Can't get past the "checking connection" portion. Popped the sim out and back in -- tells me "can't connect to the internet". I'm on wifi. I know there are issues..

I updated to Marshmallow Friday morning. I did not hard reset before. The weekend was awful... 1% battery drain PER MINUTE. So I made it through the weekend (at a conference, didn't have time to hard reset with all the BS that goes with it) - today my wifi was acting up, combined with all the other "issues" since the update, I thought I should just hard reset. I DID clear the cache before this (according to articles I have read) -- but am looking for some links if anyone would be so generous to share, for how/what to do here.

Thanks!
    04-07-2016 03:55 PM
    I hate to say it, but the few times an update screwed up my phone a FDR was the answer.
    04-07-2016 04:57 PM
    I hate to say it, but the few times an update screwed up my phone a FDR was the answer.
    I did that. And was in the process of setting it back up. I had to boot into recovery mode, but it's been a while since I rooted a phone, so I didn't know how. Once that happened, it wanted to connect to wifi so I let it .. duh. Now I'm all set back up with NO apps except what's on the ROM. Not positive the battery issue has changed.
    04-07-2016 05:51 PM
    Has the "checking connection" problem been resolved? Does the "checking connection" message appear when WiFi is off? After the factory reset it may take some time for the phone to settle in after setting it up to sync with your Google account, so there could be some system resource utilization that will use battery. Beyond that is the Note 5 working well?
    04-08-2016 06:10 AM
    Has the "checking connection" problem been resolved? Does the "checking connection" message appear when WiFi is off? After the factory reset it may take some time for the phone to settle in after setting it up to sync with your Google account, so there could be some system resource utilization that will use battery. Beyond that is the Note 5 working well?
    I'm not pleased with how it's been working since the update, but it's not even been 24 hours since the hard reset. I don't have even 20% of the apps on here that I did - I'm tied to a fricken charger all day. I have been an Android girl from the get-go, but I'm seriously considering moving to iHell, just so the phone will stay charged all day.
    04-08-2016 03:22 PM
    I'm not pleased with how it's been working since the update, but it's not even been 24 hours since the hard reset. I don't have even 20% of the apps on here that I did - I'm tied to a fricken charger all day. I have been an Android girl from the get-go, but I'm seriously considering moving to iHell, just so the phone will stay charged all day.
    Sorry to hear this. I use GSam to help dig into battery utilization details. That may help to see if an app or process is running away and not letting go of CPU or other system resources. If there is one, then disabling the app(s) to see if that helps reduce drain. Uninstalling the app(s) would be more of a last resort.

I've also seen recommendations to boot the phone into safe mode and let it run for awhile. That way no 3rd party apps (only stock) can run. May help narrow down if one of the 20% apps you've been able to reinstall is contributing to the problem. This is an alternative to try before uninstalling app(s).

Another thought is if the mobile or WiFi network connection is having connection issues as you experienced earlier, then that could cause higher battery drain as the mobile and WiFi radios are working hard. Or for some reason maybe the SIM card has flaked out.

As a reference point, my wife and I both have Note 5's on Verizon, and so far are good after updating to Marshmallow. I did a cache reset a few weeks after updating (just to try it), while she did not. Neither of us did a factory data reset before or after the update. It makes me wonder if something went wrong with your update that a factory data reset isn't solving.

Last thought is if you are close to an official carrier or Samsung store, then I'd take it in and let them know about the problems. Maybe a 2nd factory data reset will help (backup first). Not sure if the Samsung store have diagnostics utilities they could run. Or they may have the ability to reflash the entire OS image using Odin (that to my understanding is similar to a PC hard drive reformat and clean OS install rather than an OS upgrade). If none of the above work, I'd ask them for a replacement phone.
    04-09-2016 08:02 AM
    Sorry to hear this. I use GSam to help dig into battery utilization details. That may help to see if an app or process is running away and not letting go of CPU or other system resources. If there is one, then disabling the app(s) to see if that helps reduce drain. Uninstalling the app(s) would be more of a last resort.

I've also seen recommendations to boot the phone into safe mode and let it run for awhile. That way no 3rd party apps (only stock) can run. May help narrow down if one of the 20% apps you've been able to reinstall is contributing to the problem. This is an alternative to try before uninstalling app(s).

Another thought is if the mobile or WiFi network connection is having connection issues as you experienced earlier, then that could cause higher battery drain as the mobile and WiFi radios are working hard. Or for some reason maybe the SIM card has flaked out.

As a reference point, my wife and I both have Note 5's on Verizon, and so far are good after updating to Marshmallow. I did a cache reset a few weeks after updating (just to try it), while she did not. Neither of us did a factory data reset before or after the update. It makes me wonder if something went wrong with your update that a factory data reset isn't solving.

Last thought is if you are close to an official carrier or Samsung store, then I'd take it in and let them know about the problems. Maybe a 2nd factory data reset will help (backup first). Not sure if the Samsung store have diagnostics utilities they could run. Or they may have the ability to reflash the entire OS image using Odin (that to my understanding is similar to a PC hard drive reformat and clean OS install rather than an OS upgrade). If none of the above work, I'd ask them for a replacement phone.
    I'll install GSam and watch. I did the cache reset 5 days after the upgrade and that seemed to help. My last straw was trying to stream and it simply wouldn't stream nicely (and always did before the update) - I seem to be having the "wifi" issues that I've seen some people mention. I finally did the hard reset and I'm watching the next few days. On this same model, the last update bricked it. I had to get a replacement.
    04-09-2016 09:23 AM
    I had similar major issues with the screen usage running on average over 50% and cell standby 40% or more after MM update. I did all the cache partition cleanings, running in safe mode, and finally factory reset. All this while running phone conservatively. Verizon and their Samsung 'liason' determined warranty replacement.

Received a much older replacement with a battery that was used more than original and with Lollipop. Frankly, I have been PO'ED.

Well... still running Lollipop and it's running better than the original on MM. Will remain on Lollipop until I need to get another warranty replacement, then will go to MM.

Some phones... have difficulty with updates. Even though Samsung is getting better with updates, some times issues remain.

Good luck!

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-09-2016 11:27 AM
    I'll install GSam and watch. I did the cache reset 5 days after the upgrade and that seemed to help. My last straw was trying to stream and it simply wouldn't stream nicely (and always did before the update) - I seem to be having the "wifi" issues that I've seen some people mention. I finally did the hard reset and I'm watching the next few days. On this same model, the last update bricked it. I had to get a replacement.
    Oh, I've seen some mention recently of streaming music apps having problems after the MM update. Don't remember which one, but apparently can cause significant battery drain and random phone reboots. Hope everything gets worked out for you.
    04-10-2016 07:41 AM