04-18-2016 07:59 PM
487 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    Unlike others here that did an in-place update, I did a cache wipe prior to updating, I updated, then I did a factory reset. Years of rooting and hacking kernels taught me to always start with a clean slate. Plus, for me, it's great to get rid of baggage that inevitably collects in the corners of the OS, so to speak.

Here's what I've noticed so far, some of which I posted earlier.

- Google Gesture Search is broken in 6.0.1. If you are not familiar with this app, check it out (once it gets fixed!). It's been a mainstay of my phone for years. You'll never go back to using the old Contacts app again. Well, it installs, works briefly, but then is stops working and throws the error message indicating so. Bummer. Hey Google - fix it!

- I've gotten fingerprints to work as my security mode in most cases. This took some doing, as in 6.0.1 I think there are new interdependencies between security functions - just a guess. I needed to repeatedly revisit all of the fingerprint settings (there are a few of them) and set/reset. Then, automagically, my phone started working they way it did with Lollipop. But, I absolutely can't figure out how to have fingerprints to be the way to unlock my phone after a restart. It will only unlock with my password.

- Fingerprints are faster and more accurate. What an improvement!

- I can't seem to get weather back on my lockscreen. Yes, I have the weather app enabled for the lockscreen - it just doesn't display.

- Doze works freeegin' great. Thanks Google. My N5 has gone from very good to amazing with Doze.

- I've left all of the bloatware in place and will keep it there a little longer. Then I will use Package Disabler Pro to get rid of it all. Just didn't want too many variables during the honeymoon phase with 6.0.1

- I can't get into UI Tuner. Tried everything I can find - no dice. I just can't get that little gear to spin. Tried swiping down twice (which never works for me - the gear gets replaced), turned on Dev Options, tried from within Dev Options, and have held that freegin' gear for over a minute one time. No workey.

- The update is perfectly stable so far, looks great and with animations cut back a bit in Dev Options, very very snappy.

- Can't for the life of me find the "Reader" mode in the new Sammy Internet 4.0 browser. I installed Adblock Fast and this browser is the sh*t. In my brief experience with it, it totally smokes Chrome - and no ads. Amazing.

If anyone has insights into any of this, please chime in.
    I'm sure verizon ripped out ui tuner.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-06-2016 08:16 PM
    You had that option with a factory data reset? I've never heard that before. Which method did you use?
    It's Google backup and restore, and it's not bullet proof but it works a good part of the time.

Devin Doucet likes this.
    03-06-2016 08:19 PM
    Anyone know how to get auto search in Samsung browser? What I mean is suggestions come up as you type. I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

03-06-2016 08:22 PM
    Got most things figured out at this point.

One thing though - can you folks use your fingerprint after a shutdown or restart. Regardless of how I set up my N5 (including enabling the "Fingerprint Unlock" feature under "Fingerprints" within the "Lock Screen and Security" function) I am always faced with having to enter my password. I much prefer the way my N5 worked with Lollipop in this regard. I'd prefer to use my fingerprint.

Any ideas on this front?
    03-06-2016 08:57 PM
    Got most things figured out at this point.

One thing though - can you folks use your fingerprint after a shutdown or restart. Regardless of how I set up my N5 (including enabling the "Fingerprint Unlock" feature under "Fingerprints" within the "Lock Screen and Security" function) I am always faced with having to enter my password. I much prefer the way my N5 worked with Lollipop in this regard. I'd prefer to use my fingerprint.

Any ideas on this front?
    I think I remember it saying the first time my phone booted up after update that it is note required. I can't be sure because I was so anxious to check out marshmallow, but it said something to that effect
    03-06-2016 09:25 PM
    Anyone know how to get auto search in Samsung browser? What I mean is suggestions come up as you type. I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Is it turned on in settings under privacy.
    More/ settings/ privacy/suggest searches
    03-06-2016 09:32 PM
    I think I remember it saying the first time my phone booted up after update that it is note required. I can't be sure because I was so anxious to check out marshmallow, but it said something to that effect
    I recall seeing a similar message. I think its now normal for a password prompt after a restart, and after X hours of not logging into the phone via fingerprint. Think that's similar to how the TouchID enabled iPhones work.
    zCirca and billykac like this.
    03-06-2016 10:18 PM
    Yeah, my iPhones always required a password after any phone restart even though I used fingerprint to unlock them normally. Android may have adapted the same idea.
    billykac likes this.
    03-07-2016 01:04 AM
    Mine is requiring it, i think its just the way its going to be now. If you can turn it off i havent found out how yet.

I restart my phone every couple days, its not a huge deal but i would like the option.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!
    billykac likes this.
    03-07-2016 01:54 AM
    Is it turned on in settings under privacy.
    More/ settings/ privacy/suggest searches
    It's was on but not working, I toggled the switch and now it works. Thanks!!

03-07-2016 07:56 AM
    Trees, zCirca, russel15150:

Thanks guys for confirming that your N5's also require a password after restart/booting-up. Further to this, passwords are also now the only way to get into the "Fingerprint" functionality as well (fingerprints used to work).

This is all OK, with two minor disconnects from a human factors perspective. When I make the following settings...

Screen lock type: Fingerprints
    Fingerprint unlock: On

... I expect to be able to *unlock my phone" with fingerprints. The term "Unlock" is even used in the on-screen directions after restart/boot-up.

I am OK with this apparently new policy of using a password to unlock my phone, but the UI is a bit confounding IMO.

Maybe there's still something more to learn on this front.
    zCirca likes this.
    03-07-2016 08:01 AM
    I've noticed the call block list has returned on my Verizon Note 5 with the last update. I missed that before.

03-07-2016 08:46 AM
    smart switch is no longer working for me. anyone else having this same problem? it keeps saying i disconnected my phone -__-
    03-07-2016 10:31 AM
    Has anyone else noticed they fixed the WiFi bug? I noticed now when I have WiFi on, my network data isn't running at the same time. Only WiFi is being used for data instead of both at once. I attached a screenshot of how it used to be (black screen) and how it is now

That is how it normally should be. The data should become active (White) when sending / receiving an MMS message.
    03-07-2016 10:38 AM
    That is how it normally should be. The data should become active (White) when sending / receiving an MMS message.
    mine were always both on until the update
    03-07-2016 10:42 AM
    mine were always both on until the update
    Did you happen to have a caller ID app installed? Sometimes that can also keep it active.
    03-07-2016 10:48 AM
    Did you happen to have a caller ID app installed? Sometimes that can also keep it active.
    nope
    03-07-2016 10:48 AM
    Here is a summary of things I've noticed after the 6.0.1 upgrade.
    • Upgrade went smoothly. Didn't factory reset. I DID re-enable all my disabled apps though, just in case. No overarching bugs or issues. Overall, the experience is great. UI performance seems much snappier and responsive.
    • "Now On Tap" is very interesting and I'm using it quite a bit already.
    • I wish I could turn off or disable the brightness slider in the notification panel. I use Lux Auto Brightness so that slider is just a waste of space.
    • Not sure what's up with how Samsung has treated the new "System UI Tuner" functionality. It's clearly not available as it is in AOSP. Anyone have ideas about how to access it or where Samsung as put an equivalent tool?
    • The running processes RAM bar has been moved into "development tools". Took me forever to find it.
    • "Doze" isn't a big deal and I'm not even sure I'm seeing any battery life improvements. Of course, things were great in that department before the update. I've also disable a ton of bloatware, which makes a huge difference.
    • There's a new persistent "clipboard" manager change that is very welcome. Now, whenever you long press over a text input box, one of the options is "clipboard" which allows you too see and interact with past copy/paste items.
    • Wifi calling works like a charm. Tried both incoming and outgoing calls in airplane mode, with wifi on... no issues at all. Woot! However I do notice that there is battery consumption for "cell standby" if "wifi calling" is enabled. I guess that makes sense.
    • It appears that the "trusted voice" screen unlock functionality doesn't actually work. Anyone getting that to unlock (if you have securely locked the phone with pin/fingerprint/password) properly?
    sardar615 likes this.
    03-07-2016 11:14 AM
    Here is a summary of things I've noticed after the 6.0.1 upgrade.
    • Upgrade went smoothly. Didn't factory reset. I DID re-enable all my disabled apps though, just in case. No overarching bugs or issues. Overall, the experience is great. UI performance seems much snappier and responsive.
    • "Now On Tap" is very interesting and I'm using it quite a bit already.
    • I wish I could turn off or disable the brightness slider in the notification panel. I use Lux Auto Brightness so that slider is just a waste of space.
    • Not sure what's up with how Samsung has treated the new "System UI Tuner" functionality. It's clearly not available as it is in AOSP. Anyone have ideas about how to access it or where Samsung as put an equivalent tool?
    • The running processes RAM bar has been moved into "development tools". Took me forever to find it.
    • "Doze" isn't a big deal and I'm not even sure I'm seeing any battery life improvements. Of course, things were great in that department before the update. I've also disable a ton of bloatware, which makes a huge difference.
    • There's a new persistent "clipboard" manager change that is very welcome. Now, whenever you long press over a text input box, one of the options is "clipboard" which allows you too see and interact with past copy/paste items.
    • Wifi calling works like a charm. Tried both incoming and outgoing calls in airplane mode, with wifi on... no issues at all. Woot! However I do notice that there is battery consumption for "cell standby" if "wifi calling" is enabled. I guess that makes sense.
    • It appears that the "trusted voice" screen unlock functionality doesn't actually work. Anyone getting that to unlock (if you have securely locked the phone with pin/fingerprint/password) properly?
    I have noticed a battery improvement but it is not due to doze, I've been on my phone too much for it to kick in. I bested my previous sot record by almost an hour from before the update
    03-07-2016 11:23 AM
    smart switch is no longer working for me. anyone else having this same problem? it keeps saying i disconnected my phone -__-
    Same here

Verizon Galaxy Note5
    03-07-2016 11:50 AM
    My battery life is terrible, screen at 30% and it always shows location found on my pull down. I can't figure out what's causing that either
    03-07-2016 12:06 PM
    I love the update so far. Battery life is better, I love the variable auto-brightness option now - great. 1 odd thing. I use fingerprint unlock (which is faster now). I now have to enter my passcode to unlock my phone the first time I unlock it after every single reboot. Not too big a deal, just odd. After the first entry, fingerprint unlock works fine until I reboot..

Overall the update is great, smooth ..
    03-07-2016 12:16 PM
    I love the update so far. Battery life is better, I love the variable auto-brightness option now - great. 1 odd thing. I use fingerprint unlock (which is faster now). I now have to enter my passcode to unlock my phone the first time I unlock it after every single reboot. Not too big a deal, just odd. After the first entry, fingerprint unlock works fine until I reboot..

Overall the update is great, smooth ..
    This is a new "feature"... added security.
    03-07-2016 12:22 PM
    My battery life is terrible, screen at 30% and it always shows location found on my pull down. I can't figure out what's causing that either
    I didn't do a factory reset, but I did wipe cache partition. If you haven't already, you could try that
    03-07-2016 12:41 PM
    I didn't do a factory reset, but I did wipe cache partition. If you haven't already, you could try that
    How do I do that ? I would prefer not to reset again .. my corporate stuff is tough to get set back up

I disabled the factory weather app which had use age as high on the battery and went back to weather time line. Let's see if that fixes it
    03-07-2016 12:42 PM
487 ... 1011121314 ...