Is 12 hours battery time normal?

A

AC Question

Hi, for some reason my Note 5's battery life is only 12hours and 50mins from full charge. I have to charge it twice a day. Before I never had to charge it twice a day - only once a day. My note 5 is the SM-N9208 (Dual Sim 64GB Silver), Android Marshmallow has not been released for it yet. Is there something wrong with my battery? I bought the phone from an eBay UK seller and PayPal's buyer protection period ends for me in 2 days so I need some advice quick. In addition, the fast charging seems to have stopped working with my charger - I am using a UK travel adapter because the fast charger is 2 pin. I appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this. Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Are you using a genuine Samsung charger, or a 3rd party one?

Hayat55

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Are you using a genuine Samsung charger, or a 3rd party one?

Here is the screenshot when my battery is at 33% (Screen On time is 2hrs and 19 mins), I am using a geniuine smasung fast charger that came with the phone but it is 2-pin and I live in the UK so I am using a travel adapter with it
Screenshot_2016-03-28-12-43-16.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you show any of the other data that I suggested? It'd be helpful to know what kind of cell signal you're getting throughout the day. Poor cell signal is notorious for draining the battery.

ramiss

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same issue since the Verizon Marshmallow update. This is what confuses the heck outta me.. Why does my Screen On Time= 1.5 hrs and Android CPU = 35 min??? Was the cpu not working for an hour of that time?

God I miss Better Battery Stats on a rooted phone. I just feel like the Android Battery Stats are complete BS.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue since the Verizon Marshmallow update. This is what confuses the heck outta me.. Why does my Screen On Time= 1.5 hrs and Android CPU = 35 min??? Was the cpu not working for an hour of that time?

God I miss Better Battery Stats on a rooted phone. I just feel like the Android Battery Stats are complete BS.

GSam Battery Monitor may be something to consider. I find that it helps to provide the "double-click" details compared to what the default Settings/Battery can provide.

I am also on Verizon with the Marshmallow update. Can easily get 15+ hrs on average. This varies with Screen on Time, app usage, and cell signal strength (as B. Diddy noted above).

waazzupppp

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to say, "Yes, it's normal, for how YOU use it." With 6% of your usage coming from Facebook, that would mean just cutting that App out would increase your battery life from 12 hours to 13+ hours. Adding another like Instagram, or Messenger, or Twitter and you instantly get out to 14 hours. For me, I get 15 hours pretty typically...

Screenshot_20160329-125534.jpg

This is a pretty typical day so far for me, and when I know I'll need it later into the evening, I give it a quick top off before I leave work at 5 for the day. I unhook between 5-6 AM, run through about 4PM, give it that top up and then make it to 10 PM pretty easily. I use a quick charger at home and a standard one at work. I should probably swap them to give me a bigger boost at work, but I haven't yet. I have the VZW version running the 6.0 update.

Anyone else doing about 15 hours on average without using extended modes?

ramiss

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Ok, but 12 to 15 hours is pretty pitiful when I used to get 20+ hours on my Note 2 with all the same stuff running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome