OK Google says "offline"

wendemi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have been having problems with OK google and it seems to have started after updating to Marshmallow. 90% of the time, when I say "OK Google" I get a screen message saying "offline" and giving me sample offline commands I can use. Yet I have a very good connection whether Wi-Fi or Cellular data. Any ideas what can be causing this? I have retrained my voice as suggested somewhere but it didn't change anything.

Edit: when I try Now on Tap, it says "Google now cannot be reached at the moment".

Posted via the Android Central App

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like Google Now may have been temporarily unavailable. I've had this happen a few times recently, and like you had good network connection.

I just realized that Google Now on Tap was not turned on in Settings. Enabled it, so will use it for a while and see if that surfaces any problems.

CocoaBeachDan

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same, or similar problem with my Galaxy S6. It started after the update to Android 6. VERY annoying. I turned off the "power saving mode" and now it seems to function properly, but now my battery will not last all day.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Make sure location is on and date/time are correct. Don't just assume, actually check them against a known good source.

Magicfan33

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I have been having problems with OK google and it seems to have started after updating to Marshmallow. 90% of the time, when I say "OK Google" I get a screen message saying "offline" and giving me sample offline commands I can use. Yet I have a very good connection whether Wi-Fi or Cellular data. Any ideas what can be causing this? I have retrained my voice as suggested somewhere but it didn't change anything.

Edit: when I try Now on Tap, it says "Google now cannot be reached at the moment".

Is your S voice disabled? I found that it caused my ok google to say offline all the time, when it was disabled.

fahtas

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem. I have to ask ok google twice. First time says I'm offline whether I'm on wifi or mobile. the second time works. Very annoying.

ashley3689

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Were you able to find a solution? I tried disabling S Voice, turning on/off Wifi/Bluetooth, and turning on the tap thing but it still isn't working for me. :'(

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Problem occurred again for me a few times this week. I didn't make any changes to phone settings, and had good mobile network signal. Could be that the Google Now service was having intermittent problems.

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
This also happened to me... For over 9 weeks I couldn't use my " ok google" ...kept.. saying offline.. but I had 4G LTE .. and wifi.. to fix it.. I went into my phone "settings" .then went into the "applications" tab.. drop down to "google app" then .. you need to clear everything! Google cache.. google search history.. Browser history.. saved data.. Even your home screen data.. after clearing everything.. make sure you have all the settings correct.. Then boom it should work fine...

asommers815

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
This also happened to me... For over 9 weeks I couldn't use my " ok google" ...kept.. saying offline.. but I had 4G LTE .. and wifi.. to fix it.. I went into my phone "settings" .then went into the "applications" tab.. drop down to "google app" then .. you need to clear everything! Google cache.. google search history.. Browser history.. saved data.. Even your home screen data.. after clearing everything.. make sure you have all the settings correct.. Then boom it should work fine...

Power Saving mode causes this. In Power Saving settings, you have to turn off "restrict background data".

greenguyali

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
mine is a Galaxy s6. I check and the Restrict Background data option is disabled for Google App but I still have this issue. I noticed one behavior though. If i turn off the screen with the Power saver on, and then after like 5 to 6 seconds, i turn the screen back on and say Okay Google, it recognizes text but says Offline check your connection. But When I turn off the power save and repeat the same test again, it returns the results fine.

I noticed one another behavior. If I am on Skype or Viber and I put the phone close to my ear for speaking, the data connection is lost and then eventually the call drops. So, for me it seems to be happening in the Power Saver mode and after the display goes off. Is there any setting anywhere on a Galaxy S6 Edge Plus that says turn off data when screen is off? Perhaps I need to check that one. :(

Last edited:

greenguyali

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
I think I found the solution,,, well, atleast to my scenario.

1. Go to settings
2. Tap Battery
3. Tap Battery Usage
4.Tap ''More'' on top right corner
5. Select Optimize Battery Usage
6.Select All Apps from the drop down menu
7. Go to the app you are having issue with and then slide the button next to it to 'Off'

Google Voice Search seems to be working fine now

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

My wife and i have the note 5. We both updated to marshmallow. I and find in this regard and she gets the same exact thing your get. Any help?

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Problem occurred again for me a few times this week. I didn't make any changes to phone settings, and had good mobile network signal. Could be that the Google Now service was having intermittent problems.
Nope as my wife can't do it, but i can and we have the same phone and update.

Lamby44POD

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site

It worked! I have been fighting this problem for so long. The Chrome talk to text works, but if i used the Google widget, it always said I was offline. It was incredibly annoying.
Clearing the cache works too, but only temporary.

Hopefully this is a permanent fix!

Thanks for the help!

Simone Rogers

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site

When okay Google starts to listen I have to say okay Google again then ask my question or it tells me I am offline. Hope you got this resolved!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz