6.0 Marshmallow: Verizon Galaxy Note 5

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I think I remember it saying the first time my phone booted up after update that it is note required. I can't be sure because I was so anxious to check out marshmallow, but it said something to that effect

I recall seeing a similar message. I think its now normal for a password prompt after a restart, and after X hours of not logging into the phone via fingerprint. Think that's similar to how the TouchID enabled iPhones work.

zCirca

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, my iPhones always required a password after any phone restart even though I used fingerprint to unlock them normally. Android may have adapted the same idea.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine is requiring it, i think its just the way its going to be now. If you can turn it off i havent found out how yet.

I restart my phone every couple days, its not a huge deal but i would like the option.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Trees, zCirca, russel15150:

Thanks guys for confirming that your N5's also require a password after restart/booting-up. Further to this, passwords are also now the only way to get into the "Fingerprint" functionality as well (fingerprints used to work).

This is all OK, with two minor disconnects from a human factors perspective. When I make the following settings...

Screen lock type: Fingerprints
Fingerprint unlock: On

... I expect to be able to *unlock my phone" with fingerprints. :) The term "Unlock" is even used in the on-screen directions after restart/boot-up.

I am OK with this apparently new policy of using a password to unlock my phone, but the UI is a bit confounding IMO.

Maybe there's still something more to learn on this front.

GrungyNA

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the call block list has returned on my Verizon Note 5 with the last update. I missed that before.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed they fixed the WiFi bug? I noticed now when I have WiFi on, my network data isn't running at the same time. Only WiFi is being used for data instead of both at once. I attached a screenshot of how it used to be (black screen) and how it is now

Posted via the Android Central App

That is how it normally should be. The data should become active (White) when sending / receiving an MMS message.

anon(6121713)

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Here is a summary of things I've noticed after the 6.0.1 upgrade.
  • Upgrade went smoothly. Didn't factory reset. I DID re-enable all my disabled apps though, just in case. No overarching bugs or issues. Overall, the experience is great. UI performance seems much snappier and responsive.
  • "Now On Tap" is very interesting and I'm using it quite a bit already.
  • I wish I could turn off or disable the brightness slider in the notification panel. I use Lux Auto Brightness so that slider is just a waste of space.
  • Not sure what's up with how Samsung has treated the new "System UI Tuner" functionality. It's clearly not available as it is in AOSP. Anyone have ideas about how to access it or where Samsung as put an equivalent tool?
  • The running processes RAM bar has been moved into "development tools". Took me forever to find it.
  • "Doze" isn't a big deal and I'm not even sure I'm seeing any battery life improvements. Of course, things were great in that department before the update. I've also disable a ton of bloatware, which makes a huge difference.
  • There's a new persistent "clipboard" manager change that is very welcome. Now, whenever you long press over a text input box, one of the options is "clipboard" which allows you too see and interact with past copy/paste items.
  • Wifi calling works like a charm. Tried both incoming and outgoing calls in airplane mode, with wifi on... no issues at all. Woot! However I do notice that there is battery consumption for "cell standby" if "wifi calling" is enabled. I guess that makes sense.
  • It appears that the "trusted voice" screen unlock functionality doesn't actually work. Anyone getting that to unlock (if you have securely locked the phone with pin/fingerprint/password) properly?

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Here is a summary of things I've noticed after the 6.0.1 upgrade.
  • Upgrade went smoothly. Didn't factory reset. I DID re-enable all my disabled apps though, just in case. No overarching bugs or issues. Overall, the experience is great. UI performance seems much snappier and responsive.
  • "Now On Tap" is very interesting and I'm using it quite a bit already.
  • I wish I could turn off or disable the brightness slider in the notification panel. I use Lux Auto Brightness so that slider is just a waste of space.
  • Not sure what's up with how Samsung has treated the new "System UI Tuner" functionality. It's clearly not available as it is in AOSP. Anyone have ideas about how to access it or where Samsung as put an equivalent tool?
  • The running processes RAM bar has been moved into "development tools". Took me forever to find it.
  • "Doze" isn't a big deal and I'm not even sure I'm seeing any battery life improvements. Of course, things were great in that department before the update. I've also disable a ton of bloatware, which makes a huge difference.
  • There's a new persistent "clipboard" manager change that is very welcome. Now, whenever you long press over a text input box, one of the options is "clipboard" which allows you too see and interact with past copy/paste items.
  • Wifi calling works like a charm. Tried both incoming and outgoing calls in airplane mode, with wifi on... no issues at all. Woot! However I do notice that there is battery consumption for "cell standby" if "wifi calling" is enabled. I guess that makes sense.
  • It appears that the "trusted voice" screen unlock functionality doesn't actually work. Anyone getting that to unlock (if you have securely locked the phone with pin/fingerprint/password) properly?

I have noticed a battery improvement but it is not due to doze, I've been on my phone too much for it to kick in. I bested my previous sot record by almost an hour from before the update

Miami1683

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
My battery life is terrible, screen at 30% and it always shows location found on my pull down. I can't figure out what's causing that either

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I love the update so far. Battery life is better, I love the variable auto-brightness option now - great. 1 odd thing. I use fingerprint unlock (which is faster now). I now have to enter my passcode to unlock my phone the first time I unlock it after every single reboot. Not too big a deal, just odd. After the first entry, fingerprint unlock works fine until I reboot..

Overall the update is great, smooth ..

anon(6121713)

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I love the update so far. Battery life is better, I love the variable auto-brightness option now - great. 1 odd thing. I use fingerprint unlock (which is faster now). I now have to enter my passcode to unlock my phone the first time I unlock it after every single reboot. Not too big a deal, just odd. After the first entry, fingerprint unlock works fine until I reboot..

Overall the update is great, smooth ..

This is a new "feature"... added security.

Miami1683

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I didn't do a factory reset, but I did wipe cache partition. If you haven't already, you could try that
How do I do that ? I would prefer not to reset again .. my corporate stuff is tough to get set back up

I disabled the factory weather app which had use age as high on the battery and went back to weather time line. Let's see if that fixes it

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX