6.0 Marshmallow: Verizon Galaxy Note 5

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Im surprised no one other than myself is having high wifi drain. In 5 hours my battery has dropped 18% mostly on standby and 33% of that is WiFi. The only thing higher is apps at 35%.

You have to put that into perspective tho. Since the battery is 3000 mah, and your WiFi has used 33% of the total 18% drain, then WiFi has only consumed 178 mah total of the battery. That's a drop in the bucket.
(I believe my math is correct, but I could be wrong.)

From my AT&T Platinum Gold Note 5

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Just did the factory reset. Piece of cake! No issues at all. All my apps are back place. 😊

Did you use smart switch. Was considering doing it, then saw some having problems with smart switch on marshmallow. Then again, today is going to be the best battery day I've ever had, so maybe I won't.

CeCe0731

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Did you use smart switch. Was considering doing it, then saw some having problems with smart switch on marshmallow. Then again, today is going to be the best battery day I've ever had, so maybe I won't.
No I didn't use smart switch. I was asked if I wanted to restore my settings back from a earlier time, I said yes and for restoring settings back i chose yesterday, signed into Google and my apps started downloading and my settings were restored.

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
No I didn't use smart switch. I was asked if I wanted to restore my settings back from a earlier time, I said yes and for restoring settings back i chose yesterday, signed into Google and my apps started downloading and my settings were restored.

You had that option with a factory data reset? I've never heard that before. Which method did you use?

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I have TMobile but for future reference for me...do the apps come back into any self placed folders? I had to reset my S4 previously and what a pain to basically rebuild all my stuff lol. I have only had my Note 5 for 3 weeks or so. Thanks!!

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You have to put that into perspective tho. Since the battery is 3000 mah, and your WiFi has used 33% of the total 18% drain, then WiFi has only consumed 178 mah total of the battery. That's a drop in the bucket.
(I believe my math is correct, but I could be wrong.)

I understand that aspect of it but it remains high like that throughout the charge. So in the end when its down to 30% and the WiFi has used 30%+ it becomes a much larger chunk. I went ahead and reset it anyway so we will see how it goes.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I understand that aspect of it but it remains high like that throughout the charge. So in the end when its down to 30% and the WiFi has used 30%+ it becomes a much larger chunk. I went ahead and reset it anyway so we will see how it goes.

Gotcha then. Did you happen to check if "always scanning" was somehow enabled? That can lead to big WiFi drain.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Now that I reset the phone, it keeps asking me to allow it to do everything under the sun. This is annoying as all get out. Is there a way to stop that?

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Unlike others here that did an in-place update, I did a cache wipe prior to updating, I updated, then I did a factory reset. Years of rooting and hacking kernels taught me to always start with a clean slate. Plus, for me, it's great to get rid of baggage that inevitably collects in the corners of the OS, so to speak.

Here's what I've noticed so far, some of which I posted earlier.

- Google Gesture Search is broken in 6.0.1. If you are not familiar with this app, check it out (once it gets fixed!). It's been a mainstay of my phone for years. You'll never go back to using the old Contacts app again. Well, it installs, works briefly, but then is stops working and throws the error message indicating so. Bummer. Hey Google - fix it!

- I've gotten fingerprints to work as my security mode in most cases. This took some doing, as in 6.0.1 I think there are new interdependencies between security functions - just a guess. I needed to repeatedly revisit all of the fingerprint settings (there are a few of them) and set/reset. Then, automagically, my phone started working they way it did with Lollipop. But, I absolutely can't figure out how to have fingerprints to be the way to unlock my phone after a restart. It will only unlock with my password.

- Fingerprints are faster and more accurate. What an improvement!

- I can't seem to get weather back on my lockscreen. Yes, I have the weather app enabled for the lockscreen - it just doesn't display.

- Doze works freeegin' great. Thanks Google. My N5 has gone from very good to amazing with Doze.

- I've left all of the bloatware in place and will keep it there a little longer. Then I will use Package Disabler Pro to get rid of it all. Just didn't want too many variables during the honeymoon phase with 6.0.1

- I can't get into UI Tuner. Tried everything I can find - no dice. I just can't get that little gear to spin. Tried swiping down twice (which never works for me - the gear gets replaced), turned on Dev Options, tried from within Dev Options, and have held that freegin' gear for over a minute one time. No workey.

- The update is perfectly stable so far, looks great and with animations cut back a bit in Dev Options, very very snappy.

- Can't for the life of me find the "Reader" mode in the new Sammy Internet 4.0 browser. I installed Adblock Fast and this browser is the sh*t. In my brief experience with it, it totally smokes Chrome - and no ads. Amazing.

If anyone has insights into any of this, please chime in.

I'm sure verizon ripped out ui tuner.

Posted via the Android Central App

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Anyone know how to get auto search in Samsung browser? What I mean is suggestions come up as you type. I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Posted via the Android Central App

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Got most things figured out at this point.

One thing though - can you folks use your fingerprint after a shutdown or restart. Regardless of how I set up my N5 (including enabling the "Fingerprint Unlock" feature under "Fingerprints" within the "Lock Screen and Security" function) I am always faced with having to enter my password. I much prefer the way my N5 worked with Lollipop in this regard. I'd prefer to use my fingerprint.

Any ideas on this front?

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Got most things figured out at this point.

One thing though - can you folks use your fingerprint after a shutdown or restart. Regardless of how I set up my N5 (including enabling the "Fingerprint Unlock" feature under "Fingerprints" within the "Lock Screen and Security" function) I am always faced with having to enter my password. I much prefer the way my N5 worked with Lollipop in this regard. I'd prefer to use my fingerprint.

Any ideas on this front?

I think I remember it saying the first time my phone booted up after update that it is note required. I can't be sure because I was so anxious to check out marshmallow, but it said something to that effect

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma