6.0 Marshmallow: Verizon Galaxy Note 5

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Now that MM has been running very well on my N5 (I did a factory reset) and all of my required apps are installed and running for days now, I figure this is a good time to reinstall Package Disabler Pro and dump all of the bloatware. I didn't want to do this immediately - I wanted to confirm that all is well on the MM front. Prior to MM, I used PDP conservatively to chuck everything from VZW, all the obvious bloat, and some Samsung stuff I'd never use. I found that it has worked great on the N5, making my battery last way beyond a day for me.

So, have any of you chucked the bloat yet with PDP?
Any issues doing so with MM?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Now that MM has been running very well on my N5 (I did a factory reset) and all of my required apps are installed and running for days now, I figure this is a good time to reinstall Package Disabler Pro and dump all of the bloatware. I didn't want to do this immediately - I wanted to confirm that all is well on the MM front. Prior to MM, I used PDP conservatively to chuck everything from VZW, all the obvious bloat, and some Samsung stuff I'd never use. I found that it has worked great on the N5, making my battery last way beyond a day for me.

So, have any of you chucked the bloat yet with PDP?
Any issues doing so with MM?

I disabled some things immediately, I did not do a factory reset.

mwil82

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm liking the update so far, I have one issue. about the time when placing a call the phone ask's if i want to use sim card 1 or sim card 2. I have the remember box checked, yet I continually get the message. anyone else experiencing this or have a solution.

thanks

mcfrost

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Cody, Wyoming.

Just adding my two cents worth. I got my Note 5 completely backed up, both in the Cloud and on my computer, then ran the upgrade Monday, 3-7-16. I did not do a factory reset. It's been about 24 hours now and so far, everything is working fine. I've already noticed a considerably better battery life. The only app problem I've encountered is with Amazon Kindle Reader, which won't bring up the book I'm reading after closing the phone. I had to close and open the book and the reader several times before it would finally display the book. I finally solved the problem by uninstalling the Kindle updates with the Apps Manager and then reinstalling Kindle from the Amazon Appstore.

I don't really understand the need to now swipe the lock screen before I can use my password gesture. If one is using a password to access the device, forcing us to also swipe the screen is superfluous, IMO.

Dnoravian

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Update is good for me, except two things... My group messages take forever to download when both wifi and mobile data are on and my battery drains a bit faster.. Had a 29 % drain last night after a full charge. Didn't do a factory reset and would like to avoid that. Anyone have any ideas how to fix the mms issue? If just seems like 4g won't kick in in a lot of places

jmj227

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
After update I'm getting an "Update Google Play Services" notification. When I tap on it, it opens the google play store and begins the scrolling bar to update. But nothing ever happens. Until it eventually times out.

Screenshot_20160308-151235.jpg

I've restarted the phone about three times and can't get it to update. Anyone else having this issue?

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
After update I'm getting an "Update Google Play Services" notification. When I tap on it, it opens the google play store and begins the scrolling bar to update. But nothing ever happens. Until it eventually times out.

View attachment 219161

I've restarted the phone about three times and can't get it to update. Anyone else having this issue?

I had the same problem, what worked for me was to uninstall updates for Google Play Services, then update. That took care of the isssue for me.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Cody, Wyoming.

I don't really understand the need to now swipe the lock screen before I can use my password gesture. If one is using a password to access the device, forcing us to also swipe the screen is superfluous, IMO.

You have to swipe the screen before it will let you use your Fingerprint? This has not happened to me at all. Maybe there is a setting that's messed up? Very strange.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
After upgrading from 5 to 6 I ran my phone without a Factory Reset and it was working fine. It did have a few minor details that were a bit weird but nothing substantial enough to do a factory reset, or so I thought. But after looking at what was using memory I noted that there were about 200MB being used to adapt my list of apps to run under ver 6 after having been first installed under ver.5.
I did a factory reset and gained back that 200 MB of memory and during set-up and subsequent use of the phone also found that there had been many screens that had been using the ver.5 images instead of the newer ver.6 images and icons. While a factory reset can take a number of hours to redo the phone I feel that it was well worth the effort for how much better and smoother the phone works after the factory reset.
Your mileage may vary.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I do have one question. How do you rearrange the order of your email accounts in the account list in the Samsung email app?
I just reinstalled my email accounts randomly and now unlike in version 5 I can't seem to figure out how to rearrange the list. I have dug around in the general Settings, and the OEM email Settings as well as the on-phone Help files but can't find anything to help. Any help would be most appreciated.

jmj227

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
RE: "I had the same problem, what worked for me was to uninstall updates for Google Play Services, then update. That took care of the issue for me. "

Thanks. When I try that, I get the following screen:

tempFileForShare_2016-03-08-17-26-56.jpg

Any thoughts?

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I noticed today, with the device locked if I wake it and drag down the notification tab and select any notification it auto unlocks and opens that app. I have fingerprint security active. If you select an app it opens to it as stated above and then you can just press the back key and you're at your home screen, security bypassed! This needs to be patched in a quick hurry.

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I noticed today, with the device locked if I wake it and drag down the notification tab and select any notification it auto unlocks and opens that app. I have fingerprint security active. If you select an app it opens to it as stated above and then you can just press the back key and you're at your home screen, security bypassed! This needs to be patched in a quick hurry.

I just tested this with mine, only had gsam and a Google now card notification, but it made me use fingerprint to unlock. I will test again when I get a real notification