Did AT&T overcharge me?

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I went to AT&T Store and got a bundle of

• $840 Galaxy Note 5 64Gb on Next Plan 24 bundled with "free" Gear G2
  • $45 Otterbox Symmetry
  • $30 iWalk 9H
  • $65 in taxes (after being discounted by $12 with activation)

I am curious if I could do better if I first researched it before impulse-buying like I did.

P.S. Heard some folks say that screen protector is next to useless, because the phone's glass is good enough. But then heard that screen protector reduces oil from showing up.

P.P.S Entire receipt:
$839.99 - phone
$199.99 - watch
$45.00 - case
-$6.75 - 15% off above
$30.00 - screen protector
-$4.50 - 15% off above
-----------------------
$263.74 - subtotal
-$200.00 - free watch
-$12.00 - tax discounts
$66.23 - sales tax
----------------------
$117.97 - total paid on the day of purchase

says "today you saved 333.25" - (not sure how they got this number)

Last edited:

waazzupppp

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you could do better, but I think you did OK if you don't mind spending $850 on a phone. I got mine on Verizon's Black Friday sale for $192.90 with a free Galaxy S6 for the wife. I did have to settle for the 32GB version for that $200 price tag, but I was pretty happy with it - and there's no contract to boot. It also cost me an old Sprint Galaxy SII (WiMax power baby!) but it was really just sitting in my drawer.

That said, you basically got a $150 watch for free, so that brings the phone down to an affordable $700 (if you were wanting the Gear) and just a $30 monthly payment... I think you did pretty darn good if you are ok with adding the monthly payment to your bill.

As far as the screen protectors go, I don't have nearly the problems with oil on the screen as I did with oils on the back. I bought a simple Ulak Clear Case for it that looks great with the gold (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5046685) and the Caseology Gold and Brown Case (Amazon.com: Galaxy Note 5 Case, Caseology® [Envoy Series] Premium Leather Bumper Cover [Carbon Fiber Black] [Leather Bound] for Samsung Galaxy Note 5 - Carbon Fiber Black: Cell Phones & Accessories) that both work very well for preventing my smuggy fingers from smearing all over that pretty back panel. I haven't had an issue with the screen, but the textured ones might help a bit with that. I wonder how well they hold up with the S-Pen though?

Congrats on the deal though and welcome to the family!

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I find that S-Pen flows better on the glass but I feels snaggy on the screen protector. I need to use more effort with the pen on the protector. I hope that does not damage the pen over long term use. Well I hope that doesn't contribute to Repetitive strain injury. I have a bit of a difficulty with over-use of my hands and having less effort is generally better for me.

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Overall I am happy with the phone.

Looking around I see I can purchase this phone used or next to new for much less than $840 and that gives me some grief. i.e .looking at Swappa site, $430, 510, $620 but not $840.

Also, Screen protector makes S-pen snag more than on the phone's glass as well, and fact that I cannot return screen protector makes me learn to do my research beforehand. (so I hope).

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
You'll always be able to save money buying it from ebay or Swappa or wherever. The reason I went with AT&T is simple: If there's a problem, I simply walk into the store and say, "Hey, this phone isn't working right."