S-Pen with Drive/Docs...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Never noticed this before the new update to Google Drive, further integrating Google Docs into Drive...

When I choose to "edit" a doc, wherever I drop the cursor with the S-Pen, the cursor inserts at the proper point, for a second, then jumps to some other random area on the doc page. Happens continuously. The S-Pen seems to be inadvertently registering locations as the S-Pen is removed from the screen, making it totally unusable. Had to use my finger to edit a doc. How archaic!

Any ideas?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I just tested, it does jump freely doesn't it?
It's like the pen thinks it's touching the screen while hovering. I had better results if I held it in place for a few seconds.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I reinstalled an older version of Google Drive and a very old version of Google docs, it still does it.

I searched online and this has been the same since 2013.

Last edited:

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Tried to duplicate the problem, but so far the cursor appears to stay where I put it after using the S Pen tip and tapping on the screen in various locations. Only tried with one Google Doc, so maybe not enough time to replicate - or I'm not using the S Pen the way that causes the problem. I'm on Marshmallow and the latest Google Docs and Drive versions. Think a Google Docs update came out yesterday.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes - I am using the latest versions of these apps. Specifically here's the usage scenario...

I open a GDoc. On the first line of text, I insert the cursor, using the S-Pen, as if I wanted to insert a word or make a correction.
As soon as I lift the S-Pen - it doesn't matter how fast, or in which direction - the cursor flies off to another location on the page.
Happens 100% of the time for me.

In researching this, there is history of this issue that goes back years. I agree with a previous poster on this point.

Maybe it's just a funky intersection of Google and Samsung that neither want to address.
For me, it means using my finger at times when working in GDocs.
Kinda dopey, IMO.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I figured it out. The problem is only with some extensions. If the file is .txt or .doc the problem occurs, if it's .docx, no problem.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I figured it out. The problem is only with some extensions. If the file is .txt or .doc the problem occurs, if it's .docx, no problem.

What? Cool! I'll try this out and report back.

Update: reporting back...
The doc I am using for this test is a native Google Doc. I'll try some of my other docs, which might be in various formats, to see if it makes a diff.

Another update: reporting back again...
For me, using a MM VZW N5 with no issues, .txt, doc, and docx work perfectly. It's just Google Docs that exhibit the "jumping around the screen" behavior with the S-Pen.

Still sucks.

Might be different for other users.

Thanks to the poster above that brought file format into question. Good sleuthing!

Last edited: