6.0 Marshmallow: Verizon Galaxy Note 5

jboogie1289

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, one of the first things I noticed. Don't think it was running before but was illuminated at the same time. Weird but glad it gotten corrected.

smrdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Unlike others here that did an in-place update, I did a cache wipe prior to updating, I updated, then I did a factory reset. Years of rooting and hacking kernels taught me to always start with a clean slate. Plus, for me, it's great to get rid of baggage that inevitably collects in the corners of the OS, so to speak.

Here's what I've noticed so far, some of which I posted earlier.

- Google Gesture Search is broken in 6.0.1. If you are not familiar with this app, check it out (once it gets fixed!). It's been a mainstay of my phone for years. You'll never go back to using the old Contacts app again. Well, it installs, works briefly, but then is stops working and throws the error message indicating so. Bummer. Hey Google - fix it!

- I've gotten fingerprints to work as my security mode in most cases. This took some doing, as in 6.0.1 I think there are new interdependencies between security functions - just a guess. I needed to repeatedly revisit all of the fingerprint settings (there are a few of them) and set/reset. Then, automagically, my phone started working they way it did with Lollipop. But, I absolutely can't figure out how to have fingerprints to be the way to unlock my phone after a restart. It will only unlock with my password.

- Fingerprints are faster and more accurate. What an improvement!

- I can't seem to get weather back on my lockscreen. Yes, I have the weather app enabled for the lockscreen - it just doesn't display.

- Doze works freeegin' great. Thanks Google. My N5 has gone from very good to amazing with Doze.

- I've left all of the bloatware in place and will keep it there a little longer. Then I will use Package Disabler Pro to get rid of it all. Just didn't want too many variables during the honeymoon phase with 6.0.1

- I can't get into UI Tuner. Tried everything I can find - no dice. I just can't get that little gear to spin. Tried swiping down twice (which never works for me - the gear gets replaced), turned on Dev Options, tried from within Dev Options, and have held that freegin' gear for over a minute one time. No workey.

- The update is perfectly stable so far, looks great and with animations cut back a bit in Dev Options, very very snappy.

- Can't for the life of me find the "Reader" mode in the new Sammy Internet 4.0 browser. I installed Adblock Fast and this browser is the sh*t. In my brief experience with it, it totally smokes Chrome - and no ads. Amazing.

If anyone has insights into any of this, please chime in.

Quite a scare when I read your post about Gesture Search! It is hands down the best app I have ever installed on my Android devices, and would gladly revert back to Lollipop if it didn't work in Marshmallow. But, at least so far, without a factory reset or even a cache wipe, Gesture Search continues to work just fine for me. I wonder if some part of the code for that app (and perhaps others) stays intact if you don't do a hard reset?

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the app suggestion for Gesture Search. Very cool. And yes it's working on my factory reset marshmallow note 5 as well.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Is anyone having trouble with smart switch? When I try to back up my phone, when it's about 93% done, it keeps saying the connection was lost and every time I start over the same thing keeps happening :mad:

Posted via the Android Central App

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Is anyone having trouble with smart switch? When I try to back up my phone, when it's about 93% done, it keeps saying the connection was lost and every time I start over the same thing keeps happening :mad:

I just saw there's another forum about this. I guess it's because of marshmallow after all

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
You may have already tried this, but go to Settings>Lockscreen and Security>Show information>>>and make sure weather is set to on. Some are reporting that a few settings get lost in the update and may need to be reset. Hope this helps.

This didn't work for me. Anyone have any other suggestions? I have spend about an hour digging around in settings and the stock weather app settings but can't seem to find the answer.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Quite a scare when I read your post about Gesture Search! It is hands down the best app I have ever installed on my Android devices, and would gladly revert back to Lollipop if it didn't work in Marshmallow. But, at least so far, without a factory reset or even a cache wipe, Gesture Search continues to work just fine for me. I wonder if some part of the code for that app (and perhaps others) stays intact if you don't do a hard reset?

Don't know. Will have to look into this...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
When doing a factory reset do you have to add all the apps to your Home screen again? I hate that. Ugh!

There are a number of ways to back up your phone that automates the post-factory reset activities.

Personally, I don't use any of them.

As a previous poster mentioned, it's 2016, and you data should not be solely stored on your phone. There are too many good, and secure ways to do this. So I reinstall every app from scratch. This allows me to reassess if I really want the app, and redoing the configs are always a learning experience where things get set up better each time. Then, I typically enjoy the zero issues and fast performance of a really clean install.

You need to make your own decision on how much time you want to invest, and what the pay-offs are for you.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
This didn't work for me. Anyone have any other suggestions? I have spend about an hour digging around in settings and the stock weather app settings but can't seem to find the answer.

They've apparently removed weather on the lockscreen as an option

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Im surprised no one other than myself is having high wifi drain. In 5 hours my battery has dropped 18% mostly on standby and 33% of that is WiFi. The only thing higher is apps at 35%.

shannahsings

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Verizon’s Galaxy Note 5 is Getting Its Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update

I found this forum because my Note 5 suddenly died last night and I suspected an update might have killed it. And when I say "died", I mean won't come on, won't charge, won't respond when plugged into a computer, won't reboot with the down volume/power buttons held down. No signs of life whatsoever. I took it to the Verizon store they were also not able to get it to come on or charge.

I do not have insurance on the phone, but it is only 4 months old, so they worked some magic and are having a refurbished one sent to me, but she mentioned that if they opened it up and determined that it had been dropped, they would charge me for the replacement. I did drop the phone once the week I got it, but it's worked fine since then. She just shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well, it only takes once...." **eyeroll** My fear is that they might see the scratch on the corner of the phone and say it was dropped and then charge me for a phone that was working perfectly until an update.

I had not seen an update at all before it died so I'm thinking Marshmallow my have fried my phone. Does anyone know of a way to revive a phone that has potentially been murdered by Marshmallow? I would really like to keep my own phone.

Many thanks.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
No everything else seems to be fine so didnt think there was a need. I know people mentioned a wifi drain before.

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

I found this forum because my Note 5 suddenly died last night and I suspected an update might have killed it. And when I say "died", I mean won't come on, won't charge, won't respond when plugged into a computer, won't reboot with the down volume/power buttons held down. No signs of life whatsoever. I took it to the Verizon store they were also not able to get it to come on or charge.

I do not have insurance on the phone, but it is only 4 months old, so they worked some magic and are having a refurbished one sent to me, but she mentioned that if they opened it up and determined that it had been dropped, they would charge me for the replacement. I did drop the phone once the week I got it, but it's worked fine since then. She just shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well, it only takes once...." **eyeroll** My fear is that they might see the scratch on the corner of the phone and say it was dropped and then charge me for a phone that was working perfectly until an update.

I had not seen an update at all before it died so I'm thinking Marshmallow my have fried my phone. Does anyone know of a way to revive a phone that has potentially been murdered by Marshmallow? I would really like to keep my own phone.

Many thanks.

The marshmallow update requires action on your part so if you didn't accept the download and ok'd the installation, I doubt it was caused by an update to Marshmallow.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

The marshmallow update requires action on your part so if you didn't accept the download and ok'd the installation, I doubt it was caused by an update to Marshmallow.

I agree.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Many thanks.
It wasn't marshmallow. And don't worry about what BS they told you. They always say that. You're fine and the refurbished phone will look and act like it's brand new.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

Many thanks.
VZW has replaced a couple of devices for me in the past, and they've NEVER charged me back due to evidence of a drop. You'd have to have some substantial cosmetic damage to even worry about that (ie.. shattered screen, broken housing). A couple of scuffs or scratches isn't going to penalize you.

Jensprincess

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Did the update last night, when traveling from DC to Baltimore my GPS said "GPS signal lost" about every 5 minutes, round trip. Never had an issue on that route with this phone and have traveled many times. Also getting voice-mail error messages.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2