6.0 Marshmallow: Verizon Galaxy Note 5

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Battery life is much better now! Notice the before and after stats :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-04-20-19-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-04-20-19-07.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 216

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
After (again, sorry. App won't let me post more than one photo at once)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160305-175407.jpg
    Screenshot_20160305-175407.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 212

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Wow, great update! Phone feels faster/smoother. Direct Dial is back, new Sammy browser is crazy fast and ad blocker is great. It has only been one day but I just ended it with about 20% more battery life that normal but only more time will tell for sure.

Oh, and the HotSpot 'warning' can be turned off now!!

wendemi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I hate the Grey color the notification bar turns into when you enable power saving mode. Why did they have to change it? Anyway to make that go away without hiding the notification bar?

ScKalbe

Banned
May 9, 2013
Visit site
I am loving the marshmallow update. I notice my phone is a little faster and my battery life seems a little better too.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The first night after the update I only lost 5% battery overnight. Last night I figured I would compare it to my iPhone 6s Plus. I lost 5% again on the Note 5 and 7% on the iPhone. That's actually quite strange because when I was using the iPhone as my daily driver I would only lose 2 or 3% so I'm not sure what was happening last night. Either way this Marshmallow update has been amazing.

Mayze

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
34a2a04d4e82f8f403669b37891f671c.jpg

Anybody able to get parrallax/motion wallpapers to work? I'm not seeing the option anymore after the update.

Also I just noticed you can turn off fast charging. Don't know why anybody would disable it but the option is there.

Last edited:

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a question regarding WiFi calling on Verizon. If I am in a foreign country and I am connected to wifi, does this mean I can simply dial calls from the regular phone app just like normal, but instead of 3g/4g, it connects over wifi... even in a foreign country? What about incoming calls.... does it work the same way that I will get calls on my Verizon number as if I was on 3g/4g? Sounds too good to be true if that is indeed the case.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Unlike others here that did an in-place update, I did a cache wipe prior to updating, I updated, then I did a factory reset. Years of rooting and hacking kernels taught me to always start with a clean slate. Plus, for me, it's great to get rid of baggage that inevitably collects in the corners of the OS, so to speak.

Here's what I've noticed so far, some of which I posted earlier.

- Google Gesture Search is broken in 6.0.1. If you are not familiar with this app, check it out (once it gets fixed!). It's been a mainstay of my phone for years. You'll never go back to using the old Contacts app again. Well, it installs, works briefly, but then is stops working and throws the error message indicating so. Bummer. Hey Google - fix it!

- I've gotten fingerprints to work as my security mode in most cases. This took some doing, as in 6.0.1 I think there are new interdependencies between security functions - just a guess. I needed to repeatedly revisit all of the fingerprint settings (there are a few of them) and set/reset. Then, automagically, my phone started working they way it did with Lollipop. But, I absolutely can't figure out how to have fingerprints to be the way to unlock my phone after a restart. It will only unlock with my password.

- Fingerprints are faster and more accurate. What an improvement!

- I can't seem to get weather back on my lockscreen. Yes, I have the weather app enabled for the lockscreen - it just doesn't display.

- Doze works freeegin' great. Thanks Google. My N5 has gone from very good to amazing with Doze.

- I've left all of the bloatware in place and will keep it there a little longer. Then I will use Package Disabler Pro to get rid of it all. Just didn't want too many variables during the honeymoon phase with 6.0.1

- I can't get into UI Tuner. Tried everything I can find - no dice. I just can't get that little gear to spin. Tried swiping down twice (which never works for me - the gear gets replaced), turned on Dev Options, tried from within Dev Options, and have held that freegin' gear for over a minute one time. No workey.

- The update is perfectly stable so far, looks great and with animations cut back a bit in Dev Options, very very snappy.

- Can't for the life of me find the "Reader" mode in the new Sammy Internet 4.0 browser. I installed Adblock Fast and this browser is the sh*t. In my brief experience with it, it totally smokes Chrome - and no ads. Amazing.

If anyone has insights into any of this, please chime in.

Last edited:

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a question regarding WiFi calling on Verizon. If I am in a foreign country and I am connected to wifi, does this mean I can simply dial calls from the regular phone app just like normal, but instead of 3g/4g, it connects over wifi... even in a foreign country? What about incoming calls.... does it work the same way that I will get calls on my Verizon number as if I was on 3g/4g? Sounds too good to be true if that is indeed the case.
I may have answered my own question. Turning on airplane mode and then turning on wifi does allow incoming calls here at my home. In theory this would work anywhere in the world. Pretty cool - very cool actually - if this is indeed the case. This means the days of my use of Skype and Hangouts dialer are probably over during travel outside the country.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So.... while on the topic of faster phones etc, here are 2 things you can do to significantly speed up your phone. First, go to settings, then about phone, then find build number, hit it 10 times in rapid succession, and that will enable developer mode under settings. Go into developer mode and find the 3 settings for window scale, transition scale, and animator scale, and change those settings to .5X. This will double the speed of all animations on your phone. It's an amazing tweak. Next, look up the app called Chromer in the app store. You can read what it does in the app store description but basically it installs a fast lightweight version of Chrome that is used when apps pull up a web page (chrome custom tabs). Install and configure it. Now when you use an app that makes a call to a Web page, it loads lightning fast.

I figured I'd mention these tweaks here because everyone is tinkering with Marshmallow now and why not tweak this as well. Theae are amazing tweaks. Have fun!

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Unlike others here that did an in-place update, I did a cache wipe prior to updating, I updated, then I did a factory reset. Years of rooting and hacking kernels taught me to always start with a clean slate. Plus, for me, it's great to get rid of baggage that inevitably collects in the corners of the OS, so to speak.

Here's what I've noticed so far, some of which I posted earlier.

- Google Gesture Search is broken in 6.0.1. If you are not familiar with this app, check it out (once it gets fixed!). It's been a mainstay of my phone for years. You'll never go back to using the old Contacts app again. Well, it installs, works briefly, but then is stops working and throws the error message indicating so. Bummer. Hey Google - fix it!

- I've gotten fingerprints to work as my security mode in most cases. This took some doing, as in 6.0.1 I think there are new interdependencies between security functions - just a guess. I needed to repeatedly revisit all of the fingerprint settings (there are a few of them) and set/reset. Then, automagically, my phone started working they way it did with Lollipop. But, I absolutely can't figure out how to have fingerprints to be the way to unlock my phone after a restart. It will only unlock with my password.

- Fingerprints are faster and more accurate. What an improvement!

- I can't seem to get weather back on my lockscreen. Yes, I have the weather app enabled for the lockscreen - it just doesn't display.

- Doze works freeegin' great. Thanks Google. My N5 has gone from very good to amazing with Doze.

- I've left all of the bloatware in place and will keep it there a little longer. Then I will use Package Disabler Pro to get rid of it all. Just didn't want too many variables during the honeymoon phase with 6.0.1

- I can't get into UI Tuner. Tried everything I can find - no dice. I just can't get that little gear to spin. Tried swiping down twice (which never works for me - the gear gets replaced), turned on Dev Options, tried from within Dev Options, and have held that freegin' gear for over a minute one time. No workey.

- The update is perfectly stable so far, looks great and with animations cut back a bit in Dev Options, very very snappy.

- Can't for the life of me find the "Reader" mode in the new Sammy Internet 4.0 browser. I installed Adblock Fast and this browser is the sh*t. In my brief experience with it, it totally smokes Chrome - and no ads. Amazing.

If anyone has insights into any of this, please chime in.

Reader mode is entered by hitting the "R" in the Web address window. Looks like it can only be selected on a page by page basis

Verizon Galaxy Note5

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

^^ This.

Also in my opinion, if you find it to be a pain to factory reset your phone, "you're not doing it right". In my opinion, in this day and age, everyone should be using a password app (I use Lastpass which is amazing as it autofills your passwords in Android apps and websites), and you should be cloud syncing mobile pictures and any other data on your phone that is not already located elsewhere. You should always be ready to remote wipe your phone in case of theft (if you don't know how learn now and not when it's a crisis). While on the topic, use password or fingerprint protection... something.... to keep your data secure, and turn on encryption in settings because....why not.

It takes me 2 hours of pain free time to be back up at full speed after a factory reset. 1. Reset; 2. Reinstall or backup apps; 3. Update all apps in Google Play; 4. Install Lastpass; 5. Configure email and other apps (super easy once Lastpass installed); and 6. Profit.

I never have battery problems or basically any problems whatsoever that I constantly see posted on forums. Why? Factory resetting every once and a while starts a clean slate. So, yeah, in my opinion, definitely factory reset after a major operating system update.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Was about to post saying that there must be some setting I was missing, but I realized that this is not a function that you can select when you want. It's not only just available for the page you are viewing (not a global setting), but the page you are viewing must be "Reader Friendly".

I went to TheVerge and didn't see the R. Then realized that I may need to be within a specific article that allows this function, and voila, it works.

Thanks for your patience and direction on this one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz