04-18-2016 07:59 PM
487 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    This didn't work for me. Anyone have any other suggestions? I have spend about an hour digging around in settings and the stock weather app settings but can't seem to find the answer.
    They've apparently removed weather on the lockscreen as an option
    03-06-2016 01:57 PM
    Im surprised no one other than myself is having high wifi drain. In 5 hours my battery has dropped 18% mostly on standby and 33% of that is WiFi. The only thing higher is apps at 35%.
    03-06-2016 02:00 PM
    Im surprised no one other than myself is having high wifi drain. In 5 hours my battery has dropped 18% mostly on standby and 33% of that is WiFi. The only thing higher is apps at 35%.
    Did u do a factory reset?
    03-06-2016 02:08 PM
    I found this forum because my Note 5 suddenly died last night and I suspected an update might have killed it. And when I say "died", I mean won't come on, won't charge, won't respond when plugged into a computer, won't reboot with the down volume/power buttons held down. No signs of life whatsoever. I took it to the Verizon store they were also not able to get it to come on or charge.

I do not have insurance on the phone, but it is only 4 months old, so they worked some magic and are having a refurbished one sent to me, but she mentioned that if they opened it up and determined that it had been dropped, they would charge me for the replacement. I did drop the phone once the week I got it, but it's worked fine since then. She just shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well, it only takes once...." **eyeroll** My fear is that they might see the scratch on the corner of the phone and say it was dropped and then charge me for a phone that was working perfectly until an update.

I had not seen an update at all before it died so I'm thinking Marshmallow my have fried my phone. Does anyone know of a way to revive a phone that has potentially been murdered by Marshmallow? I would really like to keep my own phone.

Many thanks.
    03-06-2016 02:52 PM
    No everything else seems to be fine so didnt think there was a need. I know people mentioned a wifi drain before.
    03-06-2016 02:53 PM
    I found this forum because my Note 5 suddenly died last night and I suspected an update might have killed it. And when I say "died", I mean won't come on, won't charge, won't respond when plugged into a computer, won't reboot with the down volume/power buttons held down. No signs of life whatsoever. I took it to the Verizon store they were also not able to get it to come on or charge.

I do not have insurance on the phone, but it is only 4 months old, so they worked some magic and are having a refurbished one sent to me, but she mentioned that if they opened it up and determined that it had been dropped, they would charge me for the replacement. I did drop the phone once the week I got it, but it's worked fine since then. She just shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well, it only takes once...." **eyeroll** My fear is that they might see the scratch on the corner of the phone and say it was dropped and then charge me for a phone that was working perfectly until an update.

I had not seen an update at all before it died so I'm thinking Marshmallow my have fried my phone. Does anyone know of a way to revive a phone that has potentially been murdered by Marshmallow? I would really like to keep my own phone.

Many thanks.
    The marshmallow update requires action on your part so if you didn't accept the download and ok'd the installation, I doubt it was caused by an update to Marshmallow.
    03-06-2016 03:07 PM
    The marshmallow update requires action on your part so if you didn't accept the download and ok'd the installation, I doubt it was caused by an update to Marshmallow.
    I agree.
    03-06-2016 03:19 PM

Many thanks.
    It wasn't marshmallow. And don't worry about what BS they told you. They always say that. You're fine and the refurbished phone will look and act like it's brand new.
    03-06-2016 03:21 PM

Many thanks.
    VZW has replaced a couple of devices for me in the past, and they've NEVER charged me back due to evidence of a drop. You'd have to have some substantial cosmetic damage to even worry about that (ie.. shattered screen, broken housing). A couple of scuffs or scratches isn't going to penalize you.
    03-06-2016 03:43 PM
    Did the update last night, when traveling from DC to Baltimore my GPS said "GPS signal lost" about every 5 minutes, round trip. Never had an issue on that route with this phone and have traveled many times. Also getting voice-mail error messages.
    03-06-2016 04:03 PM
    Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I'm glad to know that an update didn't kill it, but I'd sure like to know what did.
    03-06-2016 04:03 PM
    You have to put that into perspective tho. Since the battery is 3000 mah, and your WiFi has used 33% of the total 18% drain, then WiFi has only consumed 178 mah total of the battery. That's a drop in the bucket.
    (I believe my math is correct, but I could be wrong.)

From my AT&T Platinum Gold Note 5
    03-06-2016 04:17 PM
    Just did the factory reset. Piece of cake! No issues at all. All my apps are back place. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    03-06-2016 04:28 PM
    Just did the factory reset. Piece of cake! No issues at all. All my apps are back place. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Nice!
    03-06-2016 04:31 PM
    Did you use smart switch. Was considering doing it, then saw some having problems with smart switch on marshmallow. Then again, today is going to be the best battery day I've ever had, so maybe I won't.
    03-06-2016 04:35 PM
    Did you use smart switch. Was considering doing it, then saw some having problems with smart switch on marshmallow. Then again, today is going to be the best battery day I've ever had, so maybe I won't.
    No I didn't use smart switch. I was asked if I wanted to restore my settings back from a earlier time, I said yes and for restoring settings back i chose yesterday, signed into Google and my apps started downloading and my settings were restored.
    03-06-2016 04:42 PM
    No I didn't use smart switch. I was asked if I wanted to restore my settings back from a earlier time, I said yes and for restoring settings back i chose yesterday, signed into Google and my apps started downloading and my settings were restored.
    You had that option with a factory data reset? I've never heard that before. Which method did you use?
    03-06-2016 04:48 PM
    I have TMobile but for future reference for me...do the apps come back into any self placed folders? I had to reset my S4 previously and what a pain to basically rebuild all my stuff lol. I have only had my Note 5 for 3 weeks or so. Thanks!!
    03-06-2016 04:53 PM
    You had that option with a factory data reset? I've never heard that before. Which method did you use?
    Yes that was an option. I was asked did I want to restore my settings back to a earlier time. I selected yes and selected yesterday.
    droidtgray likes this.
    03-06-2016 04:54 PM
    Yes that was an option. I was asked did I want to restore my settings back to a earlier time. I selected yes and selected yesterday.
    Maybe it restores through the Samsung Restore option on your phone via your Samsung account?
    03-06-2016 05:37 PM
    Maybe it restores through the Samsung Restore option on your phone via your Samsung account?
    Maybe. I do have a Samsung account though.
    03-06-2016 05:40 PM
    You have to put that into perspective tho. Since the battery is 3000 mah, and your WiFi has used 33% of the total 18% drain, then WiFi has only consumed 178 mah total of the battery. That's a drop in the bucket.
    (I believe my math is correct, but I could be wrong.)

I understand that aspect of it but it remains high like that throughout the charge. So in the end when its down to 30% and the WiFi has used 30%+ it becomes a much larger chunk. I went ahead and reset it anyway so we will see how it goes.
    03-06-2016 05:43 PM
    I understand that aspect of it but it remains high like that throughout the charge. So in the end when its down to 30% and the WiFi has used 30%+ it becomes a much larger chunk. I went ahead and reset it anyway so we will see how it goes.
    Gotcha then. Did you happen to check if "always scanning" was somehow enabled? That can lead to big WiFi drain.

03-06-2016 05:48 PM
    Now that I reset the phone, it keeps asking me to allow it to do everything under the sun. This is annoying as all get out. Is there a way to stop that?
    03-06-2016 05:54 PM
    Its disabled the only thing on is for it to stay on even asleep. That way I dont use VZW data.
    03-06-2016 05:54 PM
487 ... 910111213 ...