Switching Sprint Note 5 to Straight Talk!?!

BUDz Clark

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I have a new Sprint Samsung Note 5 and I'm trying to figure out if I would be able to switch the Note 5 from Sprint to StraightTalk. I have the IMEI and MEID if that helps. I called straight talk but the phone is activated on the sprint network so they can't tell me if it qualifies for Straight Talks BYOP program until its unactivated from sprint. So can anyone tell me if its possible? Please and thanks so much for trying to help me

jmy7213

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much the only compatible phones eligible for the ST BYOP program are required to be gsm phones. The Note 5 (even though it has a sim card for data) is a CDMA phone. CDMA phones wont work as they cant use ST network sim cards.

waazzupppp

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a new Sprint Samsung Note 5 and I'm trying to figure out if I would be able to switch the Note 5 from Sprint to StraightTalk. I have the IMEI and MEID if that helps. I called straight talk but the phone is activated on the sprint network so they can't tell me if it qualifies for Straight Talks BYOP program until its unactivated from sprint. So can anyone tell me if its possible? Please and thanks so much for trying to help me

Most Sprint devices are good to go on MVNOs. You can check TING or RingPlus even if the device is active. The most common issue is if Sprint still has the financial lock on the phone. A call to Sprint will clear that in about an hour.

Soylent_Green

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much the only compatible phones eligible for the ST BYOP program are required to be gsm phones. The Note 5 (even though it has a sim card for data) is a CDMA phone. CDMA phones wont work as they cant use ST network sim cards.

He is only missing band 17 for LTE on the Sprint Note 5, his phone would work fine otherwise pending it is unlocked.

Moedirty

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site

Moedirty

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Just go to ebay get it unlocked...and you are free to use what ever carrier you want. Sent from my unlocked sprint note 5 on straight talk/ verizon. Just purchase a nano sim and activate it...imie not necessary...

cfclay

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Most Sprint devices are good to go on MVNOs. You can check TING or RingPlus even if the device is active. The most common issue is if Sprint still has the financial lock on the phone. A call to Sprint will clear that in about an hour.
I just tried to sell my unlocked sprint phone last week to a a guy with Ringplus who couldn't activate online. It was after hours so he couldn't call customer service either. My phone was not in service and unlocked per our call to sprint.

cfclay

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I believe this to be the case also, I second this motion. My out of contract and Note 5 will not work on StraightTalk. I just called them to validate that.

cfclay

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
1d5696e2453800c1d1733fe7802d45be.jpg

Let's be a little more clear, or try to find the correct answer in case someone else is looking at this post for answers. I have in my hand the second FEC clean and clear Note 5 I have sold this month that will not activate to Ring Plus.

Isn't this because of a policy that Sprint has that a phone has to be used in a Sprint contract for a minimum 12 months or something like that before it can be used on a MNVO?

waazzupppp

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Sorry you're having such a PITA with this one. I activated a NIB HTC One M9 on Ring Plus by contacting Sprint and having them clear the FEC (which also cleared the FED info) and had zero issues with it. They just need to clear the MEID/IMEI from the system so it will work. The 12 month rule is a good thing to follow, but if you don't have a Sprint account, there's legally nothing they can do short of refunding you the full purchase price of the phone or releasing it.

flychinook

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160410/1d5696e2453800c1d1733fe7802d45be.jpg
Isn't this because of a policy that Sprint has that a phone has to be used in a Sprint contract for a minimum 12 months or something like that before it can be used on a MNVO?

IIRC, it's 50 days. Of course that's just one of the requirements, any contract / installment billing agreement / lease would also have to be cleared, and the account can't be delinquent. THEN Sprint can submit the unlock.

cfclay

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
IIRC, it's 50 days. Of course that's just one of the requirements, any contract / installment billing agreement / lease would also have to be cleared, and the account can't be delinquent. THEN Sprint can submit the unlock.
Respectfully, someone is giving the wrong info some where. Called Sprint to ask them what the issue would be- account is paid, contract and phone are clear, they gave me MSL for both phones. Bottom line is straight talk said it wouldnt work. Who is going to buy a premium phone and try it to possibly be wrong and out of luck?

So....I have to ask for clarification, do you sir/ma'am have in your possession a Sprint Note 5 that you are using on straight talk??

flychinook

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Respectfully, someone is giving the wrong info some where. Called Sprint to ask them what the issue would be- account is paid, contract and phone are clear, they gave me MSL for both phones. Bottom line is straight talk said it wouldnt work. Who is going to buy a premium phone and try it to possibly be wrong and out of luck?

So....I have to ask for clarification, do you sir/ma'am have in your possession a Sprint Note 5 that you are using on straight talk??

No, I don't. But I am a CSR for Sprint Wireless business care, and have done more than a few of these unlocks.

The issue may be that you're getting the MSL. MSL was used for unlocking older devices. You would take the phone and MSL to the new carrier, and they would decide whether or not to unlock it for use on their network. New phones require a DSU unlock, which is done directly by Sprint. If you need to educate the rep, the tool we use is called DNA2. They will enter the phone's MSID into DNA2, and it will let the rep know right away if the unlock was successful. If it is, you just make sure the phone is powered on and in a Sprint coverage area for about an hour for it to receive the unlock signal. If DNA2 says the phone is not financially eligible for unlock (but, as you say, there is no contract or IB/Lease agreement against the phone), they will have to submit a ticket to have the unlock eligibility corrected. This ticket takes 1-2 days to process. Then the unlock can be done.

cfclay

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
No, I don't. But I am a CSR for Sprint Wireless business care, and have done more than a few of these unlocks.

The issue may be that you're getting the MSL. MSL was used for unlocking older devices. You would take the phone and MSL to the new carrier, and they would decide whether or not to unlock it for use on their network. New phones require a DSU unlock, which is done directly by Sprint. If you need to educate the rep, the tool we use is called DNA2. They will enter the phone's MSID into DNA2, and it will let the rep know right away if the unlock was successful. If it is, you just make sure the phone is powered on and in a Sprint coverage area for about an hour for it to receive the unlock signal. If DNA2 says the phone is not financially eligible for unlock (but, as you say, there is no contract or IB/Lease agreement against the phone), they will have to submit a ticket to have the unlock eligibility corrected. This ticket takes 1-2 days to process. Then the unlock can be done.
Thanks flyChinook, stick a fork in the issue folks- sounds like it is done!

Good to know process, sure would have increased the value of the phones I had!

flychinook

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks flyChinook, stick a fork in the issue folks- sounds like it is done!

Good to know process, sure would have increased the value of the phones I had!

No problem. Something I should have added earlier (I didn't read and notice that you're a reseller, not that there's anything wrong with that) we are supposed to authenticate the account to do a DSU unlock. So you may need the Sprint account owner's PIN to do this.

cfclay

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
No problem. Something I should have added earlier (I didn't read and notice that you're a reseller, not that there's anything wrong with that) we are supposed to authenticate the account to do a DSU unlock. So you may need the Sprint account owner's PIN to do this.
I was the owner and seller. I was just buying lo and trying to sell high, but I used the phones until I sold them.

lyrp lyphe

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site

wrong they offer a 4g CDMA LTE SIM visit STBYOP.com

Kduplantis

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site

Is there a way top unlock the phone yourself?