Any major differences with the new marshmallow update?

J_GOMEZ

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Just realized the marshmallow update is available for my note 5 (verizon) and I'm just wondering what the major differences are is there is any.?

Posted via the Android Central App

bluemoongreg

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
The ability to use an ad blocking app in the browser is wonderful. Makes browsing on a smartphone fun again.

This alone, IMHO, makes it one of the better upgrades I've ever downloaded.

Doze does seem to help some with battery drain while idle.

UI changes are subtle but, again IMHO, pretty good.

Selective permissions for apps is nice as well.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
WiFi works fine and WiFi calling also works. There are a few areas where I do not get a Verizon signal but have WiFi, so I appreciate WiFi calling. And yes there are areas in the Northwest where there is no cell coverage by any of the carriers

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
WiFi works fine and WiFi calling also works. There are a few areas where I do not get a Verizon signal but have WiFi, so I appreciate WiFi calling. And yes there are areas in the Northwest where there is no cell coverage by any of the carriers

Didn't think about this until you mentioned it. Next time I'm on the Oregon Coast I'll actually be able to make phone calls instead of walking around until I find the perfect spot and try not to move at all until I'm done talking

babygirl0419

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm having trouble changing system font. The same font I was using before marshmallow is now not supported. All other fonts too.

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
6602.jpg

I hope this isn't an outlier but, in comparison, before marshmallow by the time I got to 2 hours sot I'd be down to 60% battery remaining. It would almost always be about 20% per 1 hour screen on time.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
We can now control app permissions.
We can optimize apps for battery.
After a reboot if you're using fingerprint as security, you have to enter a PIN.
Doze seems to work well.

I have no issues with wifi or fonts.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
There is no issue with my wifi. This update is amazing. As others have stated in other threads, the built in browser supports ad blocking (need to download 'adblock fast' separately and set it up in browser advanced settings) and it SMOKES Chrome. It is really fast not sure if it's the ad blocking or something else but I am sure it's my new mobille browser.

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
This was probably available all along, but I just found it and it helps a lot to see the attached images in the forums that are too small. Is there a way to make bigger? Anyway, go into accessibility settings, direct access, turn it on and turn on magnifier window. Three taps on home button brings up magnifier and you can see attached screen shots. Sorry, this was probably wrong place for this but it helps me see stuff and maybe some didn't know about this like me.

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
This may have also been true before update but I found it sort of interesting, kinda. When you look at the camera in recent apps, it shows the last thing your camera saw before you turned it off. So if you were gonna take a picture of something you shouldn't with someone else's phone and change your mind at the last second, there may still be a record of it

babygirl0419

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the fonts that came with it, currently using rosemary.
I also just installed Samsungsans, it works too.
I was using the iFont app and a couple of other apps before the update and they worked fine. Now none are supported. Obe of the apps even said it was updated to support 6.0.