04-18-2016 07:59 PM
487 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Did you uninstall the 3rd party font app?
    Yes. When I said not supported it asked me if I wanted to uninstall
    03-05-2016 11:04 PM
    After (again, sorry. App won't let me post more than one photo at once)

Posted via the Android Central App
    How do we make the picture bigger? Tapping on the picture opens the reply/like dialog.

03-06-2016 12:01 AM
    I hate the Grey color the notification bar turns into when you enable power saving mode. Why did they have to change it? Anyway to make that go away without hiding the notification bar?

03-06-2016 12:08 AM
    I am loving the marshmallow update. I notice my phone is a little faster and my battery life seems a little better too.

hub1 likes this.
    03-06-2016 02:33 AM
    The first night after the update I only lost 5% battery overnight. Last night I figured I would compare it to my iPhone 6s Plus. I lost 5% again on the Note 5 and 7% on the iPhone. That's actually quite strange because when I was using the iPhone as my daily driver I would only lose 2 or 3% so I'm not sure what was happening last night. Either way this Marshmallow update has been amazing.
    03-06-2016 05:56 AM

Anybody able to get parrallax/motion wallpapers to work? I'm not seeing the option anymore after the update.

Also I just noticed you can turn off fast charging. Don't know why anybody would disable it but the option is there.
    03-06-2016 07:13 AM
    I have a question regarding WiFi calling on Verizon. If I am in a foreign country and I am connected to wifi, does this mean I can simply dial calls from the regular phone app just like normal, but instead of 3g/4g, it connects over wifi... even in a foreign country? What about incoming calls.... does it work the same way that I will get calls on my Verizon number as if I was on 3g/4g? Sounds too good to be true if that is indeed the case.
    03-06-2016 07:51 AM
    Unlike others here that did an in-place update, I did a cache wipe prior to updating, I updated, then I did a factory reset. Years of rooting and hacking kernels taught me to always start with a clean slate. Plus, for me, it's great to get rid of baggage that inevitably collects in the corners of the OS, so to speak.

Here's what I've noticed so far, some of which I posted earlier.

- Google Gesture Search is broken in 6.0.1. If you are not familiar with this app, check it out (once it gets fixed!). It's been a mainstay of my phone for years. You'll never go back to using the old Contacts app again. Well, it installs, works briefly, but then is stops working and throws the error message indicating so. Bummer. Hey Google - fix it!

- I've gotten fingerprints to work as my security mode in most cases. This took some doing, as in 6.0.1 I think there are new interdependencies between security functions - just a guess. I needed to repeatedly revisit all of the fingerprint settings (there are a few of them) and set/reset. Then, automagically, my phone started working they way it did with Lollipop. But, I absolutely can't figure out how to have fingerprints to be the way to unlock my phone after a restart. It will only unlock with my password.

- Fingerprints are faster and more accurate. What an improvement!

- I can't seem to get weather back on my lockscreen. Yes, I have the weather app enabled for the lockscreen - it just doesn't display.

- Doze works freeegin' great. Thanks Google. My N5 has gone from very good to amazing with Doze.

- I've left all of the bloatware in place and will keep it there a little longer. Then I will use Package Disabler Pro to get rid of it all. Just didn't want too many variables during the honeymoon phase with 6.0.1

- I can't get into UI Tuner. Tried everything I can find - no dice. I just can't get that little gear to spin. Tried swiping down twice (which never works for me - the gear gets replaced), turned on Dev Options, tried from within Dev Options, and have held that freegin' gear for over a minute one time. No workey.

- The update is perfectly stable so far, looks great and with animations cut back a bit in Dev Options, very very snappy.

- Can't for the life of me find the "Reader" mode in the new Sammy Internet 4.0 browser. I installed Adblock Fast and this browser is the sh*t. In my brief experience with it, it totally smokes Chrome - and no ads. Amazing.

If anyone has insights into any of this, please chime in.
    Air Force One and crawfojj like this.
    03-06-2016 07:52 AM
    I have a question regarding WiFi calling on Verizon. If I am in a foreign country and I am connected to wifi, does this mean I can simply dial calls from the regular phone app just like normal, but instead of 3g/4g, it connects over wifi... even in a foreign country? What about incoming calls.... does it work the same way that I will get calls on my Verizon number as if I was on 3g/4g? Sounds too good to be true if that is indeed the case.
    I may have answered my own question. Turning on airplane mode and then turning on wifi does allow incoming calls here at my home. In theory this would work anywhere in the world. Pretty cool - very cool actually - if this is indeed the case. This means the days of my use of Skype and Hangouts dialer are probably over during travel outside the country.
    03-06-2016 08:02 AM
    So.... while on the topic of faster phones etc, here are 2 things you can do to significantly speed up your phone. First, go to settings, then about phone, then find build number, hit it 10 times in rapid succession, and that will enable developer mode under settings. Go into developer mode and find the 3 settings for window scale, transition scale, and animator scale, and change those settings to .5X. This will double the speed of all animations on your phone. It's an amazing tweak. Next, look up the app called Chromer in the app store. You can read what it does in the app store description but basically it installs a fast lightweight version of Chrome that is used when apps pull up a web page (chrome custom tabs). Install and configure it. Now when you use an app that makes a call to a Web page, it loads lightning fast.

I figured I'd mention these tweaks here because everyone is tinkering with Marshmallow now and why not tweak this as well. Theae are amazing tweaks. Have fun!
    Devin Doucet and Dnoravian like this.
    03-06-2016 08:14 AM
    Unlike others here that did an in-place update, I did a cache wipe prior to updating, I updated, then I did a factory reset. Years of rooting and hacking kernels taught me to always start with a clean slate. Plus, for me, it's great to get rid of baggage that inevitably collects in the corners of the OS, so to speak.

- Google Gesture Search is broken in 6.0.1. If you are not familiar with this app, check it out (once it gets fixed!). It's been a mainstay of my phone for years. You'll never go back to using the old Contacts app again. Well, it installs, works briefly, but then is stops working and throws the error message indicating so. Bummer. Hey Google - fix it!

- I've gotten fingerprints to work as my security mode in most cases. This took some doing, as in 6.0.1 I think there are new interdependencies between security functions - just a guess. I needed to repeatedly revisit all of the fingerprint settings (there are a few of them) and set/reset. Then, automagically, my phone started working they way it did with Lollipop. But, I absolutely can't figure out how to have fingerprints to be the way to unlock my phone after a restart. It will only unlock with my password.

- I can't seem to get weather back on my lockscreen. Yes, I have the weather app enabled for the lockscreen - it just doesn't display.

- Doze works freeegin' great. Thanks Google. My N5 has gone from very good to amazing with Doze.

- I've left all of the bloatware in place and will keep it there a little longer. Then I will use Package Disabler Pro to get rid of it all. Just didn't want too many variables during the honeymoon phase with 6.0.1

- I can't get into UI Tuner. Tried everything I can find - no dice. I just can't get that little gear to spin. Tried swiping down twice (which never works for me - the gear gets replaced), turned on Dev Options, tried from within Dev Options, and have held that freegin' gear for over a minute one time. No workey.

- The update is perfectly stable so far, looks great and with animations cut back a bit in Dev Options, very very snappy.

- Can't for the life of me find the "Reader" mode in the new Sammy Internet 4.0 browser. I installed Adblock Fast and this browser is the sh*t. In my brief experience with it, it totally smokes Chrome - and no ads. Amazing.

Reader mode is entered by hitting the "R" in the Web address window. Looks like it can only be selected on a page by page basis

Verizon Galaxy Note5
    03-06-2016 08:20 AM
    ^^ This.

Also in my opinion, if you find it to be a pain to factory reset your phone, "you're not doing it right". In my opinion, in this day and age, everyone should be using a password app (I use Lastpass which is amazing as it autofills your passwords in Android apps and websites), and you should be cloud syncing mobile pictures and any other data on your phone that is not already located elsewhere. You should always be ready to remote wipe your phone in case of theft (if you don't know how learn now and not when it's a crisis). While on the topic, use password or fingerprint protection... something.... to keep your data secure, and turn on encryption in settings because....why not.

It takes me 2 hours of pain free time to be back up at full speed after a factory reset. 1. Reset; 2. Reinstall or backup apps; 3. Update all apps in Google Play; 4. Install Lastpass; 5. Configure email and other apps (super easy once Lastpass installed); and 6. Profit.

I never have battery problems or basically any problems whatsoever that I constantly see posted on forums. Why? Factory resetting every once and a while starts a clean slate. So, yeah, in my opinion, definitely factory reset after a major operating system update.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    03-06-2016 08:51 AM
    Reader mode is entered by hitting the "R" in the Web address window. Looks like it can only be selected on a page by page basis

Verizon Galaxy Note5
    Would be awesome to do this! But, I don't have an "R" in the URL window to hit!
    03-06-2016 09:27 AM
    Would be awesome to do this! But, I don't have an "R" in the URL window to hit!
    6.0 Marshmallow: Verizon Galaxy Note 5-6601.jpg
    03-06-2016 09:41 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6601.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	218839

Was about to post saying that there must be some setting I was missing, but I realized that this is not a function that you can select when you want. It's not only just available for the page you are viewing (not a global setting), but the page you are viewing must be "Reader Friendly".

I went to TheVerge and didn't see the R. Then realized that I may need to be within a specific article that allows this function, and voila, it works.

Thanks for your patience and direction on this one!
    03-06-2016 09:51 AM
    Yeah, one of the first things I noticed. Don't think it was running before but was illuminated at the same time. Weird but glad it gotten corrected.
    03-06-2016 09:54 AM

Quite a scare when I read your post about Gesture Search! It is hands down the best app I have ever installed on my Android devices, and would gladly revert back to Lollipop if it didn't work in Marshmallow. But, at least so far, without a factory reset or even a cache wipe, Gesture Search continues to work just fine for me. I wonder if some part of the code for that app (and perhaps others) stays intact if you don't do a hard reset?
    03-06-2016 10:11 AM
    Thanks for the app suggestion for Gesture Search. Very cool. And yes it's working on my factory reset marshmallow note 5 as well.
    03-06-2016 10:17 AM
    Is anyone having trouble with smart switch? When I try to back up my phone, when it's about 93% done, it keeps saying the connection was lost and every time I start over the same thing keeps happening >

03-06-2016 11:27 AM
    Is anyone having trouble with smart switch? When I try to back up my phone, when it's about 93% done, it keeps saying the connection was lost and every time I start over the same thing keeps happening >

I just saw there's another forum about this. I guess it's because of marshmallow after all

03-06-2016 11:29 AM
    You may have already tried this, but go to Settings>Lockscreen and Security>Show information>>>and make sure weather is set to on. Some are reporting that a few settings get lost in the update and may need to be reset. Hope this helps.
    This didn't work for me. Anyone have any other suggestions? I have spend about an hour digging around in settings and the stock weather app settings but can't seem to find the answer.
    03-06-2016 12:51 PM
    When doing a factory reset do you have to add all the apps to your Home screen again? I hate that. Ugh!
    03-06-2016 01:12 PM
    Quite a scare when I read your post about Gesture Search! It is hands down the best app I have ever installed on my Android devices, and would gladly revert back to Lollipop if it didn't work in Marshmallow. But, at least so far, without a factory reset or even a cache wipe, Gesture Search continues to work just fine for me. I wonder if some part of the code for that app (and perhaps others) stays intact if you don't do a hard reset?
    Don't know. Will have to look into this...
    03-06-2016 01:20 PM
    Thanks for the app suggestion for Gesture Search. Very cool. And yes it's working on my factory reset marshmallow note 5 as well.
    Cool.
    Enjoy.
    03-06-2016 01:20 PM
    When doing a factory reset do you have to add all the apps to your Home screen again? I hate that. Ugh!
    There are a number of ways to back up your phone that automates the post-factory reset activities.

Personally, I don't use any of them.

As a previous poster mentioned, it's 2016, and you data should not be solely stored on your phone. There are too many good, and secure ways to do this. So I reinstall every app from scratch. This allows me to reassess if I really want the app, and redoing the configs are always a learning experience where things get set up better each time. Then, I typically enjoy the zero issues and fast performance of a really clean install.

You need to make your own decision on how much time you want to invest, and what the pay-offs are for you.
    03-06-2016 01:24 PM
487 ... 89101112 ...