Note 5 - Screen Timeout. What can I do?

A

AC Question

Note 5 - Screen Timeout

Hello,

I have a Note 5, and it's been great, until yesterday.

As of yesterday,the screen timeout is ignoring the setting of 30 seconds, or 1 minute and is timing out in 5-10 seconds. Smart stay thankfully with keep the screen on if I'm looking at it, but it's not bulletproof since I wear glasses and a ball cap.

I don't know what to do. If I'm looking at photos, or browsing the web, etc, the screen will time-out after 5-10 seconds. It dims, and cuts out almost simultaneously.

I've not installed any new apps, dropped the phone, changed cases, applied a screen protector, etc. Nothing is different than the day before.

Please help!

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 5 - Screen Timeout

Welcome to the forums. Have you tried a reboot? Yes, the changes should stick without it, but perhaps there is a slight error that a reboot will clear.

kway_NY

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
If your not encrypted, change your login to swipe, you may have to turn off some administrators and trust agents( follow on screen Tips). Set your display time to 3 min or what you want and reboot. Then change login to finger or what ever you use. It may take a couple times but works for me.

If encrypted, ( I am now) the best I can get is one minute because you must use at least FP to login and change to swipe. I try a change next time it happens. Hope this helps you, let us know if it works for you..

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Is there a ceiling fan or other constantly moving object near/behind your or in the direction that the phone will interpret as you and try to keep Smart Stay on? I had this happen to me on the S3 or Note 2 and took a while to figure out what was happening. The phone was sitting horizontally on my desk and above that is a ceiling fan in our office area. Smart Stay kept the screen on while it was "looking at" the fan moving.

It's been a few years since, and Smart Stay has likely improved how it interprets and reacts to non-human objects, so the above is probably unlikely now.

hamirick

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I'm the OP. Registered now.

Power saving is not on. My device is encrypted, but the screen isn't staying on for a minute (it's set for 3 minutes), it's staying on for 5 seconds, and then going off. This is so frustrating.

I tried changing lockscreen to pattern, changing time out duration, rebooting. Didn't work. Re-enabled fingerprint, rebooted, didn't work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

novice

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Note 5 - Screen Timeout

I'm unclear about your problem. Have you done a factory reset. If not, you're gonna have to do it.

Have you chosen the option of setting the time out for each increment including 10 minutes? Kinda radical, it might not work but if it's driving you crazy you might give it a shot. This would force you to turn the screen on and off while you're using the phone, of course.

Finally, under development options there's a setting which keeps the screen on during charging. Don't have a clue what the consequences would be of throwing this switch. Sort of a last ditch effort.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech