially producing 256 GB SSD chips and that they will be in there future top end phones I don't want any SD cards slowing my phone down.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes I rather have more options for internal storage then have a SD card. If the Note 5 came in a 128 GB version then I would be purchasing that. I hope the Note 6 has a 128 version because I will buy that next year.

Posted Via The AT&T Note 4

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I think you are on to something here. With 32GB internal storage, the OS takes ~ 10.97, rounded up to 11GB, leaving approx 21GB for apps, media, email. I remember having to micromanage internal storage on the Note 2 (only 16GB - and not able to move apps to SD).

Not an experience I want to repeat, but if forced to I could probably micromanage storage usage and get by with 32GB. I'm not opposed to SD cards, just don't want to deal with the lag that came with external SD cards in the past. If newer external SD card and internal phone interface have advanced enough to eliminate lag, then my concerns could end up being resolved. We will see once the Note 6 is available :)
The OS actually takes up 7.5 GB on my Note 4. I have plenty of apps installed on my phone and still have 20 GB of free space. If people didn't complain about the lack of the expandable storage the S7 would have 32, 64 and 128GB versions. For the average consumer 32GB is plenty of storage especially with expandable storage.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The OS actually takes up 7.5 GB on my Note 4. I have plenty of apps installed on my phone and still have 20 GB of free space. If people didn't complain about the lack of the expandable storage the S7 would have 32, 64 and 128GB versions. For the average consumer 32GB is plenty of storage especially with expandable storage.

In one year, I've never even come close to filling up that remaining space on my 32GB Note 4/Note Edge. Both of my phones have SD cards in them so pictures are automatically saved to the card and any music or videos I have had on the phone, I placed on the card.

I still have 19.10 GB free on my Note 4.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
So you are stating that 64gb is OKAY for YOU, and you hope the Note 6 doesn't have sd support!

I don't even have to comment on your statement just letting it hang out there , people will be able to see that statement for what it is!

Yes last time I checked I'm allowed to have my own opinion. I can afford to buy a Note 6 if it comes in a 64 GB or 128GB version. If the Note 5 had a 128 GB version then I would probably be purchasing that. 64 GB is enough storage for me but I would prefer a 128GB version of the Note 6 when I purchase it next year.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes last time I checked I'm allowed to have my own opinion. I can afford to buy a Note 6 if it comes in a 64 GB or 128GB version. If the Note 5 had a 128 GB version then I would probably be purchasing that. 64 GB is enough storage for me but I would prefer a 128GB version of the Note 6 when I purchase it next year.

I have a 64GB Note 5 and for me, that will be entirely enough space to last forever.

The fact that the S7 now has an SD card slot but is only available in a 32GB version here in the US tells me that the Note 6 will be the same way, 32GB only. You ill have to use SD cards if you want more space. The Note 4/Note Edge from last year were the same 32GB capacities.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a 64GB Note 5 and for me, that will be entirely enough space to last forever.

The fact that the S7 now has an SD card slot but is only available in a 32GB version here in the US tells me that the Note 6 will be the same way, 32GB only. You ill have to use SD cards if you want more space. The Note 4/Note Edge from last year were the same 32GB capacities.

How do you like your Note 5? I'm getting mine tomorrow :)

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It's a good phone but I can't seem to get more than two hours of screen time out of it over a full day. Other than the battery, it is still the best phone that I have ever owned. There is no screen better then the latest Note 5/S7 phones.

I found a theme that I actually like that doesn't make the phone look like a kids toy and I've been having a little fun experimenting with fonts for the first time.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I think the device runs better without the sdcard. Transferring data from the internal storage to my PC or external HD is definitely faster.

I don't put any personal data in the cloud and as previously mentioned, the cloud doesn't help if you have a bad signal.
I have plenty of music on my phone, all of my pics and videos, even a few movies and I still have 23GB free.

Good points, and it is all about CHOICES.

Because I don't use the CLOUD or have any need for the CLOUD, I am not going to say, "I hope they don't offer the cloud anymore"..

I have over 110 gb of FLAC music files, and videos on my sd card. Also, most of the time, I am in a location where there is no connection, so the cloud wouldn't help me. I ran into one corrupt sd card, fixed that with "chkdsk (drive letter)/fix" and old dos command. I used Sandisk and haven't even got close to a problem.
I recall when a famous person said "nobody will ever need over 640k of RAM" :)

I also wish the makers would make 128gb versions ready available. However, that is not the case. One would be hard put to find a 64gb version, furtherless a 128. I came over to the Note Series when it was like pulling eye teeth to just get a 32 gb S4!!

Off Topic for a second. :)
In my sub-culture, I was real life pool shooter. :)
However, I was an expert at pool games that didn't have spectator appeal so you don't see them on TV.
I was a master at "point pool and one-pocket"..IMO, real boring to watch, but requires a lot of skill.

Back On Topic:

Great responses from all.

kenweise

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Heck yes. I got a 32GB model because it was missing. At 3 months, i am already getting "your device is nearly full" warnings. I miss my 64GB card for movies, pics, etc. Cloud storage isn't real useful on an airplane, or when you are paying overseas data rates.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Off Topic for a second. :)
In my sub-culture, I was real life pool shooter. :)
However, I was an expert at pool games that didn't have spectator appeal so you don't see them on TV.
I was a master at "point pool and one-pocket"..IMO, real boring to watch, but requires a lot of skill.

Back On Topic:

Great responses from all.

I didn't get into the various pool games, I played 8-ball in different leagues and tournaments for about 10 years. I eventually grew tired of traveling to different bars every week, keeping score, keeping track of the money, scheduling which of the 5 out of 8 guys were going to shoot that week, etc. It became more of a job.

anon(9764525)

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Not really. I would PREFER a phone that allows me to run an SD card, but I make do without it. 64 GB seems to be enough for all my music, photos, off-line GPS maps (copilot, and Navigon) and documents stored locally. And total usage, including system and bloatware is 24 GB. I do not, nor will I use cloud storage for movies or photos.