Does anyone know if the stock sms app support direct share on Verizon?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-07-2016 08:09 PM
    Not clear if SMS or MMS would travel over WiFi-Direct. My understanding is that the stock SMS app would use celluar radio rather than WiFi, but I could be mistaken.
    04-08-2016 06:01 AM
    Not clear if SMS or MMS would travel over WiFi-Direct. My understanding is that the stock SMS app would use celluar radio rather than WiFi, but I could be mistaken.
    Thank you for the response, but direct share is a marshmallow feature that doesn't have anything to do with WiFi direct. It simply populates the share menu with specific contacts instead of just the message app. So when I hit share, instead of just selecting "Messages", I would be able to select a specific contact directly from from the share menu. It's not a huge deal, but I find it very convenient. There are 3rd party apps that take advantage of this feature, but the stock app doesn't seem to for some reason.

04-08-2016 08:06 AM
    Thank you for the response, but direct share is a marshmallow feature that doesn't have anything to do with WiFi direct. It simply populates the share menu with specific contacts instead of just the message app. So when I hit share, instead of just selecting "Messages", I would be able to select a specific contact directly from from the share menu. It's not a huge deal, but I find it very convenient. There are 3rd party apps that take advantage of this feature, but the stock app doesn't seem to for some reason.

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. Is "Nearby devices" the same thing as "direct share"? I don't see a "direct share" on my Verizon Note 5, but could be overlooking it.
    04-09-2016 08:33 AM
    It works on my Note 5. When I select Share, I get options to send it via SMS (using Textra) to the people I text with most often.

04-09-2016 10:33 AM
    It works on my Note 5. When I select Share, I get options to send it via SMS (using Textra) to the people I text with most often.

Yes, I get it on yaata sms as well, but I'm curious why it isn't available on the stock app. My wife has the s7 edge and it IS available on hers.

04-09-2016 02:38 PM