03-17-2016 06:01 AM
51 123
tools
    So if I were to buy an S7 (not the Edge) would it be basically considered a step backwards from a Note 5 which I currently have? Is it with spending more $$? Besides water resistant are there any real gains going to an S7?

If I'm interested in an S7 would I be better to wait and see what the LG g5 is like?
    03-13-2016 07:52 PM
    Do you use the S Pen? If you don't then go for it ....
    debdroid1a likes this.
    03-13-2016 07:58 PM
    I can't say the S7 is a downgrade at all, but to me the S series and the Note series are not equals.
    03-13-2016 07:58 PM
    I bought a Note 5 in January and could not wait for the S7 Edge to come out. I bought the S7 Edge and now I am using the S7 Edge as my daily phone. I left the Note 5 home for the first time last week when I went to work and used the S7 Edge.

I don't miss anything about the Note 5 other then the battery life and I rarely used the S Pen. Their are only small differences in the sizes of the displays very similar to the differences between last years Note 5 and Note Edge. The Note Edge display was just a bit smaller as well.

I'm still keeping both phones
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-13-2016 08:23 PM
    In my case it would be a downgrade. No Spen, smaller screen, same RAM, smaller internal memory. Only plus to S7 is battery size. These phones were made for different audiences.
    03-13-2016 08:24 PM
    The screen size on the s& edge is only slightly smaller, very similar to what the Note 4 and Note Edge display differences were. They were just only slightly different but not enough to miss the bigger display on the Note 4.

I bought my Note 5 in January and now have two S7 Edge phones (one was cancelled but they sent it anyways). I left the Note 5 home all this week for the first time and just brought my S7 Edge with me. Didn't miss the Note 5 once.

The 32GB storage doesn't matter on the S7 Edge now because I have a 200GB SD card in it.
    03-13-2016 08:34 PM
    I can't say the S7 is a downgrade at all, but to me the S series and the Note series are not equals.
    Why would you say that?
    03-13-2016 08:57 PM
    The screen size on the s& edge is only slightly smaller,

I personally think its a lot smaller than note 5s display. Thats the only thing thats keeping me away from getting s7 edge so far. Oh and also the s pen. I think i would probably be able to live without the s pen. But May be not coz i use it all the time. But the screen size i am not gna go down to a smaller screen now.

But everything else about the edge is perfect.

But as this post is about s7 and not the s7 edge. I would say that the inclusion of sd card slot and water resistance is a big plus as these 2 features r missing from note 5. Unless ur ok with ur memory on note 5 i dnt think s7 is worth the extra $s. Cz u ll be missing out the screen size and the s pen features. And i personally feelnote 5 looks a lot better than the s7.

S7 edge may be yeah cz of the big battery n edge display.

Love my Note 5
    03-13-2016 09:12 PM
    I personally think its a lot smaller than note 5s display. Thats the only thing thats keeping me away from getting s7 edge so far. Oh and also the s pen. I think i would probably be able to live without the s pen. But May be not coz i use it all the time. But the screen size i am not gna go down to a smaller screen now.

Love my Note 5
    Here's the side by side between the two:

Buying a S7 a downgrade from a Note 5?-img_0100.jpg
    03-13-2016 09:15 PM
    Why would you say that?
    Smaller, no s-pen, action memo, screen write, off screen memo, s-note, which you probably have or can get on the s series, but without the s-pen it isn't as robust.
    As someone already said, the 2 series are made for different audiences.
    debdroid1a and linkiik121 like this.
    03-13-2016 09:20 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	819.4 KB 
ID:	220165
    U were so quick to prove ur point there. Lol
    Well when i gt to play about with the s7 edge at samsung store recently .. to me it just felt alot smaller. And it didn't feel wide as note 5 cz of the edges it doesn't look or even feel tht wide wen ur watching videos on it and thats a minus for me . It kinda felt weird to me. Thats y i was a lil disappointed

But yeah i think the note 5 wins on screen size and s pen features. And s7 on its external storage and water resistance ability. Apart from tht thy both r great devices

Love my Note 5
    debdroid1a and BergerKing like this.
    03-13-2016 09:20 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	819.4 KB 
ID:	220165
    You can defiant the difference in this picture. Note 5 screen is bigger.
    03-14-2016 07:03 AM
    No one is saying it isn't.
    03-14-2016 07:05 AM
    Just for something different, the S7 Edge display compared to last years Note Edge, they're about the same size.

Buying a S7 a downgrade from a Note 5?-img_0113-copy.jpg
    thangbithit likes this.
    03-14-2016 07:11 AM
    Both seem like excellent phones. If you have the cash then buying both is a nice luxury. As for me, I have the 64 gb version of 5 and use the S-Pen alot on a widget.So the scard isn't going to do me any good. Being an owner of the Notes 2/3/5 I'll wait to see what the 6 has to offer in the fall.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    03-14-2016 07:25 AM
    The Note 5's screen is bigger but the s7 Edge screen is more immersive, watching videos on it feels like the screen is bigger than it is and it's a better experience than the Note 5
    03-14-2016 07:29 AM
    Not really downgrading, but you don't need to go to s7 edge from note 5

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-14-2016 03:21 PM
    Not really downgrading, but you don't need to go to s7 edge from note 5

I wouldn't. The edge harder to find good cases, cost a lot more, and it's too narrow for my liking. If I were to get a S7 it would be the standard S7 but the S7 besides water resistant just doesn't offer much more than the Note 5 does.
    03-14-2016 03:34 PM
    The Note 5's screen is bigger but the s7 Edge screen is more immersive, watching videos on it feels like the screen is bigger than it is and it's a better experience than the Note 5
    How is this possible? I definitely notice the missing space.

03-14-2016 06:09 PM
    So if I were to buy an S7 (not the Edge) would it be basically considered a step backwards from a Note 5 which I currently have? Is it with spending more $$? Besides water resistant are there any real gains going to an S7?

If I'm interested in an S7 would I be better to wait and see what the LG g5 is like?
    Definitely not! I just upgraded to the S7 Edge from my Note 5 64gb. Love it. Fits better in my hands, screen is sharp like the Note 5. Lots of memory. Way way better battery life as well. Overall it is a better phone.
    03-14-2016 07:09 PM

But as this post is about s7 and not the s7 edge. I would say that the inclusion of sd card slot and water resistance is a big plus as these 2 features r missing from note 5. Unless ur ok with ur memory on note 5 i dnt think s7 is worth the extra $s. Cz u ll be missing out the screen size and the s pen features. And i personally feelnote 5 looks a lot better than the s7.

S7 edge may be yeah cz of the big battery n edge display.

Love my Note 5
    Wow dude, definitely far from being smaller than a Note 5. They are almost the same size screen. .2 difference is barely noticeable. What you are noticing is the size of the phone itself is much more compact than the Note 5. The design is much better.
    03-14-2016 07:11 PM
    Smaller, no s-pen, action memo, screen write, off screen memo, s-note, which you probably have or can get on the s series, but without the s-pen it isn't as robust.
    As someone already said, the 2 series are made for different audiences.
    S7 Edge = Better Camera, Better Battery, Expandable memory (200gb SD card), more compact design with only .2 difference in screen size. Better processor, better antennas, Flush button and camera mounts. The only thing the Note 5 has is the s-pen over this phone period. The S7 Edge kills the Note 5 otherwise.
    03-14-2016 07:13 PM
    S7 Edge = Better Camera, Better Battery, Expandable memory (200gb SD card), more compact design with only .2 difference in screen size. Better processor, better antennas, Flush button and camera mounts. The only thing the Note 5 has is the s-pen over this phone period. The S7 Edge kills the Note 5 otherwise.
    Again, they are made for different audiences. I don't miss the sdcard. I have everything on my internal storage that I want and still have 20 GB free.
    All of the better things you mentioned are completely subjective. Faster cpu means nothing if you don't notice, I have yet to max out my cpu so more is wasteful. It's the same as people thinking more megapixels automatically means better camera, news flash, it doesn't, and I'm not saying the S7 has more megapixels, just making a point.

Battery, I don't understand why people are so obsessed with battery life. So many people claim to be power users, but my phone is my PC.
    I do everything on my phone including my taxes, so no matter what size battery you put in it, I'm still going to charge my phone because there is no reason not to charge it. I have no reason to see how long my phone will last on a single charge. My laptop won't last for days if I unplug it and neither will my phone.

Flush button and camera? Really? I couldn't care less. Neither my button nor my camera has ever gotten in my way.

As for the s-pen being the only thing over the S7, it goes hand in hand with the other features I mentioned (s-note, action memo, screen write, etc), therefore the s-pen isn't a singular entity.
    AlexMarie15 likes this.
    03-14-2016 08:44 PM
    The S pen is everything (for me). Won't get a phone without it.
    03-14-2016 10:23 PM
    couldn't have said it any better Novice. Ive had nearly every Note series phone minus the first generation. And Ive been more than happy with the N5. My family has owned just about every iteration of the S series line with members currently having the S6 edge, S6 edge+, and the most recent S7 edge. I will say that the S7 edge has some sex appeal with those curves. Honestly though, the addition of expandable memory and a bigger battery doesn't matter to me and it possibly never will. As well as the water proof rating but I won't even get into that whole debacle. When it boils down to which one I would take with me on vacation when I leave the country, a weekend expedition away from school and home, or even a 16 hour long haul of note taking, writing term papers, and multiple language exchange chats with foreign friends. I can't find myself using a device without the s-pen. I already have a travelers notebook and pen fused to my body and I don't see myself giving up that s-pen anytime soon. So if you don't really tinker around with the s-pen on a daily basis, or at the least every couple days. Don't even bother with a N5 and go fetch yourself a S7 edge.

I thought I would give my two cents worth of input on the whole bigger battery life, and expandable memory ordeal. Im a big time power user, I would have to say that my N5 gets charges 3 to 4 times minimum. And thats being on the generous side if I had to tell the truth. Samsung could probably jam a 6000mAh battery in the next flagship and I'll burn through it faster than ever. Ive always been the type of person to have several external batteries in my backpack along with a wall charger for good measure. Even expandable memory is going to be external since I don't necessarily need to carry 100+ GBs of music, videos, documents, etc. with me at all times. Especially if my battery power will be long gone before I can even get around to shifting through all of those GBs of whatever I find myself needing to carry around. Thats why I don't bother with expandable memory cards for phones. I can just carry a 1TB slim pocket sized SSD external drive right next to my handful of external batteries and never had to worry or complain about the next generation cell phone not having enough of either one of the two, or even both for that matter. I just thought I would ramble on about this since I was in the mood to jabber jaw. :-)
    03-14-2016 10:44 PM
51 123