I thought it might be helpful to establish a list of new features and other changes after upgrading to Marshmallow that have not been widely discussed (such as Doze, Google Now on tap and other major changes that everyone seems to already know about). I am on Verizon, but I assume these will apply to other carriers as well. Please add to this list as I am not by any means an expert in these matters:

Stock email search is greatly improved. Allows for easy searching by from, to, subject or all. Seems much faster too.

Stock email now allows for looking at the thread (even if you are not set up for conversation view), but clicking the "thread" button on the lower right.

Shutting down the phone is far faster than before.

I could be imagining this, but with a case on, I used to get wireless charging to work only about 1/2 of the time and often had to remove the case to get it to connect (using the Samsung branded white standard wireless puck). It now goes into wireless charging quickly 100% of the time with the case on.

While not a new feature, it's worth noting that at least for me, I believe battery life is improved, although I never had any complaints about battery life coming from a Moto X
    Devin Doucet likes this.
    03-12-2016 09:34 AM
    Does anyone know if the Marshamallow upgrade has fixed the "default app" issue? Does it now ask if I want to "always" or "only this time" open something with a certain app?
    Trees likes this.
    03-12-2016 10:56 AM
    I thought it might be helpful to establish a list of new features and other changes after upgrading to Marshmallow that have not been widely discussed (such as Doze, Google Now on tap and other major changes that everyone seems to already know about). I am on Verizon, but I assume these will apply to other carriers as well. Please add to this list as I am not by any means an expert in these matters:

Stock email search is greatly improved. Allows for easy searching by from, to, subject or all. Seems much faster too.

Stock email now allows for looking at the thread (even if you are not set up for conversation view), but clicking the "thread" button on the lower right.

I could be imagining this, but with a case on, I used to get wireless charging to work only about 1/2 of the time and often had to remove the case to get it to connect (using the Samsung branded white standard wireless puck). It now goes into wireless charging quickly 100% of the time with the case on.

While not a new feature, it's worth noting that at least for me, I believe battery life is improved, although I never had any complaints about battery life coming from a Moto X
    Thanks for mentioning the wireless charger, I had given up on it. Before I had to find the perfect position at the perfect angle and it would still stop half the time. After reading this, I tried it out for the heck of it. I just plopped the phone down at a funky angle and it worked perfectly
    03-12-2016 12:29 PM
    Thanks for mentioning the wireless charger, I had given up on it. Before I had to find the perfect position at the perfect angle and it would still stop half the time. After reading this, I tried it out for the heck of it. I just plopped the phone down at a funky angle and it worked perfectly
    Strange that a software update would correct this, I would have thought that it was a physical issue, but like yours, mine now works every time without having to position it just so.
    03-12-2016 12:31 PM
    Does anyone know if the Marshamallow upgrade has fixed the "default app" issue? Does it now ask if I want to "always" or "only this time" open something with a certain app?
    Good reminder about the feature that used to be there on older TouchWiz versions. I just tried with a PDF that I had previously downloaded and saved to the Downloads folder. Since I previously chose to use Google Drive PDF viewer as the default for PDF apps, I was not prompted with an "always or only this time" prompt.

Once the PDF was opened, though, I was able to click on the three vertical dots in the upper right hand screen and then have the option to select "Open with..." and then options for Dropbox, Write on PDF, and Hancom Office Viewer appeared in a new dialog box at the screen bottom. I have not tried to change my default PDF viewer yet, though.
    Rafael Bernardes likes this.
    03-13-2016 09:21 AM
    It does once again work on my Verizon Note 5 after the Marshmallow update. And I like it being back.
    03-13-2016 02:02 PM
    Don't know if this is really "less obvious" but it's certainly less talked about than improvements like Doze.

The fingerprint reader is much faster and far more accurate.

I understand that in this release, the fingerprint functionality moved from a Samsung software feature, to native Android. I still have the occasional problem due to my excessively dry skin, but overall, fingerprint recognition is now immediate. Nice!
    bluemoongreg likes this.
    03-14-2016 07:09 AM

I never liked stock email and the Note 5 was no exception. Seemed like whenever I opened the app it refreshed and late in retrieving many emails. Part of the issue may be because i have 5 email accounts. In any case I always revert back to Maildroid or Cloud Magic or any of the other solid stand bys that have stood the test of time.
    03-14-2016 07:20 AM