Does anybody here use the 40% - 80% charge rule or just fully charge your Note 5?
    03-09-2016 06:04 PM
    What is this rule you speak of?
    03-09-2016 06:08 PM
    I just fully charge it. I wouldn't over think it

Posted via the Android Central App
    pinkvikchick, debdroid1a and hub1 like this.
    03-09-2016 06:16 PM
    I just fully charge it. I wouldn't over think it

Exactly. Old school rules no longer apply, if they ever did.
    I charge my phone whenever I want, I don't worry about battery life at all.
    debdroid1a, hub1 and pinkvikchick like this.
    03-09-2016 06:31 PM
    So can someone clutter meet in on the rule? I have never heard of this.
    03-09-2016 07:06 PM
    So can someone clutter meet in on the rule? I have never heard of this.
    The 40 - 80 rule is when you charge your phone between 40% and 80%. It's been proven to help with the battery, but as the users above said I also do think that batteries are much smarter now than how it used to be.

This is also one reason that your phone never comes fully charged out of the box. It's been proven by many experts. I myself follow this rule and I have to say it works.

It works on any device pretty much. Like with my laptop it improved the battery life...

With fast charge anyway this is easily achievable. Think of it as preventive maintenance for the battery ๐Ÿ‘
    03-10-2016 01:59 AM
    Fortunately, I've never owned a phone long enough to even notice a difference. I plop mine on a wireless fast charger when I'm at work and it's on a wireless all night. Still goes for 2 days, med usage when I'm on vacation or stranded on an island.
    debdroid1a and cwbcpa like this.
    03-10-2016 12:01 PM
    The 40 - 80 rule is when you charge your phone between 40% and 80%. It's been proven to help with the battery, but as the users above said I also do think that batteries are much smarter now than how it used to be.

This is also one reason that your phone never comes fully charged out of the box. It's been proven by many experts. I myself follow this rule and I have to say it works.

It works on any device pretty much. Like with my laptop it improved the battery life...

With fast charge anyway this is easily achievable. Think of it as preventive maintenance for the battery ๐Ÿ‘
    I charge over night and use all day. Don't have to worry about battery life.
    03-10-2016 07:26 PM
    I charge over night and use all day. Don't have to worry about battery life.
    It's okay now to charge overnight?
    03-11-2016 04:44 AM
    I've always charged overnight on every cellphone I've ever owned and never had any battery related issues.
    03-11-2016 05:33 AM
    Same as hub1. Charge overnight. No problems or concerns with battery life with this approach.
    03-11-2016 06:48 AM
    Same as hub1. Charge overnight. No problems or concerns with battery life with this approach.
    There used to be a rumour that overcharging could damage the battery
    03-11-2016 07:03 AM
    There used to be a rumour that overcharging could damage the battery
    That's totally false, the phone takes what it needs from the charger. The charger just supplies the power, hell even cheap car battery chargers are automated, have been for years now.

debdroid1a likes this.
    03-11-2016 09:57 PM
    Fortunately, I've never owned a phone long enough to even notice a difference. I plop mine on a wireless fast charger when I'm at work and it's on a wireless all night. Still goes for 2 days, med usage when I'm on vacation or stranded on an island.
    I use to, but with tmobile Jump On Demand I won't anymore. My dad has an S2 and it needs more charging when he uses it a lot, but it's not bad.

My old phones, close to the 2 year mark, would need more charging then usual because I never did anything to try to conserve battery life figuring I'd just get a new phone. I still don't do anything to conserve battery life. I want all functions for my phone available.

Posted via the *Note 5*
    pinkvikchick, hub1 and sweetypie31 like this.
    03-12-2016 07:59 AM
    As many have already suggested, I wouldn't over think the charging process. I throw mine on the charger when I go to sleep and then charge during the day as needed based on my use.
    03-12-2016 08:05 AM
    Freaking RIGHT!!! I won't shut ANYTHING off LOL...
    sweetypie31 likes this.
    03-12-2016 08:59 AM
    As many have already suggested, I wouldn't over think the charging process. I throw mine on the charger when I go to sleep and then charge during the day as needed based on my use.
    Thank you. This^^^

03-12-2016 01:32 PM
    No, don't. Unless you're okay with your battery losing 50% of it's capacity in about a year-year and a half. I intend on keeping my Note 5 for as long as possible (I went 3 solid years with a Note 2 and would have gone longer if Verizon didn't push me to upgrade and give up my unlimited data.) Since this device is completely sealed and swapping out batteries is a major hassle, you need that battery inside the device to last as long as possible. To that end, yes doing the 40-80 rule and never charging overnight will provide the healthiest battery for the longest time possible.

There are lot of people who just don't care, and that's fine for them, but to dismiss it as being meaningless (the above mentioned techniques) is just pure and simple "ignorance is bliss" mentality.
    03-12-2016 06:21 PM

There are lot of people who just don't care, and that's fine for them, but to dismiss it as being meaningless (the above mentioned techniques) is just pure and simple "ignorance is bliss" mentality.
    A lot if us on this forum know about battery usage. We just choose to use our phones differently then you. We are not ignorant. Just choose different ways.

I don't want to disable features or not have a fully charged phone. I prefer the security of it being fully charged. Besides it seems like a lot of work to me to have to keep an eye on the battery level.

Posted via the *Note 5*
    03-12-2016 06:29 PM
    The information below is the official Samsung guidance for how to "monitor and extend battery life". I don't see anything specific about 40%-80% or similar charging range/windows, and while I do see a comment about removing the phone from charger when full, charging overnight for me is the most practical and effective method possible.
    How can I monitor and extend battery life for my Samsung Galaxy Note5?
    03-13-2016 09:05 AM
    No, don't. Unless you're okay with your battery losing 50% of it's capacity in about a year-year and a half. I intend on keeping my Note 5 for as long as possible (I went 3 solid years with a Note 2 and would have gone longer if Verizon didn't push me to upgrade and give up my unlimited data.) Since this device is completely sealed and swapping out batteries is a major hassle, you need that battery inside the device to last as long as possible. To that end, yes doing the 40-80 rule and never charging overnight will provide the healthiest battery for the longest time possible.

Sorry but no, that's completely false.
    If that were the case, then samsung will have a lot of batteries to replace inside of that one year warranty. The GN5 has a lithium polymer battery, it has no memory effect meaning you can charge it whenever you want with no ill effects. Furthermore, it's the phone that controls the charging circuit, the charger just supplies power. If you leave it to charge all night, the phone will stop charging once it hits full. That's it, that's all there is to it. You can follow your silly charging rules all day, and it won't make a damn bit of difference.

jlost likes this.
    03-14-2016 08:32 PM
    Believe it or not, Samsung actually recommends 50 - 90% charging, and to not leave it on the charger (see Samsung article below). I started looking into this because my S7's battery capacity has dropped from it's original capacity of 3000 mAh to 2300 mAh after 14 months of use. I was of the "leave it on the charger all the time" school of thought too. Kind of a bummer...

http://techlife.samsung.com/tips-kee...rged-1059.html
    socal and Pokey08 like this.
    10-30-2017 03:49 PM
    Believe it or not, Samsung actually recommends 50 - 90% charging, and to not leave it on the charger (see Samsung article below). I started looking into this because my S7's battery capacity has dropped from it's original capacity of 3000 mAh to 2300 mAh after 14 months of use. I was of the "leave it on the charger all the time" school of thought too. Kind of a bummer...

http://techlife.samsung.com/tips-kee...rged-1059.html
    How did you find your battery's current capacity?
    11-18-2017 02:04 PM