04-18-2016 07:59 PM
487 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    Cody, Wyoming.

Just adding my two cents worth. I got my Note 5 completely backed up, both in the Cloud and on my computer, then ran the upgrade Monday, 3-7-16. I did not do a factory reset. It's been about 24 hours now and so far, everything is working fine. I've already noticed a considerably better battery life. The only app problem I've encountered is with Amazon Kindle Reader, which won't bring up the book I'm reading after closing the phone. I had to close and open the book and the reader several times before it would finally display the book. I finally solved the problem by uninstalling the Kindle updates with the Apps Manager and then reinstalling Kindle from the Amazon Appstore.

I don't really understand the need to now swipe the lock screen before I can use my password gesture. If one is using a password to access the device, forcing us to also swipe the screen is superfluous, IMO.
    03-08-2016 11:38 AM
    Update is good for me, except two things... My group messages take forever to download when both wifi and mobile data are on and my battery drains a bit faster.. Had a 29 % drain last night after a full charge. Didn't do a factory reset and would like to avoid that. Anyone have any ideas how to fix the mms issue? If just seems like 4g won't kick in in a lot of places
    03-08-2016 12:11 PM
    PDP
    Thanks.
    03-08-2016 12:42 PM
    The calculator is broken! It doesn't do percentages anymore?... 132 + 8.875% = 132.08875 WTF?!
    03-08-2016 02:10 PM
    After update I'm getting an "Update Google Play Services" notification. When I tap on it, it opens the google play store and begins the scrolling bar to update. But nothing ever happens. Until it eventually times out.

6.0 Marshmallow: Verizon Galaxy Note 5-screenshot_20160308-151235.jpg

I've restarted the phone about three times and can't get it to update. Anyone else having this issue?
    03-08-2016 02:17 PM
    After update I'm getting an "Update Google Play Services" notification. When I tap on it, it opens the google play store and begins the scrolling bar to update. But nothing ever happens. Until it eventually times out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20160308-151235.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	219161

I've restarted the phone about three times and can't get it to update. Anyone else having this issue?
    I had the same problem, what worked for me was to uninstall updates for Google Play Services, then update. That took care of the isssue for me.
    03-08-2016 02:58 PM
    Cody, Wyoming.

I don't really understand the need to now swipe the lock screen before I can use my password gesture. If one is using a password to access the device, forcing us to also swipe the screen is superfluous, IMO.

You have to swipe the screen before it will let you use your Fingerprint? This has not happened to me at all. Maybe there is a setting that's messed up? Very strange.
    03-08-2016 03:06 PM
    You have to swipe the screen before it will let you use your Fingerprint? This has not happened to me at all. Maybe there is a setting that's messed up? Very strange.
    Not to use fingerprint, before you use your password
    cwbcpa likes this.
    03-08-2016 03:40 PM
    Not to use fingerprint, before you use your password
    Oh.ok. My bad. I thought the person I was responding to said Fingerprint.
    03-08-2016 03:42 PM
    After upgrading from 5 to 6 I ran my phone without a Factory Reset and it was working fine. It did have a few minor details that were a bit weird but nothing substantial enough to do a factory reset, or so I thought. But after looking at what was using memory I noted that there were about 200MB being used to adapt my list of apps to run under ver 6 after having been first installed under ver.5.
    I did a factory reset and gained back that 200 MB of memory and during set-up and subsequent use of the phone also found that there had been many screens that had been using the ver.5 images instead of the newer ver.6 images and icons. While a factory reset can take a number of hours to redo the phone I feel that it was well worth the effort for how much better and smoother the phone works after the factory reset.
    Your mileage may vary.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    03-08-2016 04:13 PM
    I do have one question. How do you rearrange the order of your email accounts in the account list in the Samsung email app?
    I just reinstalled my email accounts randomly and now unlike in version 5 I can't seem to figure out how to rearrange the list. I have dug around in the general Settings, and the OEM email Settings as well as the on-phone Help files but can't find anything to help. Any help would be most appreciated.
    03-08-2016 04:17 PM
    RE: "I had the same problem, what worked for me was to uninstall updates for Google Play Services, then update. That took care of the issue for me. "

Thanks. When I try that, I get the following screen:

6.0 Marshmallow: Verizon Galaxy Note 5-tempfileforshare_2016-03-08-17-26-56.jpg

Any thoughts?
    03-08-2016 04:29 PM
    Downloading know Its very very slow even over wifi
    03-08-2016 05:36 PM
    I noticed today, with the device locked if I wake it and drag down the notification tab and select any notification it auto unlocks and opens that app. I have fingerprint security active. If you select an app it opens to it as stated above and then you can just press the back key and you're at your home screen, security bypassed! This needs to be patched in a quick hurry.
    03-08-2016 07:47 PM
    I noticed today, with the device locked if I wake it and drag down the notification tab and select any notification it auto unlocks and opens that app. I have fingerprint security active. If you select an app it opens to it as stated above and then you can just press the back key and you're at your home screen, security bypassed! This needs to be patched in a quick hurry.
    I just tested this with mine, only had gsam and a Google now card notification, but it made me use fingerprint to unlock. I will test again when I get a real notification
    03-08-2016 08:00 PM
    Okay addendum, if you have smart lock active, i.e. a trusted bluetooth device or a trusted place it will unlock to the selected app notification and then the home screen. For testing I turned off my LG Watch Urbane and deleted my trusted place, (home) and when I selected any app notification it requested my pin or fingerprint.
    03-08-2016 08:07 PM
    Okay addendum, if you have smart lock active, i.e. a trusted bluetooth device or a trusted place it will unlock to the selected app notification and then the home screen. For testing I turned off my LG Watch Urbane and deleted my trusted place, (home) and when I selected any app notification it requested my pin or fingerprint.
    I have yet to try smart lock, so I'm not entirely sure what it does but isn't not having to unlock when near a trusted device what it's supposed to do?
    03-08-2016 08:14 PM
    Yeah, you can choose a bluetooth device, an address or GPS location, voice or body detection. I usually use it with my watch and/ or the bluetooth in my car and my address. It works great and when you're not at home or in your car or step away from your phone it locks and would require either the password or fingerprint to unlock. It is also worth noting that after deleting my "trusted place" and reentering it, if I select an app notification it still requires me to either enter my pin or use my fingerprint, though after turning my "trusted device" back on and the watch connecting if I select an app notification it will open without a pin or fingerprint.
    03-08-2016 08:23 PM
    Yeah, you can choose a bluetooth device, an address or GPS location, voice or body detection. I usually use it with my watch and/ or the bluetooth in my car and my address. It works great and when you're not at home or in your car or step away from your phone it locks and would require either the password or fingerprint to unlock. It is also worth noting that after deleting my "trusted place" and reentering it, if I select an app notification it still requires me to either enter my pin or use my fingerprint, though after turning my "trusted device" back on and the watch connecting if I select an app notification it will open without a pin or fingerprint.
    That sounds like it could be pretty handy. Unless of course if someone steels your phone and your watch or your car with your phone in it
    bassjo and droidman2177 like this.
    03-08-2016 08:36 PM
    How do you activate this

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-08-2016 09:17 PM
    You should be able to find it by going to the settings app and use the search function above, just type in smart lock. Then choose how you want to proceed.
    03-08-2016 09:21 PM
    How do you activate this

Posted via the Android Central App
    Settings/ lock screen and Security/ secure lock settings/ smart lock
    03-08-2016 09:31 PM
    Re the calculator, try 132 * 1.08875. There are other ways, too, but this is my favorite way to figure it. If I'm understanding what you trying to do.
    03-08-2016 09:39 PM
    So far everything looks and acts fine we will see about the battery over night. I don't like the grey notification bar at the the top It's hard to see.
    03-09-2016 12:06 AM
    Battery comparison...

Sat night, post Marshmallow update
    50% battery usage
    SOT 3.2 hrs
    Estimated time remaining 13 hrs.
    Recorded battery usage. 10.5 hrs
    Light usage.

Tuesday night, Factory Reset done Monday morning.
    50% battery usage
    SOT. 3.0 hrs
    Estimated time remaining. 7 hrs
    Recorded battery usage. 6.7 hrs
    Medium to heavy usage.
    Cass Danielle likes this.
    03-09-2016 12:31 AM
487 ... 1213141516 ...